Community Message Boards

Thread: Why is my nail splitting??

Why is my nail splitting??

A couple of months ago, the nail on my right thumb got a tear in it and it simply won't grow out. It's about 1/8" long. I generally have strong nails and have never had anything like this happen. I don't even know what kind of a doctor I would go see for something like this. Any ideas?

For treatment of fingernail problems, see a dermatologist. Nail splitting can be as simple as your hands being wet /dry to often. It can also be caused by overuse of nail polish remover. You can help it by wearing gloves when doing things where your hands would get wet and using lotions/ or creams that contain alpha-hydroxy acids or lanolin. The good news is that this is not usually caused by any serious condition or problem.

Good luck.
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

Ugh. I have this too. On my right thumb too! It's SOOO annoying!! I keep putting super glue on it to keep it from splitting down further. Then as it grows out, I cut it down as short as I can since I don't want it to catch on anything and split further. So far, no luck. No matter what I do, it keeps splitting. My nails grow pretty fast, but I cannot get it to grow to the point where I can cut the split part off. :mad: I was thinking about getting a fake nail put on top. That way it can grow WAY out while being protected. But I don't know if that would make it worse. There seems to be a "ridge" in my nail at that spot for some reason. I can't tell you how annoying this is! I'm petrified of it getting caught on something and ripping a whole half of my nail off!

My nails used to have a tendancy to split as well. A few thoughts:

-wear gloves when doing ANY housework, dishes, etc. Pain but yeah...do it.

-file in ONE direction only.

-take Vitamin E supplements.

-use Nailtek or Nailtique: http://www.nailtek.com/nail_tek/index.html

-if you want to cover, perhaps a press on nail? I wouldn't do acrylic and risk further damage.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to wear gloves more often. I do have the nailtiques stuff (it doesn't do much). I don't ever file my nails (I use a clipper to clip them straight).

DH told me that it's a dead cuticle problem. He had his finger smashed once and because a small section of cuticle was damaged he had a split nail for a long time (like at least a year). The doctor told him that it starts at the cuticle (that's probably why I have that "ridge" in my nail where the nail always splits). Not sure how to correct that or how my cuticle may have been damaged.

But maybe I will try the press on nail - at least so stuff doesn't catch on it. I tried nail polish, but the polish (even with three coats) is too thin and just splits as well. Useless.