Community Message Boards

Thread: Freezing Baked Potato Soup?

Freezing Baked Potato Soup?

Do you think that CL's Baked Potato Soup can be frozen? I'm trying to be super orgainzed this year, so when I make a meal I try to make two and freeze one. This is one of our favorites.... but with the sour cream and milk in it I wasn't sure it would be "freezable"???

Kim

The potatoes may taste a bit mealy and you'd have to reheat in a double boiler...you might do a test run with just one bowl.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I don't have the recipe in front of me, but I agree with Sneezles that it probably wouldn't freeze well. Would it be possible to prepare most of the soup, and then freeze just that part? Then add the taters & dairy on the day you want to serve it? At least you'd cut down on part of the labor for next time.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

I have frozen CL's Baked Potato soup many times without any problems. Since for the most part the potatoes all break down when you make the soup and are not in chunks, it really does not turn out mealy. There may be some loss of texture, but IMHO it was just fine(and I added all the dairy before freezing).

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by testkitchen45 View Post
    I agree with Sneezles that it probably wouldn't freeze well.
    I actually didn't say it wouldn't freeze just that the texture may change and if so some may not like the change.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Quote Originally Posted by karen w View Post
    I have frozen CL's Baked Potato soup many times without any problems. Since for the most part the potatoes all break down when you make the soup and are not in chunks, it really does not turn out mealy. There may be some loss of texture, but IMHO it was just fine(and I added all the dairy before freezing).

Karen
    We've done the same - I didn't think it changed the texture that much to notice.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post
    I actually didn't say it wouldn't freeze just that the texture may change and if so some may not like the change.
    Sorry!

Glad to hear from OPs that it freezes fine. I love making a huge batch of soup; it's not much more work than making just a little.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan