Community Message Boards

Thread: If you like seitan... (Veganomicon review)

If you like seitan... (Veganomicon review)

I finally bit the bullet and made a seitan-based dish tonight. I have issues with the stuff. It looks wiggly and jiggly, like the offal from some non-meat animal. (And yes, I do know that doesn't make sense. ) The flavor of this was good, but I would go with a bit more white wine and an additional note of something tangy--lemon rind or maybe some capers. I think I would have liked it much better if someone else cooked it and served it to me, and I didn't have to actually touch the seitan before it was sauteed to form a nice, crispy crust. However, if you enjoy dancing with the Devil (bad seitan/satan pun there), you will probably like this.

Sauteed Seitan with Mushrooms and Spinach

1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 cups seitan, sliced on the diagonal into bite-size pieces
    1 small onion, sliced into thick half-moons
    2 cups sliced white or cremini mushrooms
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon salt
    Several pinches of freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup white wine
    1/4 cup vegetable broth or water
    6 cups spinach, washed well
    Lemon slices (optional)

Preheat a large, lidded skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the seitan for about 2 minutes.Add the onions and saute for another 5 minutes, until softened, covering the pan but lifting it to stir occasionally, to make the onions and seitan cook faster.

Add the mushrooms, garlic, thyme, basil, salt, and pepper, and saute for another 8 minutes, again, covering but occasionally stirring. Once the mushrooms are cooked and soft, add the wine and broth. Add the spinach in batches and use tongs to incorporate them with everything else. Cook for about 5 more minutes.
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

Since seitan is made of wheat flour or vital wheat gluten I decided not to include it in my diet. I like to eat vegetarians but prefer to use real food instead of 'fake' food.

I know a lot of people that loves seitan and make dishes out of it. Some even make their own. I like your picture.
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

Quote Originally Posted by helene View Post
    ...I like to eat vegetarians...
    I find there's often not much meat on them.
    Atomic Shrimp's video tip: The Easiest Way To Peel A Kiwifruit

What does seitan taste like?

I like tofu if it's done right and I really like tempeh.
    Visit my blog at http://www.theglobalkitchen.blogspot.com/
    "A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch."

James Beard

Seitan tastes like whatever you soak/cook/marinate it in. It's the ingredient that makes a lot of commercial "veats" have that chewy toothy quality. I see that Cookin4Love's seitan is a bit bready; I used to cook my seitan in a slow-cooker tied tightly in cheesecloth, which made it more dense and chewy.

I don't eat it any more because I've been having some issues with wheat, but I like the texture of it. I used to make a lot of Bryanna Clark Grogan's fake meats, and most of those involve a lot of vital wheat gluten. They're really good.

C4L, if you want lemon juice or capers, you should check out the first Millennium Cookbook. There's a recipe there for Seitan Piccata which is time-consuming but quite awesome.
    fresh hot random! mad endeavour on vox
    Ask Palpatine: "Just because I'm the Dark Lord of the Sith doesn't mean you can't get to know me."

I tend to stay away from a lot of fake "meats" too, which is one of the reasons I haven't had seitan before. The other reason is that I actually made my own months ago (from flour, not starting with just gluten) and it just grossed me out. It's been in the freezer ever since. I actually purchased this at Whole Foods. One of the things I don't like is that it has a bit of after taste that is still coming back today. I think making it myself would perhaps control that a bit.

Like some of you already mentioned, I'm a little concerned, too, about the inclusion of too much wheat gluten in the diet. I find myself wondering if a gluten sensitivity could almost be induced with an overload of dietary gluten. I have absolutely no scientific basis for that--just a wondering kind of thing. Mostly, we get our protein from beans and whole grains. I'm working on tofu and tempeh, but we don't love them yet.

I'll have to check out the Millennium Cookbook. That piccata recipe sounds good.
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangetout View Post

What do you mean?
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

I have had nothing but failures with the mooshy types of seitan made by braising it. The texture does creep me out. I do, however, make the baked/steamed type of seitan wrapped in foil and even omni DH likes it. It has a much different texture. Check out the Italian sausage seitan recipe at http://www.everydish.tv. You can get the recipe there or even watch a video of it being made. I agree that seitan isn't the highest quality vegetable protein out there but it does hit the spot on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by helene View Post
    What do you mean?
    I'm sorry, I was making light of what I took to be a typo, but now realise may be a language difference thing. - you said "I like to eat vegetarians" - that reads as if you're saying you like to eat people...
    Atomic Shrimp's video tip: The Easiest Way To Peel A Kiwifruit

Quote Originally Posted by Mangetout View Post

LMAO!!!

and it's meaty enough to need it!