Community Message Boards

Thread: 1 oven for thanksgiving

1 oven for thanksgiving

I am having Thanksgiving and only have one oven. Any ideas for recipes that can be prepared ahead or done in the microwave? I wanted to do a Potatoe Gratin recipe I found in November issue of Bon Appetit but I don't know how well it would hold up if I did it the day before and reheated it.

Judging from the fact that leftover casseroles from T-giving taste great the next day, I would think almost anything you made like that would be just fine to prepare earlier in the week and then heat up on Thursday.

Don't know if you have any 'outside' options, but a HUGE benefit for me has always been that my husband smokes the turkey outside in 'the Big Green Egg'. That really frees up the oven space!

I gave up on roasting turkeys a long time ago, they were never moist and we had to choke them down. We never stuffed the turkey always did the cornbread dressing in a pan and poured the juices over, before cooking. So, I figured, what the heck.

Now, we do the turkey breasts and we do them in the crock pot. Moist turkey every time. Granted they aren't quite as pretty on the plate, but I would rather have flavorful than presentation, anyway, but that would depend on your personal prefrences.

The sweet potato casserole is something that would do well to refrigerate and then re-heat in the microwave. I have had re-heated vegetable casseroles and they were as good the next day as the day they were cooked.

Another thing is timing. Look at what you are serving. If you are roasting the turkey, you need time for it to sit before you begin the carving, so try to figure what you can cook, during that time. I can cook two casseroles at once by increasing the time and temp a little...and add a salad that can be done the day ahead or deviled eggs, that can be done a day in advance.

Any desserts can be done the day before, including pies...

Good luck! Hope you have a wonderfully tasteful Turkey Day! Let us know how it went!

Joyce
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Last year I made the Crockpot Stuffing which was posted here. (I'm not sure how to do the link for you). It was really good and then I didn't have the turkey using as much oven time. Also, when I had only one oven I kept an old portable convection oven for reheating items that I had made the day before.

I wouldn't make the mashed potatoes ahead, but most other things will hold up well. My mom used to make everything early in the week and just do the turkey and potatoes on Thanksgiving.

It will be just fine....good luck

I too only have one oven. I make my mashed potatoes the day before (they are called "company potaoes") and they taste GREAT the next day in the microwave. I do my yams in the crockpot in the a.m. and warm up veggies in the oven while the turkey is resting and we're making the gravy. Works out well every year!

In fact, you can even cook the TURKEY ahead, if you need to. We did this last year: my DH roasted the turkey here at home in Columbus on Wednesday, and then we ate it on Friday at my aunt's house in Cincinnati. Nobody in my family minded, it fit our time-and-date-and-oven constraints, and it tasted just fine. We will probably do this again, because my aunt doesn't have an oven large enough to roast a big turkey in.

The key is in the planning! I will have to go look for that crockpot stuffing recipe. Any chance of sharing the company mashed potato recipe?

Have you ever barbecued your turkey? I haven't done it, but my brother has. That would save you some room. (Maybe it's really smoking, but it is done on the bbq.) Also, last year, we made regular mashers and kept them warm in the crock pot. I know that doesn't necessarily free up oven space, but it does help when you have one less thing to keep warm.
    Good luck. Sounds like you're getting some good tips here.
    TKay

Here is the potato recipe -- I usually double it using a 5 lb. bag of potatoes and rarely need the milk. They are best baked but turn out great microwaved too.

COMPANY POTATOES
    3 lbs. potatoes
    1 8 oz. cream cheese – room temp.
    ¼ cup butter - unsalted
    ½ cup sour cream
    2 eggs lightly beaten
    1 t. salt
    ½ cup milk – may not need

Can be baked or microwaved

Quote Originally Posted by MaryMac View Post
    Last year I made the Crockpot Stuffing which was posted here. (I'm not sure how to do the link for you). It was really good and then I didn't have the turkey using as much oven time. Also, when I had only one oven I kept an old portable convection oven for reheating items that I had made the day before.
    I love the crockpot dressing! I actually may have been the original OP, but it's a recipe from All Recipes...you can try a search with my user name, that will make it easier....
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

I make the crockpot dressing, also. And I have, on occasion, used my Nesco roaster (portable oven), but don't always really need it.

Every time I read the title of this thread I think "I "oven" Thanksgiving" - like a foodie version of "I *heart* Thanksgiving."

Quote Originally Posted by Meganator View Post
    Every time I read the title of this thread I think "I "oven" Thanksgiving" - like a foodie version of "I *heart* Thanksgiving."
    LOL. That is funny.
    TKay

grilled turkey

The Greatest Grilled Turkey
    Submitted by: Christine
    Rated: 5 out of 5 by 13 members Prep Time: 30 Minutes
    Cook Time: 3 Hours Ready In: 3 Hours 45 Minutes
    Yields: 10 servings

"Grilled turkey is a tender, juicy holiday treat!"
    INGREDIENTS:
    12 pounds whole turkey
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
    salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Prepare an outdoor grill for indirect medium-high heat.
    2. Rinse turkey and pat dry. Turn wings back to hold neck skin in place. Return legs to tucked position. Brush turkey with oil. Season inside and out with Italian seasonings, salt, and pepper.
    3. Place turkey, breast side up, on a metal grate inside a large roasting pan. Arrange pan on the prepared grill. Close lid on grill and Grill 2 to 3 hours, to an internal thigh temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C). Remove turkey from grill and let stand 15 minutes before carving.
    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2007 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 10/30/2007

I have made this many times and it is very good.

Can you make Potato Gratin the day before?

I have a gas grill. Do you think that would work for a stuffed turkey. I have my grandmothers recipe for a stuffing that is weird but a must for cooking a turkey at our house. It is made with hamburger, onions, apples, dried plums (prunes as we used to know them as), celery and some but not a lot of bread cubes. It is mostly meat. It makes the turkey so moist that it is unbelievable. I have my family convinced that if you make a turkey with out the dressing it will not be as moist.
    Now if I could just come up with a recipe for Potato Gratin that I could make the day before and just microwave it. Has anyone done that?

No idea about stuffing in the bird or grilling for that matter, but do you have any friendly neighbors that will be out of town? That's what we always had to do b/c my mom has one small oven, but our neighbors were always gone for thanksgiving, so they kindly let us use their double ovens.....and fridge space
    Amy

Om Mani Padme Hum

you can use you gas grill in place of your oven. Just keep you grill to the temp of your oven and use a thermometer for the turkey. Just make sure you use a thermometer on the stuffing, it needs be be minimum 165 degrees temp for it to be cooked properly.

I think most gratins actually taste better if they cooked and then reheated. Can you post the BA potato recipe?

Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by art View Post
    I have a gas grill. Do you think that would work for a stuffed turkey. I have my grandmothers recipe for a stuffing that is weird but a must for cooking a turkey at our house. It is made with hamburger, onions, apples, dried plums (prunes as we used to know them as), celery and some but not a lot of bread cubes. It is mostly meat. It makes the turkey so moist that it is unbelievable. I have my family convinced that if you make a turkey with out the dressing it will not be as moist.
    Now if I could just come up with a recipe for Potato Gratin that I could make the day before and just microwave it. Has anyone done that?
    I have used my gas grill as an second oven on many holidays and it works out just fine. I have cooked th bird both stuffed and unstuffed. I have one of those thermometers with a remote sensor so I put the probe in th turkey and keep the other piece in the house with me and I check the bird about every 45 min to 1 hour I rotate the pan to avoid cold spots and cook over indirect heat. If the bird is browning two fast just cover with foil like you would in your oven.

I've only ever had one oven and always managed without a second thought.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Bethany,
    That's funny. That was my thought exactly. The house I grew up in only had one oven, and each of my grandmothers only had one oven. So maybe our Thanksgiving menu just organically developed to facilitate preparation with one oven.

The reason I didn't post before is that I couldn't think of a single suggestion or trick. The only thing I use the oven for is the turkey, the dressing, the sweet potatoes, and the rolls. The dressing and sweet potatoes go in the oven with the turkey towards the end of roasting. Then I put the rolls in to bake while the turkey is roasting.

Mashed potatoes, green vegetable, fresh cranberry sauce, and gravy all happen on the stove.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

Sometimes we smoke our turkey outside, sometimes we get a local awesomely good barbecue place to do it. Sometimes we fry our turkey if we can find 2 or 3 other people who also want to do it, otherwise what a waste of a huge amount of peanut oil. It makes all the difference when you have your oven for other, more important (in my opinion) parts of the feast!
    Margaret

Art, someone may have posted this recipe:

New Turkey Recipe

Here is a new way to prepare your Thanksgiving or Christmas Turkey.

1. Cut out aluminum foil in desired shapes.
    2. Arrange the turkey in the roasting pan, position the foil carefully (see below )
    3. Roast according to your own recipes and serve.
    4. Watch your guests' faces.

I do hope your days turns out perfect!
    Joyce
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Talking Funniest turkey ever!

JMarie,
    That image of the turkey in a swim suit is too funny.
    Break me up! I will look for the BA recipe for Potato Gratin.

We just found out yesterday that we won't be able to make it home for the family thanksgiving, so I feel your pain. I'll be trying to come up with plans for Thanksgiving with an RV oven, hopefully the November issue of CL will have some recipes that will work for that, still have to really read it.

Bon Appetit recipe for Potato Gratin

potato gratin with porcini mushrooms and mascarpone cheese
    Bon Appétit | November 2007

Over-the-top delicious.

Makes 8 to 10 servings

Michael Lomonaco

4 ounces dried porcini mushrooms*
    1 cup boiling water
    2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
    1 1/2 cups mascarpone cheese** (from about 1 1/2 seven-ounce containers)
    1 cup whipping cream
    3 garlic cloves, chopped
    Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
    2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes (about 5 large), peeled, cut crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices

Place porcini and 1 cup boiling water in medium bowl. Place small bowl atop mushrooms to keep submerged. Let soak 20 minutes. Drain and coarsely chop mushrooms.

Melt butter with oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Whisk 1/4 cup Parmesan and next 4 ingredients in small bowl; season with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Mushrooms and cheese mixture can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover separately and chill.

Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter wide shallow 2-quart baking dish. Arrange 1/4 of potato slices in bottom of dish. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Scatter 1/4 of mushrooms over. Repeat. Spread half of cheese mixture over, shaking dish to settle. Repeat with remaining potatoes and mushrooms in 2 layers each; spread remaining cheese mixture over. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons Parmesan over. Place gratin dish on rimmed baking sheet.

Bake gratin until top is brown and sauce is bubbling at edges, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Let gratin rest 15 minutes before serving. DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Tent loosely with foil and rewarm in 300°F oven 20 minutes.

I may make this ahead of time and try and reheat it on Thanksgiving.

DmOrtega Guest
    I've never had more than one oven, never known anyone with more than one oven, never been to anyone's house that had more than one oven. Anyone that has 2 or more better count themselves lucky and be able to cook!

ONe Oven

I too have only one oven and we are feeding 20 this year. We are having two 17lb turkeys smoked by a local resturant. We are doing TG dinner on Saturday, to facilitate hunters in the group who will be out in the woods on TG Day. so the resturant will not do the birds until Saturday and we will pick them up about 1 hour before we plan to eat and keep them warm on the Grill. I will have my dressing in the oven, gravey on the stove and this year I'm doing mashed potatoes with prucitto and chives and old fashion southern green beans. The pies and cakes will be done the night before.

In my dream house I will have one oven and dishwasher in the kitchen and a second set in the Butlers pantry as well as an additonal fridge. Which if I didn't have two big dog crates in my utility room, I could easily have that set up currently...Hmmmm sounds like a renovation in the back of my mind....

Quote Originally Posted by DmOrtega View Post
    Anyone that has 2 or more better count themselves lucky and be able to cook!
    No kidding. One of my greatest friends has a kitchen that we would all die for - high end commercial appliances, subzero refrigeration, dual ovens, convection, vegetable sink . . . truly top of the line. She's lucky if she boils water for tea.

Art, I only have one oven too so I know what you mean. I have an electric roaster so I always do the turkey in that and save the oven for the side dishes. When I purchased my electric roaster they were pretty pricey, but I saw one the other day at Target for under $40. They are a wonderful investment - you can make anything in them. I did 200 hotdogs for a kids party once in it!

Debie
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.