Community Message Boards

Thread: Frozen Heavy Cream - can I use it for ice cream?

Frozen Heavy Cream - can I use it for ice cream?

Okay, I have a container of heavy whipping cream in the freezer from this weekend. From what I read I shouldn't use it to whip, but can use it in "cooked" goods. However, I also saw somewhere that it wouldn't emulsify properly in custards, ice creams, etc. What to do?!? Has anyone used frozen heavy whipping cream in ice cream before? Here's the recipe I am eyeing.....

Jessica

Chocolate-Hazelnut Gelato Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
    Show: Everyday Italian
    Episode: Frozen Treats

2 cups whole milk
    1 cup heavy cream
    1/2 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup
    4 egg yolks
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread (recommended: Nutella)
    1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, crushed, for garnish

In a saucepan combine the milk, cream, and 1/2 cup sugar over medium heat. Cook until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes.
    Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whip the egg yolks with the remaining sugar using an electric mixer until the eggs have become thick and pale yellow, about 4 minutes. Pour 1/2 cup of the warm milk and cream mixture into the egg mixture and stir. Add this mixture back into the saucepan. Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 7 to 10 minutes.

Place a strainer over a medium bowl and pour the warm custard mixture through the strainer. Stir in the vanilla and hazelnut spread until it dissolves. Chill mixture completely before pouring into an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions to freeze. To serve, scoop gelato into serving bowls and top with hazelnuts.

Funny you ask this. Here was my experience yesterday.

I decided on pumpkin ice cream...and for the first time (and w/ trepidation) used frozen heavy cream for part of it. (Didn't realize it had frozen).

I steeped some fresh grated ginger with 2 cups of heavy cream. After the steeping process, cooking 4 yolks w/ pumpkin and spices, then straining it, I added the "block" of frozen cream to the strained hot mixture. This cooled the mixture down quickly. It turned out fine. I did not notice anything unusual texture-wise after churning it.

Dolores
    "we can't go 'round measuring our goodness by what we don't do, by what we deny ourselves, what we resist and who we exclude...
    we've got to measure goodness by what we embrace, what we create, and who we include."
    Pierre Henri in Chocolat
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.photographybydolores.com

Quote Originally Posted by dneilson View Post
    Funny you ask this. Here was my experience yesterday.

I decided on pumpkin ice cream...and for the first time (and w/ trepidation) used frozen heavy cream for part of it. (Didn't realize it had frozen).

I steeped some fresh grated ginger with 2 cups of heavy cream. After the steeping process, cooking 4 yolks w/ pumpkin and spices, then straining it, I added the "block" of frozen cream to the strained hot mixture. This cooled the mixture down quickly. It turned out fine. I did not notice anything unusual texture-wise after churning it.

Dolores
    I wonder if it would make any difference because all of my cream is frozen, so I would have to heat it with the hot mixture.....I might just give it a try, but I would hate for it not to work. Anyone else have any experience with this????

Quote Originally Posted by jessicacoy View Post
    I wonder if it would make any difference because all of my cream is frozen, so I would have to heat it with the hot mixture.....I might just give it a try, but I would hate for it not to work. Anyone else have any experience with this????

every recipe i have for ice cream says to avoid using frozen or ultra-pasteurized cream. i would use it ofr other things-- also, it won't whip well, so don't bother with that use. for soups and sauces, it will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post
    every recipe i have for ice cream says to avoid using frozen or ultra-pasteurized cream. i would use it ofr other things-- also, it won't whip well, so don't bother with that use. for soups and sauces, it will work fine.
    Thanks! I don't think I will chance it then. I wasn't planning on using it to whip, but thought I could do some dessert with it. Sounds like I had better stick to a soup or sauce though......Shucks! I guess it will stay in the freeze for a bit~