Community Message Boards

Thread: preparing cut veggies ahead of time

preparing cut veggies ahead of time

Hi everyone,

I'm about to go back to work after nearly a year of maternity leave, and I'm starting to turn my mind to getting ready in terms of keeping the healthful foods flowing - this year has been great for eating well, taking off some pounds, and I want to keep the momentum going.

Pre-baby I used to labouriously prepare cut veggies every evening for my DH's lunch and my own . . I've gotten out of the habit of making lunches (since I wasn't making my own my Dh had to fend for himself this year!) and I'm wondering if preparing some en masse on a sunday evening would work for the evening . . I've had bad experiences with dried out carrots, etc (I could use baby carrots but prefer the big ones!) - -and soggy broccoli etc - is there a method for storing veggies already cut up so that they last in the fridge for 3-4 days without either drying out or mushing? All suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

I do it all the time. I usually just rinse them and put them in a tupperware with a little bit of water on the bottom (1/2 inch maybe?) and put the lid on. Or you can do the same in a ziiplock. I think the key is to make it airtight, and make sure they are slightly wet. I know this will work for carrots, celery, cauliflower and peppers. It would probably work for broccoli, too, but I haven't tried it as we don't care for it raw.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Thanks kathy b!!