Community Message Boards

Thread: 15 oz. Can Pumpkin - How Many Cups?

15 oz. Can Pumpkin - How Many Cups?

Does anyone know how many cups are in a 15 oz. can of pumpkin puree? I've seen 1 1/2 and also 1 3/4, and am wondering which is correct. Thanks.

Well, technically, I suppose the correct answer would be 1 7/8 cups, but that would be if you did a perfect job of scraping out the can.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Quote Originally Posted by mrswaz View Post
    Well, technically, I suppose the correct answer would be 1 7/8 cups, but that would be if you did a perfect job of scraping out the can.
    Are you basing this on the 15oz measurement? I'm pretty sure that's weight, not volume.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

It IS weight, not volume. I learned fairly recently and somewhat to my surprise that in the US, most can measures are by weight, not volume.

I was wondering this exact question this week, since I wanted to make a half-recipe of pumpkin penne and only had one of the big cans of pumpkin. I just "guesstimated" half a can, since for the penne it didn't have to be super precise.
    "In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child

I have a 15-ounce can of Libby's pumpkin. Serving size is 1/2 cup. It says that the can contains about 3 1/2 servings. So I'd say it contains about 1 3/4 cups. I'd measure it for you, but it is not a full can. I used 1/2 cup to make the CL Pumpkin Biscuits. YUM.
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service

Cool

As it happens, this question comes up all the time in my work, so I've memorized that Libby's site indicates that size can equals 1 3/4 cup as indicated above.

I was just wondering the same thing and this is what Libby's FAQ says:

Question: How much pumpkin is in each size can of Libby's Pumpkin?

Answer: A 15-ounce can of LIBBY’S 100% Pure Pumpkin contains 1 3/4 cups of pumpkin. A 29-ounce can of LIBBY’S 100% Pure Pumpkin contains 3 1/2 cups of pumpkin.

Stacey

Thanks very much!

Quote Originally Posted by badunnin View Post
    Are you basing this on the 15oz measurement? I'm pretty sure that's weight, not volume.
    Oops. I cook and freeze my own pumpkin puree, and when I put it in the freezer bags, I measure 2 cups, and then write 16 ozs. on the bag.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Quote Originally Posted by mrswaz View Post
    Oops. I cook and freeze my own pumpkin puree, and when I put it in the freezer bags, I measure 2 cups, and then write 16 ozs. on the bag.
    i wouldn't worry too much-- probably picks up some liqid from freezing anyway.
    i made pumpkin pie last night, using fresh puree, and it was the same amount as a can! the recipe called for 2 cups, i used what i had, it was fine. you can always add a little more of the other liquid the recipe calls for, or a dash of milk, to make up for it, in muffins and cake and such. with pie, it's not even necessary.