Community Message Boards

Thread: Cheesecake made with Ricotta?

Cheesecake made with Ricotta?

I am thinking that "New York Style" cheesecake is made with ricotta, not cream cheese. I love that dense heavy cheesecake (like at the Stage Deli!!) and you just don't get that texture with cream cheese.

However my Google searches are giving me recipes with cream cheese and my mother's recipe which I've always thought of as the best (but I haven't had it in years) has cottage cheese! That can't be right. My memories are of her complaining about how expensive it was to make and I just can't imagine there's cottage cheese in there. My mother would die before she ate cottage cheese.

am I crazy? Maybe you shouldn't answer that! But I am looking for what I think is a ricotta cheesecake that comes out super dense and heavy.

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

I'm not a cheesecake expert, but as far as I know, ricotta cheesecakes are lighter and fluffier than cream cheese cheesecakes. I think the ones at Stage Deli probably use LOTS of cream cheese to make them so dense and heavy.

Gracie,

I think you should be looking for Italian New York cheesecake recipes. Those will be the ones made with ricotta.
    Life ain't Certain. Ride Your Best Horse First

Seconding the mention of Italian Cheesecake. I've made this one before, and it's delish and easy.
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

Maybe this site will help you. It includes a recipe that is designated as being from the Stage Deli.

Cheesecake Recipes
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

Loren,
    I think that cheesecake made with ricotta is the Italian dessert Torta di Ricotta, and is quite different from the creamy style American cheesecake.

I also had the most creamy, dense cheesecake at a restaurant and it was wonderful. I have tried some recipes and I think that to get this you need lots of cheese and few eggs. It depends on the quality of cheese too.

There was a recipe for a thick, creamy cheesecake in Epicurious, but I cannot find it now. If I recall well, it has a ginger crust. Let me see if I find it tomorrow, it could help.

I was just watching a show on Food Network about cheesecake and the regular NY cheesecake is made with cream cheese. They were talking to some nuns who make it and they used LOTS of cream cheese.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Ricotta Cheesecake

Serving Size : 12

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 ounces graham crackers -- crushed
    1/4 cup sugar {I always omit, graham crackers are sweet enough}
    1 tablespoon cinnamon -- optional
    1/2 cup butter -- melted

3 1/2 cups dry curd cottage cheese -- or ricotta cheese
    1 cup sugar
    4 eggs
    1/4 cup flour
    1 pinch salt
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 teaspoon vanilla

In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, cinnamon (if using) and butter. Mix well, press onto bottom and sides of a buttered 9" springform pan. In a large bowl, cream ricotta (or cottage cheese,) and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in flour and salt. Add cream and vanilla. Pour batter into crust. Bake 350 degrees, 1 hour. Cool completely before removing from pan.
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Thank you for all the help! I guess I am not crazy!

I want to go through that link and look at the recipes compared to the ones you all posted.

Missindi - did your cheesecake have that dense texture? ADM, did you make the one you posted?

The cheesecake texture I'm after is dense but kindof dry but still creamy if that makes any sense.

Loren

Just reading this thread and giggling to myself: I'm Italian and I think I was 22 before I learned that some people make cheesecake with cream cheese!
    "There are times when we're dirt broke, hungry, and freezing, and I ask myself, why the hell am I still living here? And then they call. And I remember." ~Mark, Rent

Quote Originally Posted by LA98 View Post
    Just reading this thread and giggling to myself: I'm Italian and I think I was 22 before I learned that some people make cheesecake with cream cheese!

Do you have a family recipe to share?

Loren

What do you all think of this recipe?

There was also this one which has both ricotta and cream cheese.

Loren

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    Thank you for all the help! I guess I am not crazy!

I want to go through that link and look at the recipes compared to the ones you all posted.

Missindi - did your cheesecake have that dense texture? ADM, did you make the one you posted?

The cheesecake texture I'm after is dense but kindof dry but still creamy if that makes any sense.

Loren

Junior's in NYC was, is, the standard bearer for NY-style cheesecake which is dense, rich, and cream cheesed. My grandmother made a different dense and delicious cheesecake with cottage cheese that she mashed-- we're still trying to pin down the recipe. To mnake your cheesecake dense but really creamy, bake it in a double foil-wrapped springform pan set in a roaster pan half-full of water. it really does incredible things to the texture, as does preparing the cheesecake and leaving it in the fridge, covered and unbaked, for a day or two before baking.

What do you all think of this recipe?

There was also this one which has both ricotta and cream cheese.

Loren

i don't mean offense, but if it has cornstarch in it, it's not really cheesecake to me; you might as well make one of those horrid creamy uncooked box styles (my sister loved them). I would bet that the cornstarch in that double cheese one is there to counteract the water in the ricotta-- most ricotta cake recipes i've seen have some draining involved. Gale Gand has a mixed cheese cheesecake recipe too.

If you are using cottage cheese do you need to use a salt free version? I can't picture regular salty cottage cheese in a cheesecake.
    Anne

This is the recipe I was talking about. Almost all the reviewers say this is thick and creamy.

Strawberry Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust Bon Appétit | June 1999

Cheesecake and Champagne are a great finale. Begin making the dessert a day ahead.

Serves 10.

For crust
    3 cups gingersnap cookie crumbs
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
    For filling
    3 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3 large eggs

2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled, halved

Make crust:
    Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 325°F. Blend cookie crumbs, sugar and butter in processor until well mixed. Press crumb mixture onto bottom and halfway up sides of 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 1/2-inch-high sides. Bake crust until set, about 10 minutes. Transfer to rack.
    Make filling:
    Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until smooth.

Beat in vanilla. Add eggs and beat just until blended.
    Pour filling into crust-lined pan.

Bake until sides of cheesecake are slightly puffed and begin to crack, and center moves slightly when pan is shaken gently, about 1 hour. Transfer cake to rack. Cool completely.
    Cover; chill overnight.
    Release pan sides from cheesecake.

Arrange strawberries around outer edge of cheesecake. Cut into wedges.

Cover; chill overnight.
    Release pan sides from cheesecake.

Arrange strawberries around outer edge of cheesecake. Cut into wedges.

Ad: The all-new Infiniti EX. EXtraordinary. The personal luxury crossover.
    Epicurious.com © CondéNet, Inc. All rights reserved.

Speaking of cheesecake, someon posted a cheesecake recipe last year that had a sour cream topping on it. I think someone made it for a DH's birthday? Does anyone know the recipe I'm talking about. (I know this is a long shot, I'm sorry).

I wish I could remember what kinds of cheese it used, or who posted it, but I don't. It was an amazing cheesecake though - my family loved it! I'm hoping to make it again for christmas dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by BakerJane View Post
    Speaking of cheesecake, someon posted a cheesecake recipe last year that had a sour cream topping on it. I think someone made it for a DH's birthday? Does anyone know the recipe I'm talking about. (I know this is a long shot, I'm sorry).

I wish I could remember what kinds of cheese it used, or who posted it, but I don't. It was an amazing cheesecake though - my family loved it! I'm hoping to make it again for christmas dinner.
    nigella.com has a great one like that, called London cheesecake.

Gracie, if your Mother's recipe called for dry curd cottage cheese, that may have explained her complaining about the cost. I have only ever seen it once around me and it was three times the price of regular cottage cheese. I see the recipe ADM posted suggests the dry curd cottage cheese instead of ricotta. Could you post the recipe from your mom?
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

I'm on the hunt for Nigella's recipe, thank you!

Found the recipe I was talking about - it was posted on Ana's website - Kitchen Space. I was wrong, it has sourcream in it but not as a topping.

How about using this WS Ricotta Cheesecake recipe? Make the cheesecake part and add whatever you wish as the topping.

Jane, I made a sour cream topped cheesecake once, and the recipe was from Gourmet. It was heavenly. Try Epicurious!

And Gracie....the real NY cheesecake is definitely made with cream cheese, not ricotta.

Angela

Quote Originally Posted by Angelina View Post
    And Gracie....the real NY cheesecake is definitely made with cream cheese, not ricotta.

Angela
    So then what gives it that "drier" dense texture? LOTS of cream cheese? I really want a recipe like that!

Loren

Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post
    Junior's in NYC was, is, the standard bearer for NY-style cheesecake....
    "Is," but definitely not "was."

Junior's cheesecake didn't come into existence until 1950. Lindy's restaurant was the source of the original, classic famous New York cheesecake that started it all, going back to the 1920s!

Growing up in Connecticut with frequent trips to the city, like Jack Dempsey's for steak, Lindy's, also on Broadway, was the place to go to for cheesecake in the late 40s and 50s.

Lindy's cheesecake

Bob

This debate could go back and forth forever. I'm from New York and I'm Italian; but this explanation from Joy of Baking sheds the most light on the ricotta/cream cheese question.

"New York Style Cheesecakes are creamy, and smooth, and rich, and dense, and absolutely delicious. There are two popular cheesecakes in America today, the ones made with cream cheese and the ones made with ricotta. John Mariani tells us in his 'The Dictionary of American Food & Drink' that Americans have come to know cheesecakes made with cream cheese as 'New York' (or ''Jewish'), and ones made with ricotta 'Italian'. It is also interesting to note that both types have their roots in immigrant New York City neighborhoods, both start with either a pastry or graham cracker crust, and both use the standard eggs and sugar in their filling. The only real difference being that one uses cream cheese and the other ricotta and that the 'Italian' cheesecake sometimes contains candied fruit."

Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226 View Post
    "Is," but definitely not "was."

Junior's cheesecake didn't come into existence until 1950. Lindy's restaurant was the source of the original, classic famous New York cheesecake that started it all, going back to the 1920s!

Growing up in Connecticut with frequent trips to the city, like Jack Dempsey's for steak, Lindy's, also on Broadway, was the place to go to for cheesecake in the late 40s and 50s.

Lindy's cheesecake

Bob
    Bob, do you like Lindy's better than the Stage Deli's? I also wanted a cheesecake pan as tall as the ones they use at the Stage!

I don't feel like I know yet what sort of recipe is going to give me the texture I'm looking for.

Loren

Gracie,

I just ate a Carnegie Deli (about 1 1/2 blocks away from Stage Deli) NY cheesecake shipped from NY this past Sunday which I topped with cherry pie filling. It is creamy and dense with a cookie bottom. Carnegie shares the recipe here.

Theirs is high, but the recipe says they bake in a 9X2" springform.
    Last edited by foodfly; 12-14-2007 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks for the link! There's nothing extraordinary about that recipe.

I'm not up for a cheesecake-a-thon (calories and $ ) but I may have to try some recipes out to find what I like.

Loren

Thanks for the link! There's nothing extraordinary about that recipe.

I'm not up for a cheesecake-a-thon (calories and $ ) but I may have to try some recipes out to find what I like.

Loren
    Exactly. 'cept we've got the calories and the bakeries are making the $$$s. My Carnegie order came way of Omaha Steaks.