Community Message Boards

Thread: How long do leftovers stay fresh in the fridge?

Question How long do leftovers stay fresh in the fridge?

Lately I've been in kind of a pasta salad craze at work...making up salads on Sunday to bring to work for the week.

My question is how long does it stay in the fridge? Specifically rice or pasta type dishes with or without dairy product in it? Some of these recipes are for 6 servings so I want to make sure I can still eat it on Friday if I make it the previous Sunday.

Thanks!

JeAnne

I have to say that I usually keep them 'til they smell bad. Granted, I generally make only two servings of anything, so I don't really ever have to worry about it, but I'd say that 3 to 5 days is a good range, with the longer time period referring to dishes without meat or dairy ingredients.
    To avoid wasting food, though, (and not have to eat the same thing so many times), you can always scale down recipes by half, a third, a fourth, whatever you like, really.

Thanks Emily

Usually I half dinner recipes etc because I can't deal with too many leftovers.

I guess I'm just trying to "cheat" and not do any cooking for lunch except on the weekends I love being able to make something on Sunday and having it for the week. I think I will stick with the 3-5 day rule ...I do not want to have anything questionable.

JeAnne

I wouldn't call that cheating -- you're just very efficient