Community Message Boards

Thread: Question: A Pound of Butter = How many cups?

Question Question: A Pound of Butter = How many cups?

I want to make this recipe but I'm trying to figure out how many cups a pound of butter would be?

Also, a pound of chocolate = how many ounces?

thanks, erin

utrageous Oreo Crunch Brownies (Adapted from Ina Garten)

1 pound unsalted butter
    1 pound semisweet chocolate, chopped
    6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
    7 large eggs
    2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
    2 tablespoons vanilla
    2 1/4 cups sugar
    1 cup plus 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 cups chopped Oreo cookies about 50 cookies

Preheat the oven to 350.

Butter and flour an 12″ x 18″ x 1″ baking pan. I like to use foil for ease of getting them out. In a heatproof medium bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, heat butter, chopped semisweet and unsweetened chocolate until melted and smooth. Allow to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, whisk eggs, coffee, vanilla and sugar. Blend chocolate mixture into egg mixture; cool to room temperature.

In a medium bowl, sift together one cup flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture. In a small bowl, stir Oreos and remaining 1/4 cup flour. Add Oreo mixture to chocolate mixture. Pour batter into baking pan and smooth top with a rubber spatula.

Bake 28-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted 3 inches from center comes out clean with some crumbs attached; do not overbake. Allow to cool. Refrigerate to get clean cuts.

A pound of butter is 2 cups. A pound of chocolate (or anything, for that matter) is 16 oz.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Quote Originally Posted by badunnin View Post
    A pound of butter is 2 cups. A pound of chocolate (or anything, for that matter) is 16 oz.
    thanks alot!

Erin - I've spent years trying to memorize the imperial system solely for the purposes of cooking!

I still mess up over two things: Is it 3 teaspoons to a tablespoon or 4? And if 2 cups (or 32 tbsps, right?) of butter is a pound, and a pound is 16 ounces, I always have to recalculate how many tbsp of butter in an ounce (2:1, right?)
    Avril

There's always a reason to bake.

3 tsp. in a TB and yes, I believe that 2 TB = 1 oz.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .