Community Message Boards

Thread: Stirring natural peanut butter

Stirring natural peanut butter

I love natural peanut butter but it is a bit of a pain to get it mixed before that first use. I've finally resorted to just dumping it all in a small bowl, mixing it, and returning it all to the jar. Nothing else has worked well for me.
    I saw in this month's Gourmet a gizmo that sits atop the jar for that purpose, but I hate stuff like that ("uni-taskers" as AB says). Just wondering if anyone here has a simple way of dealing with this?
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Buy Jif! Problem solved! haha
    Traveling the country writing about where we go, what we eat, where we stay, and taking a few pictures along the way. Sometimes I even update.

Boooooooooo!
    Where's the barfy smiley?

I store mine upside down--both before the first use and after. That leaves the oil layer at the bottom, rather than the top. It seems to be easier to stir that way without it slopping all over. The other alternative is the same as yours--dump it in a bowl and mix it up!
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

Ever try rolling the jar around the floor? I used to do that and it seemed like it should be the best method...only it wasn't.

I have done the upside down method too.

I now just pour off some of the oil (so it doesn't spill out when I stir) and stir and then keep it refrigerated. The refrigeration really helps with the seperations.

DH and I each have our own PB's. I cannot stand any PB made with sugar such as Jif or Skippy....yuck! DH cannot stand my Adam's PB which is made with peanuts and salt only! I recently bought Adams Creamy PB by accident as I love the texture of crunchy. I was pleasantly surprised that there is still a nice texture to the Adams Creamy....
    Go for it!

I push the peanut butter around to make a hole in the center to let the oil drain down into and them mix a little in each time I eat some until it's low enough to mix in thoroughly.

Okay --- THAT was a run-on sentence, but you get the idea.

Stirring Natural PB

I buy the 2-26 oz packs sold at my wholesale warehouse and use my KA mixer to mix both jars. Then I refridgerate both jars upside down, the one jar is kept in back of refridgerator so I know which has been used. Sorry but at least it means less cleanup because I mix both jars at same time. Wish there was a better way but I really hate Jiff and Skippy type PB and the Natural tastes so much better to me so it's worth the effort of cleanup for me! Steph

I have the same problem too, usually ending up with an oil spill all over my counter. I do think using a knife to "cut" the oil into the PB is easier than using a spoon.

I give it to my husband. He can magically mix an entire jar in a few seconds without making ANY mess. I've watched him and still have no clue how the man does it.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarNSpice View Post
    I have the same problem too, usually ending up with an oil spill all over my counter. I do think using a knife to "cut" the oil into the PB is easier than using a spoon.
    I also use a knife to mix mine.

I'll have to look for Adams Creamy. My brand of choice is Maranantha. They make a "no stir" natural peanut butter but I think they add something. I just buy the pain in the butt stir kind.

I accidentely bought unsalted and didn't realize it until I ate some. Peanut butter needs salt so I added my own. I actually liked my salted version better so I may do it again.
    Visit my blog at http://www.theglobalkitchen.blogspot.com/
    "A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch."

James Beard

I dump mine in a bowl and blend with a little honey with my beaters, then shovel it back into the jar.

This is the description from the Crazy Richard's site. It's what I do but it's stil messy.

To stir, slide a stiff butter knife down the inside of the jar; while rotating gently, pull blade toward the center of the jar, allowing the oil to fill the space created. Rotate the jar as you gently raise and lower the blade in the center of the jar in a mixing motion until the desired consistency is reached. You may refrigerate the jar to slow the oil separation, but it is not necessary.
    Marie

-- The future is no place to place your better days

I have the gizmo thing. It works great! Prior to buying it, I dumped mine into the mixer and put it back into the jar.

It depends on the brand how much difficulty I have with getting it stirred. Fortunately, the Central Market brand is very easy to mix and actually stays mixed. It also doesn't have any added sodium so that's a plus for me.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post
    It depends on the brand how much difficulty I have with getting it stirred. Fortunately, the Central Market brand is very easy to mix and actually stays mixed. It also doesn't have any added sodium so that's a plus for me.
    I was wondering if it was brand dependent myself--I am fairly new to natural PB, I buy Maranatha, it is easy to stir, and I rarely have to stir a second time (maybe a swirl or 2 just to be certain).

I also buy their "no stir" for when a baking recipe insists the peanut butter not be natural. So I have both in my fridge.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

I use a table knife to sort of cut through the peanut butter and stir the oil in, right in the jar. I've never really had a problem doing this. I did try the turning the jar upside down method, after reading about it on the BB, but the oil didn't rise up through the peanut butter at all. Everything stayed right where it had been. I'm satisfied with the knife method.

i buy the skippy NATURAL kind because it has emulsifiers in it and still spreads like butter. i also go to whole foods sometimes and do the freshly ground peanut or almond butter too. the containers are small and it's pretty easily spreadable.

Isn't it funny how you come up with a peanut-butter-stirring method all on your own, and you think you discovered the wheel, and then you find out everybody else had the same idea too?

I use the knife method. Make a hole to the bottom, let the oil drain down and mix it all up. I rarely have a spill. And I usually buy the organic Whole Foods store brand.

Angela

I also store it upside down after I first buy it; then, stir it up with a knife. Easiest and least messy solution for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
    I give it to my husband. He can magically mix an entire jar in a few seconds without making ANY mess. I've watched him and still have no clue how the man does it.
    LOL - my dad is the exact same way! I've watched him do it and have never been able to replicate what he does without making a mess.

I use a knife.

My MIL uses her food processor. I don't like that idea because it creates too much clean up. However, I did use my food processor the other day. I got a jar that had very little oil and it was virtually impossible to stir it - I couldn't get it to budge.

Seems like it's just one of those PITA chores that we're stuck with............

Maybe an Immersion Blender. I've been buying the Costco Kirkland brand and slowly the guys are getting converted. No one complained about the PB&J sandwiches for lunch Friday. I was suprised how much was left on the bottom of my first jar, so I made sure to really stir the second jar and pour off some oil upon opening like the instructions say.

BYTW

The Natural Oatmeal packs from Costco are very good. A lot less sugar and the Flax Seed one is good too.

Kathy

Thanks, all!
    Obviously I'd just stirred up a jar before posting, and that's what got me asking, so I should be good for a while -- then I'll come back to this thread next time. I think I did the knife thing before just giving up and dumping it all in a bowl but I'm not certain.
    Never gave the brand a thought: I've been buying WFM 365 for so long because it's just peanuts and salt (or no salt if you choose) and it is CHEAP and I'm in WF several times a week. I think TJ's fares better in taste competitions and probably costs the same, but I doubt I'll switch brands. Anyhow, interesting that brand is a factor. And as far as having to "re-stir", that's never been an issue - at least not in any appreciable way. It's just that first time out the gate, with that oil slick on top.
    Glad to get the suggestions!

Suggest not using Immersion Blender.....

unless you've got a very powerful one! I burned the motor out of my new KA trying to blend my Smuckers Natural PB. I now use my Mixer.:mad: Steph

To be honest, I don't mix. I pour off the oil and then put the pb in the microwave to soften it up before I use it.

Visit my blog about cooking and a new season of life at http://reconnecting-with-my-kitchen.blogspot.com/

This is your life, are you who you want to be?
    ~ Switchfoot

Quote Originally Posted by re121258 View Post
    This is the description from the Crazy Richard's site. It's what I do but it's stil messy.

To stir, slide a stiff butter knife down the inside of the jar; while rotating gently, pull blade toward the center of the jar, allowing the oil to fill the space created. Rotate the jar as you gently raise and lower the blade in the center of the jar in a mixing motion until the desired consistency is reached. You may refrigerate the jar to slow the oil separation, but it is not necessary.
    This is what I do, although I never put as much thought into it as Crazy Richard did! And I do refrigerate mine.
    Margaret

Apparently Lehman's has a tool just for this job. I read about it in this month's Real Simple magazine (page 54).Lehman's Peanut Butter Mixer

I store the peanut butter upside down. When I'm ready for that jar, I put it in the microwave for 20-30 seconds upside down. I take it out and shake it a few times and then stir. By then normally almost all of the oil is sucked into the peanut butter and it's an easy stirring job. I haven't had any problem with it seperating after this. I use Wild Oats brand PB, in the plastic jars. Love it!
    Christine
    "The greatest danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark." Michelangelo Buonarroti