Community Message Boards

Thread: microwaveable containers that are safe?

microwaveable containers that are safe?

Is there such a thing as safe plastic/microwaveable food storage for taking my lunches in that DOESN'T LEAK??!!
    I just saw the new RubberMaid Premier, but they are polycarbonate (a 7 on the recycle list) and so give off those nasty plasticizers/estrogenic things.

If any knows of a safe product and one that is leakproof, please, please share!
    I don't even care if it stains
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

It doesn't appear that any are really, definitively safe for microwave use:

Recycling Types

Recycling symbols on the container indicate the type of plastic, but are not definitive of microwave safety. (They also don't indicate that the plastic is recyclable.) Symbols that identify the type of plastic in a container do not themselves indicate microwaving suitability. Some packages made of polyethylene terephthalate (PET, type 1), for example, are fabricated for high heat resistance, while others are not.

The "recycling types" are at least useful for determining which plastics to avoid in the microwave.

(These "recycling types" are also known as "SPI numbers", named after the North American Society of the Plastics Industry, which developed the codes.)

So here's the list

Type 1 - polyethylene terephthalate (PET)

May be safe if marked "microwave safe", although some recommend against food contact when microwaving.

Type 2 - high density polyethylene (HPDE)

May be safe, although some recommend against food contact when microwaving.

Type 3 - PVC, polyvinyl chloride, vinyl

Do not use in microwave. Also, PVC often contains bisphenol A

Type 4 - Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE)

(mixed commentary regarding microwave safety)

Type 5 - polypropylene

May be safe, although some recommend against food contact when microwaving. "Type 5" are the most commonly labeled "microwave safe". Despite this, I have observed "Type 5" containers with partially dissolved surfaces.

Type 6 - Polystyrene, styrene, polystyrene foam

Not heat stable. Do not use in microwave. Do not microwave food in a styrofoam container! In addition to not being heat stable, polystyrene is a potential human carcinogen and usually contains bisphenol A.

Type 7 - polycarbonate; "other" (can contain bisphenol A; most polycarbonate contains bisphenol A)

Do not use in microwave. (Note: Polycarbonate nursing bottles which have been boiled or washed more than 20 times or are badly scratched should be thrown out.)

Paper - food safe but Avoid using paper coated with plastic in the microwave.

(Some types of paper may catch on fire under some circumstances. Some sources suggest avoiding using newsprint. Paper which is not food grade may also include toxic inks.)
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I read somewhere on this board about portable glass microwave dishes to take to work, but I haven't been able to find them in the store, and now I can't find that thread either.

I have a few of the martha stewart glass with the light green lid...OYE do they leak!!!

I have a bunch of these Pyrex containers.

I use them to store food in my pantry, as well as put leftovers in the frig, and freeze in them too. I prefer glass over plastic but I've never traveled with anything liquidy in them. You can microwave and bake with these.

I am not sure if they are leak proof. After dinner tonight... one of the bowls has my leftover Butternut Squash and Pear soup, I will pour some liquid in them and shake 'em and see ....

Pyrex makes glass bottom bowls with a pop vent on the plastic lid. They are fairly leak proof, but I would advise placing them in your lunch container in an upright position just to be safe.
    Corningware also makes a similar one with the vented lid.

They are both more expensive than most containers made totally of plastic, but they hold up indefinitely.

Without the lids, they can also be used in a regular oven.
    Ginny

Thanks again.

Has anyone seen or tried these?
    http://www.organize.com/glasslock-2-...d-storage.html

Ana,
    Those sound like a great solution. I did find them on another site and it seems like a good deal with 7 containers for $45. I may just order some myself because right now I won't microwave in plastic but this would cut down on multiple dishes at lunch time.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I have several lunch boxes and I rec the following two- they have worked great! They are not microwavable but the laptop comes with a thermos and the to-go ware can fit a smaller glass container like applecrisp posted into the top section for anything leaky or that would need microwaved.

I plan on getting a thermos later today so that I could take warm food. One of my first graders has the first lunch box and that thermos works great and looks to be a perfect size.

laptop lunch box link

To-go ware link
    Cheryl

Some of the Tupperware items are made with Lexan, is that a bad one?
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Quote Originally Posted by swquilts View Post
    Some of the Tupperware items are made with Lexan, is that a bad one?
    Lexan is a trademark name (GE I believe) for their polycarbonate....it is considered one of the hard-plastics (not good).

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post
    Ana,
    Those sound like a great solution. I did find them on another site and it seems like a good deal with 7 containers for $45. I may just order some myself because right now I won't microwave in plastic but this would cut down on multiple dishes at lunch time.

Susan, I calculated the pieces individually and they are cheaper separately...go figure!
    THANK YOU for finding that site...they were a bit cheaper there than the one I found. I bit the bullet and ordered some 30, 37 and 17 oz. to see how well they will work for me.

I haven't looked for these online but if you are near a CorningWear outlet, Corning still makes single-serve containers. The container is like a small square casserole dish & it has a plastic top. Freezer, dishwasher & micro safe.

DH takes leftovers everyday for lunch & uses these. It's great since I can package up the leftovers directly in them & then put them in his lunch bag in the morning. If the meal is soup, I may use a heavy duty rubberband around it all just to help insure it doesn't leak. It helps to have a lunch bag that doesn't get tossed around or crammed somewhere sideways.

All the plastic stuff eventually stains or cracks or warps. I've had really excellent results from these containers for years. Even if the plastic tops become history someday... you can still use the ceramic bottoms as oven casseroles or sub foil as a cover in the fridge or freezer.
    "I can read and write if that's what you mean. I'm not thick or anything just don't ask me where the commas go."
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave

Ana,
    Just an FYI for you to check out. I've seen those Glass Locks at Wal Mart. If you have one near you, you may want to check it out. They were by all of the plastics like Rubbermaid etc...

Karen

Karen,
    thank you.
    I did already order mine but if I love them, I may get more from there.
    Thanks!

Ana,

Have you received these yet? I'm wondering how they seal.

Thanks!
    Katy

Katygirl,
    I just got them yesterday....I'll be packing up my first lunch experience tomorrow for Monday's work and will report back then.
    So far, they look great. If Walmart does have them and they keep the seal, I'll get the largest ones later on.

Update..
    I LOVE these things!!!
    OK, sure, I wish glass didn't weigh so much more than plastic, but WOW...not a leak to be had plus the cooking in the microwave was so much more even!!
    LOVE them!!

I want some! I wish my Tupperware cabinet wasn't so full, but I am also trying to avoid heating plastic in the microwave.

Which site did you end up ordering from?

Thanks for the review.

I ordered from the one Sneezles posted, but karen w posted that she's seen them at Walmart. I will go there and see before I order more.
    Mine were packed very well and no problem ordering...except for the fact that shipping just seems outrageous everywhere (to me, anyway).

I only ordered the square ones but now am curious about the round

Quote Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
    Update..
    I LOVE these things!!!
    OK, sure, I wish glass didn't weigh so much more than plastic, but WOW...not a leak to be had plus the cooking in the microwave was so much more even!!
    LOVE them!!
    I've been anxiuosly awaiting your review- I am about to toss all my plastic but well, needed something to replace them with. So glad they worked out- thanks for sharing!
    Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
    Update..
    I LOVE these things!!!
    LOVE them!!

Ana,
    Are you still in love?
    What are your fave sizes for the containers and are there any you wish you had?
    Thanks!!
    Cheryl
    Cheryl

I still love them!!
    I just said to DH that I can't believe, NOT ONE LEAK when I schlep my frozen (neary thawed) blueberries with yogurt/cinnamon/flax to work, anymore!

I have three sizes..I'll have to go look at the oz/cup size but I have the smaller square ones for breakfast that I pack, and the mid-range for most lunches. I got 2 of each of those, and one of the larger ones, incase I have something odd-shaped to bring.

let me check and I will edit .......
    DRAT, you would think they'd have a size marked on them...and I tossed the invoice...
    I'll go look on the site and try to see if I remember...

OK, I have the 17 oz for sure and I believe the 30 and 34 (2 of the 17 and 30 and 1 of the 34 oz.).
    I was going to buy more, but this seems enough for work. I haven't checked to see if our Walmart carries them yet.
    Last edited by wallycat; 02-16-2008 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks so much for checking on the sizes!!!!
    Cheryl

I'm so excited to find out about the Glasslock containers. I, too, have the Martha Stewart glass containers, however, I bike to work so my lunch *always* ends up sideways so I cannot take those because the lids don't fit tightly. Just a quick question, more out of curiosity.. Are the Glasslock containers oven safe? It doesn't seem to say on the website.

Thanks!

-carrie

I don't know if they are oven safe....
    I think they are similar to pyrex, but I don't know for a fact...and the lids are plastic, so off limits...I won't even put the lids in the microwave and only use the top rack of the dishwasher.

OK, I found this, so I am clueless...first I found:
    GlassLock has an ergonomically-designed lid that seals to base unit, but is designed for easy removal. The body is made from tempered glass to withstand the temperatures of microwave heating. The container is air-tight and water-tight. The simple yet stylish design can go from storage direct to the table. GlassLock is microwave-, dishwasher- and freezer-safe. Can Not be used in the oven.
    Then I found:
    exciting new GLASSLOCK range of storage solutions. Made of tempered glass GLASSLOCK can be used in the oven as well as the microwave, fridge and freezer.
    Last edited by wallycat; 02-16-2008 at 07:19 PM.

Thanks so much Wallycat for this recomendation! Love em!!! I have been stubburn and couldn't wrap my cheap self around the shipping costs and FINALLY have found them at Target. I am going to pick up more next time I go!