Community Message Boards

Thread: Frozen tofu

Atlanta GA USA

Frozen tofu

I had some leftover firm tofu (it had been freshly made at the Korean grocer) that I knew I wasn't going to get to, so I froze out. Now what do I do with it? Will it stir fry okay or should I just crumble it up and use like textured vegetable protein in stuff like chili and sloppy joes? I can't picture what the texture will be like...
    “It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society”.----Krishnamurti

raleigh, nc
    the texture of frozen tofu is sorta chewy & spongy, which makes it good for stirfries & stew-like dishes where you'd want more substance. because it's that spongy texture, it also will sop up sauces & marinades.

as for recipes, fat free vegan kitchen recently posted a tofu & vegetable cacciatore over roasted spaghetti squash which sounded really delicious.

(ETA: looks like the link doesn't show in the post, so here's the recipe)
    Tofu and Vegetable Cacciatore
    (printer-friendly version)

1 package (14-16 ounces) firm or extra-firm tofu, frozen and thawed (see note)
    1 large onion, coarsely chopped
    1 bell pepper, coarsely chopped (I used 1/2 red and 1/2 green)
    1 carrot, coarsely chopped
    3 cups eggplant, coarsely chopped (about 1 small globe or two Japanese eggplants)
    3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 cup mushrooms, coarsely chopped
    1/2 cup white wine (see note)
    1 cup vegetable broth (I used fatfree "chicken-style" bouillon)
    1 6-ounce can tomato paste
    1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, canned
    1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
    1 teaspoon basil
    1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    generous grating of fresh black pepper

Defrost the tofu and squeeze as much liquid as possible out of it. Squeeze it gently so that it doesn't tear. A little liquid left inside will not hurt this dish. Cut into cubes about 1/2-inch thick. (Frozen tofu tends to expand when cooked, so err on the side of smallness.)

Spray a large non-stick pot with olive oil and saute the onion until it begins to turn golden. Add the rest of the vegetables, cover, and cook for about 5 more minutes at medium heat, stirring every minute. Add tofu and the white wine, and cook uncovered for about 1 minute.

Combine the broth and the tomato paste and stir until smooth. Add it, the tomatoes, and all remaining ingredients to the pan. Stir well and turn heat very low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.

Serve over spaghetti squash, pasta, rice, or potatoes.

Makes about 6 servings, each containing 142 Calories (kcal); 4g Total Fat; (25% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 691mg Sodium; 5g Fiber.

I freeze tofu the quick and easy way. I simply take the unopened box of tofu and put it in the freezer for at least 24 hours. When I'm ready to use it, I either put it in the refrigerator overnight to thaw or thaw it in the microwave. Then I remove it from the water and gently squeeze it between my hands to get out as much water as possible. (You will be amazed how much there is!) This is a great way to use tofu that is about to reach its expiration date; it will stay good in the freezer for months.

The white wine gives this dish a great flavor, but if you don't have any, a light red wine will do. If you don't want to use alcohol, substitute the same amount of vegetable broth.

Finally, you can substitute the frozen tofu with baked or pan-fried tofu if you'd like, but frozen tofu is much easier.
    What am I? Flypaper for Freaks?