Community Message Boards

Thread: McD's with playlands??

McD's with playlands??

In a couple of weeks my husband and I will be traveling from Indianapolis to Boston to attend my brother's wedding with three young kinds (6, 3 and 2 mths old). I am pleading for your help in locating any eateries with play areas so that I can plan our stops around them. HELP!! The bulk of our trip will be on I-271/90E (448 mi) going from Cleveland to NY, but we also have 160 mi on I-70, from Indianapolis to Columbus and 101 mi from Columbus to Cleveland on I-71. We'd prefer not to extend our trip any more than we absolutely have to, so I'm looking for places close to exits on these interstates. I will be so grateful to anyone who can help us.

HI!

I googled your question and came up with a Mcdonalds trip planner...hope this link works!
    http://http://www.mcdonalds.com/usa/rest_locator.html

If the link doesn't work, go to www.mcdonalds.com. Click on The menu at the top of the page that says I'm going to McDonalds. Click on The United States and it will take you to the site where you put in your beginning address and ending address..good luck and have fun!

From another website, talking about this site:

Play Areas Matter Too

Neil MacDonald
    Group V.P. and Director of Research, GartnerG2

I've mentioned before that it's not the technology -- it's what the technology enables you to do that matters. Of course, that assumes that someone has the insight to apply technology in a better way. And technology can be used differently in practically all aspects of business and life, even trying to find a fast-food restaurant.

Speaking from experience, one of the best things you can come across during a 10-hour travel day is a McDonald's or Burger King with a play area for three travel-weary kids under the age of five. During a three-week road trip I took recently, I actively sought locations of fast food restaurants with play areas for the next day's travels. Both McDonald's (supports US and UK searches) and Burger King (supports US searches only) have a locator tool on their web site.

Using each of these, you'll quickly find that for the purposes of trip planning, the McDonald's locator was superior. Why? First, the McDonald's locator is linked into computerized auto-mapping technology and easily shows all restaurants along the planned travel route on a map Secondly, the McDonald's locator indicated which of the locations were equipped with a Playland.

The Burger King locator provides locations out in concentric circles from a location you enter. This simply doesn't work when you are trying to locate all the locations along 500 miles of interstate driving planned for the day. There was also no way to search for play area-equipped locations.

Someone at McDonald's had the insight to put themselves into the shoes of their traveling-and-laden-with-young-children customer and designed that into this functionality. If the same technology is available to both of these fierce competitors and thus provides no competitive differentiation (as Carr would have you believe), then why isn't Burger King's restaurant locator as functional as McDonald's?

Here, McDonald's took the same technology available to all fast food restaurants and applied it for competitive advantage by putting themselves in their customer's shoes and asking "how could IT be used by our customers to easily locate our locations when they are traveling and what information might be important to them?"

I'm not taking sides on the Burger King versus McDonald's taste issue, but I will tell you that this feature alone resulted in most of our stops being at a McDonalds -- equipped with a Playland.

IT mattered to me -- the customer.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

I can help with most of your entire Ohio leg, I think. Thing is, I haven't always noticed which McD's (or BKs) are Playland ones!

On the north side of Columbus, there's one just before you change from 270 to 71 N. You'd get off at the Worthington (US-23 S) exit, and it's on your left. (You'll have to turn onto Schrock to get there, but you can see it from the street.) It's a nice exit - but if it's 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM on a weekday, the traffic will be a nightmare. It's a nice stopping point, since it's about 3 hours from Indianapolis (one very boring drive along I-70) and just before you set off on the second-most boring drive in Ohio, I-71-N.

If you took 23-N, you'd wind up at a BK Playland that's just north of Rt 750 (Powell Rd), that's across the parkinglot from a Wal-Mart, if you need to do any shopping or whatever.

Most of the McD's along 71-N don't have Playlands.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

Thank you, thank you, thank you so much!!! The link and your input, MKSquared, will be a tremendous help in trying to figure out where to stop. If anybody else has personally been to any play place near these interstates, please chime in.

Just checked McDonald's site and it only lists 10 McD's all located b/n Indiana and Columbus with none of the playplaces in OH. Oh dear, I hope there's someone out there who can give me more information... Surely there must be more McD's on this route.

That stretch of 70 is long, boring and flat... and the rest stops aren't all that close. 10 McD's along 70 doesn't surprise me at all. I did notice that there is a playland on the west side of Columbus, if you want to stop earlier ... but I really would continue up to Worthington.

I used to drive that stretch of 70 pretty often. I liked stopping near the border, because it broke up the drive. I also liked the Target that's near Dayton. I also remember a gigantic exit in IN that had restaurants plastered around it - I couldn't really tell you which one it was, but it was outside of 465.

If you want to just stretch your legs, there are two ODOT reststops on 70: ODOT rest stops.

I love Ohio, but I can't stress enough how boring the drive is on 70 and 71. (The radio station choices are better along 70. Mid-Ohio is the pits for anything but country.)
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

Quote Originally Posted by Apricot View Post
    TJust checked McDonald's site and it only lists 10 McD's all located b/n Indiana and Columbus with none of the playplaces in OH. Oh dear, I hope there's someone out there who can give me more information... Surely there must be more McD's on this route.
    Be sure to change the "within" distance. Upping it to 1.5 miles, instead of .5 miles from the highway gives you more locations, and a few with a Playland.
    --Mary Kate--

Apricot, I hear your concern. One thing we would do is look up elementary schools on the way. Zip in to a drive through pick up food, hit the school yard for a picnic and let the kids run around the playground. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by luvItalian View Post
    Apricot, I hear your concern. One thing we would do is look up elementary schools on the way. Zip in to a drive through pick up food, hit the school yard for a picnic and let the kids run around the playground. Good luck.
    Most schools, here at least, have fenced play yards. Many have no trespassing signs.

Stand alone Chick-Fil-As have indoor play areas. I find them cleaner than most of the McDonalds in my area. Healthier menu items, too.

you can look at the mcdonalds website to see where they playlands are.

I just heard a speaker (Fara Warner who wrote "Power of the Purse" about how things are or aren't marketed to women) at a local event. She said a lot of fast food restaurants, BK's and McD's included, are removing their play places because the feedback from moms has been negative - they think these playgrounds are germ factories. Keep the Purell handy!