Community Message Boards

Thread: ? about baking in wet climate

? about baking in wet climate

I never was much of a baker, but now with a toddler and staying home - well, I find myself baking a lot and am starting to notice the difference in the weather and the need to adjust something if I choose to bake on a rainy day. SF is a pretty damp climate (compared to living in Phx, for example) and when we move on from here we will be in the Pacific NW, so more wet weather.

What adjustments do you make?

My recent baking was the clementine olive oil cake. It was really good, but took way longer to bake than the recipe said, although the top browned very early in the process ( I was nervous, but it all worked out). Also the batter was VERY thin. I was surprised by this. One reviewer metioned that for her it took 5 min less baking time and for me it took 10 min more and probably could have used 3 more minutes in the end.... (disclaimer: we are in the second week of soaking rains and more rain to continue)

anyone with some wet weather baking tips for me?

Thanks!

I've baked in both a semi-arid climate and a maritime one, and haven't personally found a big difference in baking results from one to the other. I do know that if your flour is damp, it's not going to absorb as much liquid, so you may need to adjust the amount of liquid in your recipe accordingly (particularly a yeast dough). I also know that you're not supposed to make meringue or divinity when it's really damp.
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

Yea, my first piece of advice was going to be: Don't even think about trying to make any kind of nougat in this town. Trust me on this one.

I'm interested to see what others have to say since I've never baked anywhere else. I know it has a huge influence on bread-baking but I didn't know it effects pastry-type dishes too.
    (And believe it or not, were it not for this BB I never would have known that I live in a humid climate! )
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    (And believe it or not, were it not for this BB I never would have known that I live in a humid climate! )
    It's your positive outlook, Canice! Hey, I didn't realize I was short until I went to college and wanted to borrow my friends jeans... It's all in the attitude!!