Community Message Boards

Thread: Market Street vs. Whole Foods?

Question Market Street vs. Whole Foods?

Has anyone shopped at both? My searches haven't turned up much. I use WF for bulk grains, flours, & produce; meat on occasion. Opinions on which chain is better, & why? Thanks!
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

While I've shopped at both, I shope at Market Street more often. Market Street does not carry the volume of organic products that Whole Foods does but they do a better job than the traditional grocery store. Market Street has some of the nicest produce around at good prices. I don't usually buy organic produce but they have a better selection than other stores (but not as good as WF). MS has very nice meat, seafood, and cheese counters. I like their deli, too. Their prepared foods, while good, don't do a lot for me. WF does a better job rotating their offerings.

Does this help you any?
    Stacy

Quote Originally Posted by srahndennis View Post
    While I've shopped at both, I shope at Market Street more often. Market Street does not carry the volume of organic products that Whole Foods does but they do a better job than the traditional grocery store. Market Street has some of the nicest produce around at good prices. I don't usually buy organic produce but they have a better selection than other stores (but not as good as WF). MS has very nice meat, seafood, and cheese counters. I like their deli, too. Their prepared foods, while good, don't do a lot for me. WF does a better job rotating their offerings.

Does this help you any?
    Yes, it does. Thanks for responding! I know nothing about Market Street, so I appreciate the good info. It sounds as if MStreet will do a lot better job of getting the "oddball" grains and bulk items that I use, compared to a standard grocer--driving all the way to WF is getting old but I think it's MS, not WF, that's coming out to my neck of the woods.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

I love Market Street. First of all it has a Peet's Coffee in it so how could it be bad. I was shopping there yesterday and I bought a pineapple. The bagger at the checkout ask me if I would like the pineapple cored for free. I said yes so he ran back to produce and had it cored and brought it back to the register. What other grocery store gives you service like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Salt View Post
    The bagger at the checkout ask me if I would like the pineapple cored for free. I said yes so he ran back to produce and had it cored and brought it back to the register. What other grocery store gives you service like that.
    I can name three up here that do it, but most markets also usually offer pineapples both cored and whole anyway.

Bob