Community Message Boards

Thread: Cream Cheese Sell-by Date?

Cream Cheese Sell-by Date?

I have some cream cheese that's about a month past its printed date. It hasn't been opened. Should I toss it? (I can't find the handy Web site that provides information about that sort of thing... should have bookmarked it!)

I have some cream cheese that's about a month past its printed date.
    I frequently use cream cheese that is well past its sell by date an has not been opened and have never had a problem.....I am also not as paranoid about sell by dates as some so take it with a grain of salt !

Sheila in MD

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila in MD View Post
    I am also not as paranoid about sell by dates as some
    Neither am I. I must have planned a cheesecake that never was to be... now I want to finally make those apple squares that were a hit here last year.

Thanks!

you can always tell when it's bad-- it turns orange or blue-green.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post
    you can always tell when it's bad-- it turns orange or blue-green.
    Orange? Really? I wonder what orange signifies has happened!

And I'd be fine using the cc as long as it looked/smelled ok- but a month after the sell by date is usually about when I'll pitch it.
    Life finds a way to amaze and amuse me everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by cumulus View Post
    Orange? Really? I wonder what orange signifies has happened!

And I'd be fine using the cc as long as it looked/smelled ok- but a month after the sell by date is usually about when I'll pitch it.

i guess i have different bacteria in my fridge-- i'm, a veghead, so...?

Talking

I've used unopened cream cheese long after the expiration date - never a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by WhammerJammer View Post
    I've used unopened cream cheese long after the expiration date - never a problem.
    Me, too! I purchase the cream cheese with great hopes of making a cheesecake and the day, week, and month gets away from me and it never happens..........

When I finally find the time, the cream cheese, ever loyal, is still there waiting for me!

I have never had an issue with using it after the date. And I have never had a complaint about my cheesecakes.

Blue and green cream cheese? I've seen it dried out after it is opened but never that before it's opened........

I guess it's common for soft cheese to take on an orange hue once they start to spoil. It also happens to soft mozzarella. Like others, unless the cheese turns color, I keep it. Same with sour cream.

I have never even looked at the exp date of cream cheese. When dairy turns it is obvious, so I don't think it is worth worrying about--and most cheeses will last a long time (unlike, say, milk, where I would pay attention to the sell by date so I knew it would be around for a while and not go bad on me).

Laura
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/