Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I substitute evaporated milk for heavy cream?

Can I substitute evaporated milk for heavy cream?

I want to make the following recipe for dinner tonight, but it calls for 1 cup of heavy cream. I just can't get myself to make recipes that use that much cream. I thought about reducing it to 1/4 cup of heavy cream and then using evaporated milk. Do you think it will work?

Angel Hair Pasta with Seared Scallops

Scallops
    1 1/2 pounds sea scallops , about 30 to a pound, small side muscles removed (see illustration below)
    Table salt and ground black pepper
    1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil

Pasta and Remaining Ingredients
    1 medium shallot , minced
    1 1/2 ounces fresh ginger , peeled, sliced thin, and julienned
    1 pound angel hair pasta
    2/3 cup dry white wine
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    1 cup heavy cream
    1/2 teaspoon table salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/4 cup finely chopped chives , or 1/2 cup chopped scallion greens
    2 plum tomatoes , peeled, seeded, and diced (optional)

1. Bring water to boil in large pot; heat oven to 200 degrees for keeping scallops warm.
    2. Sprinkle scallops on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat large (11-inch) sauté pan over medium-high heat until hot, about 1 minute. Add half the butter; swirl to coat bottom. Continue to heat pan until butter begins to turn golden brown. Add half the scallops, one at a time, flat side down; cook, adjusting heat as necessary to prevent fat from burning, until scallops are well browned, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Using tongs, turn scallops, one at a time; cook until medium-rare (sides firmed up and all but middle third of scallop opaque), 30 seconds to 1 1/2 minutes longer, depending on size. Repeat cooking process using remaining half of butter and scallops. Transfer scallops to heatproof plate and then to warm oven with door ajar.
    3. Return skillet to burner; reduce heat to low. Add shallot and ginger; cook until shallot softens slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. (Add pasta to pot of boiling water.) Increase heat to high; add wine and vinegar and boil, scraping pan bottom with wooden spoon to loosen caramelized bits, until liquid reduces to a glaze, 4 to 5 minutes. Add cream, salt, and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer until cream reduces very slightly, about 1 minute longer. Stir in chives or scallions, and tomatoes if desired. Drain pasta; pour into large bowl. Add sauce; toss to coat.
    4. Divide pasta among individual serving plates, arranging a portion of scallops around or on top of each. Serve immediately.
    Sherri

Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.

I'd definitely try that sub. Especially if you're not used to heavy, creamy sauces.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

If you try the substitution, let us know how it turns out. Sounds like a great recipe. I'm like you, I avoid those heavy cream recipes so will be curious to know how it works.

Sometimes adding a bit of cream cheese along with the evaporated milk and cream can help keep the smooth in the mouth texture.
    Anne

I've made that recipe before and my notes say "restaurant quality." It's really delicious. I used half and half instead of heavy cream and loved it. Please do let us know if evaporated milk works.

This was very good, and definitely a keeper recipe for us. I used both chives as well as the diced tomato. Next time I think I will add some minced garlic to the shallots/gingers. Very good.

I substituted the heavy cream with 1 cup of evaporated milk with 1 tsp of cornstarch whisked into it to thicken the sauce a bit, and it worked great.
    Sherri

Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.