Community Message Boards

Thread: Bathroom design Q: Two mirrors, two sinks?

Bathroom design Q: Two mirrors, two sinks?

Dh decided to tear out the vanity (the floor and toilet too) from one of our bathrooms while I was gone over the weekend. Whee! We used to have a lenghty vanity, but only one sink. Since this is the bathroom our two boys use primarily, we want to put in two sinks. The question is, do we mount two mirrors, one over each sink? Or is it better to do one giant mirror? Dh got rid of the medicine cabinet because it was old and rusty. He does not want to replace it with another. But we need someplace to store toothbrushes and (when the boys are older) deodorant and that type of thing. Suggestions? In a home I used to rent, there were two sinks, each with its own medicine cabinet above.
    Help! Oh, our style would be more modern if anything. We do have traditional stuff too, but nothing antique or country, if that helps.
    TKay

We did a vanity with 2 sinks with 1 long rectangular mirror...I think it all depends on taste...here is the pic...bathroom isn't 100% done yet though...

http://photos-180.ll.facebook.com/ph...14427_1637.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by erinlovesmarc View Post
    We did a vanity with 2 sinks with 1 long rectangular mirror...
    This is what we have as well.
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

One of my friends remodeled her bathroom and put in two sinks, two mirrors and put one tall cabinet between the two mirrors. It looked really nice and solved the whole problem of not having a medicine cabinet. Sorry I couldn't find a picture to share but I saw something similar at Home Depot a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JenCooks View Post
    One of my friends remodeled her bathroom and put in two sinks, two mirrors and put one tall cabinet between the two mirrors. It looked really nice and solved the whole problem of not having a medicine cabinet. Sorry I couldn't find a picture to share but I saw something similar at Home Depot a few weeks ago.
    I like this idea. I have two sinks with one rectangular mirror and I don't like it. Two framed mirrors would look really nice.

I think it all totally depends on the mirror and the style of the bathroom. If it's a kids' bathroom, I'd focus more on which would be easier to keep clean :-)

I personally think the 2 separate mirrors looks a bit more elegant. But it wouldn't have to be that way. It could be fun & more kid-friendly if you did it right.

Check out the websites for Pottery Barn and Crate & Barrel. They've got tons of pictures of bathrooms.

I know your Dh doesnt want to do another medicine cabinets, but take a look at these. They look just like mirrors, and I would do 2

here is their website

http://www.medicinecabinetshop.com/?...hest&tid=broad

I think it is a personal preference, as well. We just moved into our home and there are double sinks in each bathroom. The previous owners had large, rectangular, mirrors over the entire vanity. IMHO, these were sorely dated and we had them removed (along with the 1980s cabbage rose wallpaper ). We have had the walls painted and have installed two framed mirrors, one above each sink. I love the look!

Why would you need medicine cabinets? Couldn't they store their toothbrushes and things in a drawer in the vanity(s)? Or were you considering something like pedestal sinks?

Are you going to have two vanities and two sinks or one vanity and two sinks?

If you want to get a medicine cabinet with a mirror you don't have to settle for one that looks utilitarian. You can get a decorative one like the one pictured below.

Last edited by Gumbeaux; 11-06-2007 at 05:37 PM.

For me, a medicine cabinet is a must-have. We have a bathroom with a long vanity w/two sinks and one big mirror above. One side slides open to a medicine cabinet, which I like. I'd either find a mirror like this or go with the two framed mirror-medicine cabinets. Have fun with the re-do!

We have a 2 sink bathroom. The previous owners had one rectangle mirror. We changed it to 2 hanging mirrors which I still love the look of after 2+ years. We moved the big mirror to the opposite wall and attached it up and down rather longwise. (Part of it is behind the bathroom door.) Much easier to clean and is useful now.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

In our master we have 2 separate sinks and mine has also the area to sit and put make up etc. that one we chose a big frameless mirror and a light fixture with 5 lights. Dh's sink has 3 lights and same mirror but smaller. STill both mirrors cover the whole area of the sink or vanity.
    Our guest bathroom has one long 2 sinks area and one large mirror again covering the legth of the sinks and 5 light fixture positioned in the middle of mirror area. I like both set ups. It really depends on your taste.

Our new master bath has two sinks, two separate mirrors centered above each sink, one light fixture (5 lights) centered above the mirrors, and one narrow shelf centered underneath the mirrors for toothpaste, hair spray etc. Then we hung a wooden medicine cabinet (painted white) above the toilet. The vanity we bought also has three small drawers on each side for additional toiletries. We really like the way it turned out.
    “the greatest risk of eating is getting run over on the way to buy your food, not from the food itself.”

Ian Shaw, Is It Safe To Eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurielee View Post
    I know your Dh doesnt want to do another medicine cabinets, but take a look at these. They look just like mirrors, and I would do 2

Thanks, Laurilee. This is just the type of thing that might sway dh into doing medicine cabinets.

Thanks for all the great ideas and tips. I think we are going to do one long vanity with two sinks in it (rather than two separate vanities--don't think we have enough room for two). The bath used to have one long mirror that covered the entire vanity. I like the idea of two separate mirrors, but haven't shopped that much to see what's out there. You've given me some good ideas and directions to consider.
    Leightx, I like storing stuff in cabinets as opposed to drawers. Somehow it seems tidier to me. Not sure why exactly. Maybe because in a drawer, you're laying your toothbrush down? And no, we're not doing pedestals. We need the storage of a vanity.

April, what you mentioned would work for our bathroom too. We could put a medicine cab above the toilet and just do the mirrors with small shelves. I think I need to do some shopping!
    TKay