Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO: best way to make popcorn

ISO: best way to make popcorn

Ok, I feel soooooo stupid asking this.

I need to make really good popcorn next weekend. We're hosting our wine club for champagne night and doing fun stuff as a surprise. One dish is popcorn with truffle salt. But I don't really eat popcorn. Cannot remember the last time I had any.

So...is there a particular microwave brand that is great? I'm thinking minimal butter, if any. Do I buy kernels? Then what?

Seriously, I can cook. Honest I can!

TIA!

I'd say that if you want really good popcorn - don't buy the bagged microwave stuff!!! Here are the ways I think are best to cook popcorn...

On the stove in a pot with a lid, add a tablespoon or two of oil ( I like peanut oil for popcorn ) and 1/3 - 1/2 cup of kernels.

There's a microwave popper that works really well too. Here's a link to the one I have -http://www.amishcountrypopcorn.com/mipobo.html - I bought mine at Target for about $12. With this popper, you can add oil then popcorn and pop in microwave OR you can pop it without oil.

If I'm going to add a seasoning or salt and I want it to stick, I will pop with a T or 2 of oil.

I hope that helps!

I know that others have their favorite methods and I'm sure they'll pop in for help!
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

We use Redenbacher's Smart Pop microwave popcorn. It's 94% fat free. It does have a smidge of butter in it, but not a lot. It doesn't advertise itself as low sodium, but it isn't too bad at 350mg per serving from a 2 serving bag that yields 7 cups popped. So, it's not real salty tasting. So, you could possibly add some of your truffle salt to this, or even use truffle oil as this is already pretty low fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Terri_A View Post
    I'd say that if you want really good popcorn - don't buy the bagged microwave stuff!!! Here are the ways I think are best to cook popcorn...

On the stove in a pot with a lid, add a tablespoon or two of oil ( I like peanut oil for popcorn ) and 1/3 - 1/2 cup of kernels.
    This is my favorite method as well--the microwave stuff really can't touch it as far as flavor goes.
    “the greatest risk of eating is getting run over on the way to buy your food, not from the food itself.”

Ian Shaw, Is It Safe To Eat?

I would definitely make it on the stovetop the old-fashioned way.

Sally Schneider did a segment on The Splended Table (www.splendidtable.org) about using flavored popcorns as appetizers, and I think she even mentioned truffle popcorn specifically. You can go to the web site and listen to the show -- just go to the archive section, it was the last episode in Dec I think.

We purchased a Presto Poplite Gourmet Hot Air popper from Walmart, and it makes the best popcorn we've had. It even has a little cup on top that melts butter while the corn is popping. It's so inexpensive that perhaps you could purchase it and try it, then compare the popcorn with the other methods everone else suggested. (I'm into that overkill-knock-yourself-out-so-it's- absolutely-the-most-perfect-outcome-you-could-have behavior)

I'm a stove top popper as well. I don't measure -- just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan and then the kernels to cover that.

If you want to taste the truffle salt, you really don't want micro popcorn and the stuff they put in there.

Stovetop in a heavy pan or use a Whirlypop. I bought a Presto microwave popper to use during our kitchen remodel and there was no comparing the corn it popped to what I can pop on top of the stove.

another thread on the same subject at GW

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    I'm a stove top popper as well. I don't measure -- just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan and then the kernels to cover that.
    I agree - just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan + kernels to cover bottom of the pan, in a single layer. When the corn is fully popped, over low heat, it will lift the lid, no matter what size pan you have used.

If you don't want to use oil, always use an air-popper. I have a recipe for homemade microwave popcorn (healthier choice than commercial), if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by ADM View Post
    I have a recipe for homemade microwave popcorn (healthier choice than commercial), if anyone is interested.
    that sounds interessting - i would love to see the recipe

My favorite restaurant serves and amuse bouche of parmesan truffled popcorn that is incredible so I would be all over this little treat. I don't make popcorn at home so I'm no help there just thought I'd reinforce a great idea!

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

* Exported from MasterCook *

Popcorn - Microwaved

1/2 cup popcorn
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil

Mix popcorn and oil. Pour into brown paper lunch bags. Fold tops of bag over twice, tape. Microwave, on HIGH, 2 1/2-3 minutes, or until you hear pauses of about 2 seconds between pops. Carefully open bags, to avoid steam. Salt, or season, to taste.

[2 tablespoons unpopped corn = 4 cups popped.]

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    Whirlypop
    Me too on the Whirlypop. I bought one about a year ago after reading this thread - I love it! I used to pop in a pot on the stove but prefer the Whirlypop because it does a better job with keeping all the popped corn in the pot and the steam vents better too. I also find that more of the kernals pop.

Cheryl

Thank you all SO much! I guess it wasn't that silly of a question after all. I need to go to Walmart for other stuff so maybe I'll pick up a whirlypop thing and see how that compares to the stove top method.

Thanks again!