Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO Chicken & Rice Casserole recipe

ISO Chicken & Rice Casserole recipe

This is going to sound odd....but I'm trying recreate a frozen entree!

Dave and I sampled a frozen entree at Costco on Sunday, and we both loved it. It was a Milton's Creamy Chicken with White and Wild Rice casserole. Totally yummy. Problem is, these things are usually so high in fat and sodium that we normally stay away from frozen entrees. Besides, I like to cook too much, and would rather just make it myself.

It wasn't your basic cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup base. It almost had a white sauce or beschemel sauce taste and mouth feel. Maybe parmesan cheese? I looked at the nutrition label and it was 25 grams of fat per serving and had an unmentionable level of sodium, and I know I can do better than that! The ingredients weren't much help, it just specified chicken, rice, veggies, your basic polysorbate 80's, and the 'white sauce' had the required xanthan gum, but didn't show me much else.

Any Chicken, rice and wild casserole recipes out there that don't start with a condensed soup? I'm thinking a light cream cheese or something...anything? And incidentally, that photo on the box looks really NOTHING like what we had! Photo looks kind of oogy....this was really creamy and tasty but not that 'white'!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

This one might be close (though it looks like the chicken in yours was breaded and fried):

From "The Big Book of Casseroles"
    Chicken Casserole with Cheese Sauce
    This makes a festive luncheon dish when served with a seasonal fruit salad.

2 cups chicken stock
    1 cup long-grain white rice
    2-3 tablespoons butter
    8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
    1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    2 tablespoons chopped yellow onion
    1/4 cup sliced almonds
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
    3-4 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey breast
    Parmesan Cheese Sauce (recipe follows)
    Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

In a medium saucepan, bring stock or water to a boil. Add rice, reduce heat to low, and cook, covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Place in a 4-quart casserole dish lightly coated with cooking spray or oil.

Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, and almonds. Sauté until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and basil. Add to rice in casserole and stir in chicken or turkey and Parmesan Cheese Sauce. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
    Bake, covered, until bubbly, about 45 minutes.

Parmesan Cheese Sauce
    3 Tbsp. butter
    3 Tbsp. flour
    1/4 tsp. salt
    3/4 cup chicken stock
    1 cup milk
    2 Tbsp. dry white wine
    3 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup light sour cream

In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and salt and stir until bubbly. Add stock and stir until slightly thickened. Add milk, wine, and Parmesan cheese, and stir until smooth and flavors are blended, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in sour cream.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Oh my! Canice, that looks like it could work! I'd just add wild rice to it.

And honestly, that chicken wasn't breaded and fried, it was grilled chunks. I think this could do it! And the funniest thing about it is...........I think I have that cookbook!

Thanks!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

My family loves this basic chicken and rice casserole:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 cups boneless skinless chicken breast -- chopped chicken breasts
    1 package uncle Ben's fast-cooking long grain & wild rice -- cooked according to package directions
    1 pound french-style green beans -- thawed and drained
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    3 tablespoons flour
    1 cup chicken stock
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup slivered almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a buttered casserole dish. Combine chicken, cooked rice and green beans. In a saucepan melt butter over medium high heat. Stir in onions and cook for 1 minute. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Whisk in cream or milk and return to a simmer. When sauce has thickened pour over mixture in casserole dish. Sprinkle with parmesan and almonds and bake for 30 minute

I made this for dinner to-nite. It was good, comfy food for the snow we had today, plus being sick.

I used the recipe that Canice posted, to that I added the green beans from emncar's recipe along with a yellow pepper. I added the basil to the parmesan sauce and used lemon juice instead of white wine simply cause I didn't have any white wine. (This sauce was excellent).

I used emcar's suggestion of sprinkling the almonds on top of the casserole.

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    This one might be close (though it looks like the chicken in yours was breaded and fried):

Is this a cookbook I need to have? I love casseroles… (sorry, hijack.)
    Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by ctr264 View Post
    I made this for dinner to-nite. It was good, comfy food for the snow we had today, plus being sick.

I used the recipe that Canice posted, to that I added the green beans from emncar's recipe along with a yellow pepper. I added the basil to the parmesan sauce and used lemon juice instead of white wine simply cause I didn't have any white wine. (This sauce was excellent).

I used emcar's suggestion of sprinkling the almonds on top of the casserole.
    Yay, glad that was helpful to you! I think I might prefer lemon juice to wine in that sauce, and will try it next time
    I made the casserole for friends who had a new baby and they were sooo happy with it! Definitely a good one for when you need to drop off something for a friend in need.

Quote Originally Posted by foodie18 View Post
    Is this a cookbook I need to have? I love casseroles… (sorry, hijack.)
    There are some good recipes in it for sure, but I use it mostly for inspiration. I'm not a big fan of single-subject cookbooks in general, and the casserole ones (I have two, that and America's Test Kitchen) always have large sections that I don't personally consider casseroles per se. That said, it's a good book and got its fans - and is an affordable paperback. You might enjoy it!
    (How's THAT for a mixed review? )

Quote Originally Posted by emncar View Post
    * Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 cups boneless skinless chicken breast -- chopped chicken breasts
    1 package uncle Ben's fast-cooking long grain & wild rice -- cooked according to package directions
    1 pound french-style green beans -- thawed and drained
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    3 tablespoons flour
    1 cup chicken stock
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup slivered almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a buttered casserole dish. Combine chicken, cooked rice and green beans. In a saucepan melt butter over medium high heat. Stir in onions and cook for 1 minute. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Whisk in cream or milk and return to a simmer. When sauce has thickened pour over mixture in casserole dish. Sprinkle with parmesan and almonds and bake for 30 minute
    Glad this thread got bumped. I made this with leftover turkey and it was really good. Don't skimp on th parm or almonds!

I use one from Eating Well magazine that has chicken, mushrooms, wild rice and green beans and then almonds on top. They say to layer it, but I prefer it all mixed together instead (except for the almonds). It freezes really well too.

I have something like this on the menu for next week. I can't imagine I'll like a parm sauce though, so I was thinking of making a boursin cheese sauce for the casserole

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post

This makes a festive luncheon dish when served with a seasonal fruit salad.

2 cups chicken stock
    1 cup long-grain white rice
    2-3 tablespoons butter
    8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
    1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    2 tablespoons chopped yellow onion
    1/4 cup sliced almonds
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
    3-4 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey breast
    Parmesan Cheese Sauce (recipe follows)
    Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

In a medium saucepan, bring stock or water to a boil. Add rice, reduce heat to low, and cook, covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Place in a 4-quart casserole dish lightly coated with cooking spray or oil.

Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, and almonds. Sautďż˝ until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and basil. Add to rice in casserole and stir in chicken or turkey and Parmesan Cheese Sauce. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
    Bake, covered, until bubbly, about 45 minutes.

Parmesan Cheese Sauce
    3 Tbsp. butter
    3 Tbsp. flour
    1/4 tsp. salt
    3/4 cup chicken stock
    1 cup milk
    2 Tbsp. dry white wine
    3 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup light sour cream

In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and salt and stir until bubbly. Add stock and stir until slightly thickened. Add milk, wine, and Parmesan cheese, and stir until smooth and flavors are blended, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in sour cream.
    Canice,
    Thanks for the recipe. Tried it last night with leftover turkey and it was a big hit with both DH and I. A definite repeater.
    Tina

Found this thread in a search for a casserole to use up some wild rice and made the Chicken Casserole with Cheese Sauce posted by Canice ( from the Big Book of Casseroles).

Excellent! DH gave it the green light to be repeated – with the caveat that this not replace his beloved chicken/cream soup/swiss cheese/mushroom/uncle ben’s dinner.

Here are my changes/adaptations:

Used a texami/wild rice mix using just water as I forgot it called for broth.
    Browned cubed BSCB in olive oil/butter and then set that aside while I did the veggies in the same pan.
    Upped the onions, red pepper and shrooms. Next time I think I’ll try chopped roasted red peppers and diced zuchinni along w/ the onions and shrooms.
    For the sauce I replaced the wine w/ fresh lemon juice and used asiago as the cheese and added dried basil and parsley to that rather than to the skillet of veggies.

It makes a ton and I’m going to freeze single servings for future lunches. I loved that it was neither soupy, nor dried out, but just the right consistency.
    "I can read and write if that's what you mean. I'm not thick or anything just don't ask me where the commas go."
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave

I know you gave the sarcastic smilie, but uhm, could you pretty please share THAT recipe? Sometimes I like to indulge, and it does sound good!

I finally got The Big Book of Casseroles and that chicken and rice casserole will be dinner tonight. Thanks for bumping this up.

vbak - it's not a real recipe - just something that's evolved over the decades I've been cooking. I tend to dismiss "cream of soup" recipes unless I know I can sub some other cream sauce - but this is still one that DH insists on every once in a while and I cave. I've tried making this lower fat, lower sodium and even attempted my own rice mix - but it never measures up for DH.

Use a normal size pkg of BSCB & cut each into two or three similar sized pieces (or use tenders) and place in a casserole dish. They can be crammed in. Sprinkle some ground black pepper, dried basil and dried parsley over the chix. Grate or slice swiss cheese and layer over the raw chicken. Take your choice of "cream of" soup and mix w/ 1/4 milk (I now use celery since they don't make the lower fat broccoli anymore). Pour that over the chix & cheese. Slice a package of shrooms over the top along w/ half an onion, thinly sliced and separated. Pop it in a 375 oven for about 45 minutes. Go drink a glass of wine and after about 20 minutes, prepare a package of Uncle Ben’s Original Recipe Wild Rice Mix (not the quick cooking). The rice takes about 25 minutes to simmer which is enough time to throw together a green salad or green veggie such as green beans or broccoli and drink another glass of wine. When the timer dings – remove the bubbling casserole and let it set for a few minutes. It will still be very liquidy when you go to serve it. Have your plate ready w/ the rice and put the chicken to the side and cover both the rice and the chicken w/ the sauce. Some of the exposed shrooms and onions will get lovely crispy edges. Listen to your DH rhapsodize over how this exactly what he needed after a frustrating day. Makes good leftovers all mixed together.
    "I can read and write if that's what you mean. I'm not thick or anything just don't ask me where the commas go."

Thank you! It sounds easy enough, and I like the part of drinking a glass of wine while waiting for the timer to go off!

I assume you meant a 1/4 c of milk?

Correct! I use skim because that's what we drink and that may also be why it's rather liquidy. A milk w/ more fat may help w/ that.

Need to go pour some wine, yak at DH, stroke the kitty and sit around waiting till it's time to heat up the Cheesy casserole from last night. Ahhhh - I adore leftovers!

I'm testing out emcar's version as we speak. I had all the ingredients and was looking for a way to use the rice when I came across this. Sounds like good comfort food. Thanks.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

So, I made the chicken and rice casserole from The Big Book of Casseoles. Deelish! I didn't add the basil because I associate basil with spring and summer, and it;s winter! The DH had two helpings, so I guess he liked it. I sprinkled some very spicy paprika[that I bought at a Turkish store in Germany] over the top of it. I sprinkled the almonds over the top, but I think I would toast the almonds and then sprinkle over the top. Thanks for bringing this up.

Glad that one's such a hit! (Not that I did anything but post someone else's recipe.) Maybe I'll make a half recipe this weekend - I remember that while the pan it's baked in isn't exceptionally big, it's heavy - definitely makes a lot. And I should have noted that I always toast nuts before using them, in pretty much any recipe.

I'm thinking about making a vegetarian version for next month's casserole drop-off: crisp up cubed tofu instead of chicken and use broth. I think it would work out fine!

Ok - I'm getting ready to try the one emcar posted and Valerie 226 said she was fixing.

The recipe just calls for BSCB, chopped - so am I correct in using uncooked, chopped CB? Seems strange to be mixing the raw w/ the rice and all - but will do so if that's the way it's done.

No complaints here in not having to pre-cook the CB!

Quote Originally Posted by rosen View Post
    Ok - I'm getting ready to try the one emcar posted and Valerie 226 said she was fixing.

The recipe just calls for BSCB, chopped - so am I correct in using uncooked, chopped CB? Seems strange to be mixing the raw w/ the rice and all - but will do so if that's the way it's done.

No complaints here in not having to pre-cook the CB!
    I have made this twice, once using leftover turkey and once using a roast chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyshine View Post
    I have made this twice, once using leftover turkey and once using a roast chicken.
    So, you're saying to precook the chicken?

What could I sub for the green beans -- neither of us is a fan. I'm thinking peas or asparagus... or maybe spinach???
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I have some similar chicken casserole recipes, and they all call for cooked chopped chicken.

I think using uncooked chicken could be a problem. I doubt that it would cook completely at the temp and time called for. It also might give off juices that would change the texture of the casserole.

I think you could use green peas in place of the green beans. Or, sauteed mushrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by peachesncream View Post
    I have some similar chicken casserole recipes, and they all call for cooked chopped chicken.

I think using uncooked chicken could be a problem. I doubt that it would cook completely at the temp and time called for. It also might give off juices that would change the texture of the casserole.

I think you could use green peas in place of the green beans. Or, sauteed mushrooms.
    Good suggestions! Thanks.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!