Community Message Boards

Thread: Does Worcestershire sauce spoil? Shelf life?

Does Worcestershire sauce spoil? Shelf life?

I have a soup recipe that calls for Worcestershire sauce --- I found a bottle in my cabinet that I don't recall how long I have had it. Certainly well over a year.

I was wondering if it goes bad -- I checked their website but I couldn't find any info about it. I will probably call them, but wondering in the meantime.

Thanks,

Had it been opened? Honestly, I've never known if you had to refrigerate opened Worcerstershire, but I always have! I would think as long as it hadn't been opened it's good! I always seem to forget that I've purchased that mack daddy sized Kikomann low-sodium soy sauce and there for about two months I was buying one whenever I saw it on sale. I now have at least four bottles left and the oldest one is just over a year, but I'm thinking I'm ok!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

I've never refrigerated mine, and I've never given any thought to it going bad. After being opened, it just stays in the cupboard along with soy sauce, hot sauce, pomegranate molasses, regular molasses, etc., for as long as it takes to use it up. Even if it's years. At one point I ended up with two opened bottles of worcestershire sauce, and it took a very long time to use them both up. All I can say is that it seems to stay the same and I'm still here to tell about it.

I've had an opened bottle in my fridge for well over a year and have never wondered about it spoiling. I'd use it if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by greek salad View Post

I was wondering if it goes bad -- I checked their website but I couldn't find any info about it. I will probably call them, but wondering in the meantime.
    Well, they'll probably tell you to replace it just so they can sell more product. There's a conflict of interest there. They're hardly going to tell you how few times in your lifetime you will need to buy more worcestershire sauce.

I'd use it, too.

But on a related note...we go through worcestershire, soy and hot sauce quicker than we go through catsup! So never a problem. At least 2 backup bottles are a must so there's no run out !

From the California Poison Control Center:

"Mustard, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and other condiments should be used within a year of opening the container."

That being said, I know that worcestershire sauce is made in a very long process- it takes at least 2 years sitting in a barrel to come to the perfect stage for using it. I've never thrown out a bottle of worcestershire- I've thrown out bottles of balsamic vinegar that tasted off to me, but never the worcestershire.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

You people need to drink more Bloody Marys...
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

I tossed my bottle of Worcestershire when I had to scale down to use a smaller fridge during the remodel. I'm pretty sure the bottle says to refrigerate after opening to maintain best flavor. It's the same with mustard & ketchup.

I've never refrigerated worchestershire, and I've had bottles open for years. It's one of those high-vinegar, fermented condiments (like soy sauce, prepared mustard, etc.) that I never think of as having potential to spoil. After all, it was invented and used long before refrigeration.

I keep soysauce, teriaky, mustard, catsup, molasses etc in the fridge after opening.
    Curleytop

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    I tossed my bottle of Worcestershire when I had to scale down to use a smaller fridge during the remodel. I'm pretty sure the bottle says to refrigerate after opening to maintain best flavor. It's the same with mustard & ketchup.
    Not sure if the labeling is different here, but out of curiousity, I checked to see if the label on my bottle says to refrigerate after opening. It doesn't.
    "Auntie, you are a good cooker." ~ My nephew, age 5

Mine all say to refrigerate after opening!

Angela

Lea and Perrins is getting wierd...mine does not say to refrigerate. Wonder why some do, some don't? At any rate, I refrigerate because there's just the two of us here, and we have the room in the fridge.
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

Quote Originally Posted by shscharles View Post
    Lea and Perrins is getting wierd...mine does not say to refrigerate. Wonder why some do, some don't? At any rate, I refrigerate because there's just the two of us here, and we have the room in the fridge.
    Same here. I stick things in the fridge that are not even opened yet, since sooner or later they will go in the fridge anyway. My Lea and Perrins and all my soy/tamari/teriyaki sauces say to refrigerate.

I took a closer look at the bottle and it did have a best buy date of 7/07. My bottle wasn't refrigerated and I couldn't find any info regarding that on bottle or on web site.