Community Message Boards

Thread: Solicitation Calls.... how to stop them?

Solicitation Calls.... how to stop them?

I have recived a call from some credit card company 6 times in the last 4 days.... Today I stayed on the line and held for almost 5 minutes for the "agent who would make my life better" and when she came on I told her that I would like them to stop calling me. She hung up!

What can I do? I'm currently on hold (almost 8 minutes so far....) with ATT just to ask what I can do. The caller ID said the call was "out of area", so there is no info.

We are already on that "do no call list" which does not seem to be working lately. So frustrating!!!

Kim

I've always been told that you should immediately ask them, "Please remove me from your call list." If you say that, they legally must remove you. I think they have something like 90 days and then you can pursue legal action.

We have an unlisted number but still get calls. I always say what I said above and haven't gotten many repeats.

Good luck- I know that they can be so annoying. And I can't even imagine how bad they are going to get as the election approaches!!
    Lori
    Blog: www.RecipeGirl.com/blog
    Another blog: www.CulinaryCovers.com
    www.Twitter.com/RecipeGirl
    Good food, fine wine... what a beautiful day!

The "Do not call list" is something you may need to renew. I think when it originally started, it was for a certain amount of time. Google "Do not call registry" and go see if you're still signed up.

If you ARE signed up, remember that they can still call you if you have done business with them.

If you are signed up and they don't have a legitimate loophole, you can file a complaint. There are also strict rules about what a co. has to do when you ask them to not call, and you can complain if they don't. The registry web site should be able to help with that, too.

As for the specifics of credit card solicitations ... you can ask the three credit reporting agencies to NOT give out your info unless you've authorized it -- i.e., applied for something where they need to run your credit. A cc company won't solicit you if they haven't run your credit.

Finally ... if I get an automated call and it's not apparently legitimate ... I hang up.

I immediately tell them I'm on the Do Not Call list and they will apologize and hang up.

I still get the recorded messages though, and harassing calls from charities. I don't know how to stop those. Yep, can't wait for the politicians to start.

We used to get about 6 calls a day from creditors looking for the guy who had the number befor we got it. We would tell them over and over again that he no longer has that number but they continued to call anyway. So one day I told one of them they had reached the Smith Family Mortuary well he apologized and said they would remove my number and hung up. After about 3 weeks they all stopped calling.

I know your situation is slightly different. I've never had a problem with solicitation calls.
    Stay-at-home mom scratch cooking for a child with a severe peanut and mustard allergy.

I was told once that if you use profanity, you will be struck from the call list. I would never do this, but my DH was caught on a horrific day in his life by a telemarketer and swore a blue streak.

Our calls dropped to almost nothing after that. It was weird.
    Avril

There's always a reason to bake.

I highly recommend a service called "Call Intercept", if it is available in your area. When a telemarketer (whose telephone numbers are blocked, 99% of the time) calls you, it does not ring at your house first--a recording picks it up, and requests that you don't accept calls that are blocked and would the caller please state their name. If it is simply a friend of yours who has a blocked telephone number, your friend will say her name, which gets recorded. Telemarketer computer calls and other solicitation calls whose telephones numbers are blocked rarely if ever state their name. Even if they do, at that point the recording rings your house, plays back a taped recording of the caller stating his name, and gives you 3 options--you can either accept the call, not accept the call, or have the recording tell the caller not to call you anymore. If the caller did not state his name, the telephone call never ever even rings at your house. And, if it does ring, it has a different ring than normal calls so you know right away it's a "Call Intercept" call coming in. I have found this service to be a godsend. because I can't remember the last time a solicitation call ever got through to my house. It costs about $6 or so a month--a bargain!

Tangerine

You can always hang up on recorded messages. This is how I respond to live calls:

"By federal law, if I ask you to remove my number from your calling list, you are required to do it. And, I am asking you to do that, RIGHT NOW!"

They always agree, but some will say that it takes 90 days to remove. In my sweetest voice I say, "No, it WON"T take 90 days!" (And it never has.)

I used to get them all the time when my kids were little. It never failed, as soon as I had a diaper off and was in the middle of changing it, the phone would ring. I would hurry and finish up and run to get it, only to find out it was a sales call. They were also pretty good about calling 10 seconds after I had just gotten them to sleep for a nap, or worse when I had just dozed off after I had gotten them down for a nap.

I got privacy director added as a service to my phone and when I did get a call, I told them "I'm not interested, take me off of your call list." I also put my name on the "do not call" list. I don't get calls anymore. I don't know if it's because of any one thing that I did, or if it's a combo of them all. I do wish you luck. That can be sooooo annoying.

Thanks so much everyone... I already do most of what was suggested. What frustrated me yesterday, is that I had received this recorded call over 6 times. I had just always hung up on it.... but I had unfortunately had to "go answer" it all those times. So this time I thought I'd wait to ask to be removed from the list. It might have been the 8 or so minute wait on hold that I stupidly did only to have the lady hang up on me before I could even finish my sentence!!! I was so angry that I would have called back if it had a return phone number... but it just ID'd as "out of area". Then when I tried to call ATT (Why would I do that???) to see if they could provide the number or to file a complaint I was on hold for 15 minutes. Luckily a girlfriend called and I disconnected with them and just let it all go....

I guess someone if Iraq who doesn't even have a phone would consider my frustration silly... I think I'll just try to be thankful I have a phone and let it all go!!!

Kim