Community Message Boards

Thread: Question about injuries on school grounds

Question about injuries on school grounds

Last week my son broke his arm at recess during school. Since the H is in the military we use a military hospital and don't have to pay anything. But I was wondering if this wasn't the case, does the school's insurance cover this type of thing? If we had a huge co-pay, or even worse, no insurance, does the school end up paying for stuff like this? This is merely a question of curiosity-I am not a litigious person!-but I imagine some people would be inclined to go after the school in a situation like this. I just assumed we were responsible for our kids' injuries.
    (what got me thinking about this is my son's baseball coach made a comment that since they were having a practice on a non-authorized field then Little League insurance wouldn't cover any injuries. It never really occurred to me that they would cover them anywhere)
    Karen

I believe most schools carry insurance on students for this reason. Most private insurance covers most accidents 100% regardless of the co-pay.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Schools carry insurance to cover student injuries incurred due to negligence of the school. If a student is running, trips over his shoelaces, and cuts his chin, we don't pay for that. However, if a student is running, trips over a rake the custodian left on the sidewalk, and cuts his chin--we do pay for that. So basically, it's not medical insurance--it's liability insurance. As long as the school didn't create an unsafe environment, it's unlikely that their insurance would pay.
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

We took my son in for xrays to have his nose checked after he fell and hit it. Our insurance company kept sending us paperwork to ask if the accident occured outside of the home and they wanted to know the place so that another insurance company would cover it.

I think (IMHO, )that it should be your own insurance that covers it unless there was something in the other location that caused the accident - in our case it was just my son being a toddler and not paying attention. But from the paperwork I got from the insurance companies, it seems that the public places might cover these type of accidents. And I certainly wouldn't want to have to deal with the hassels of getting it covered from another insurer.

I would't expect the school to be paying anything unless there was their negligence -- and it might even have to rise to gross negligence in the case of public schools and quasi-goveernmental agencies. That may also vary from state to state.

And I don't know that I've ever seen a medical insurance that paid 100% for an accisdent. A third party liability policy might -- but that's where you would have to have the school causing the injury and/or the negligence issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post

And I don't know that I've ever seen a medical insurance that paid 100% for an accisdent.
    Well, ours does!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Thanks for the replies. I really was just curious but there wasn't any negligence in my son's case since he jumped from the top of the slide (well, maybe his own neglect of common sense!)
    Karen

Not a school answer, but when I broke my hand on a GS skating outing years ago, GS insurance picked up the bill.

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02

My son recently got hit in the face at baseball practice - slight orbital fracture. It wasn't exactly negligence on the school's part, but the ball in question was hit INSIDE the batting cage, went under the netting (that the coach had asked several times to have replaced as it was wearing out), hit the floor and then hit his face. Just a freak accident, but something that should not have happened if the netting was in good shape (which is wasn't). He's fine now, but looked a little like Rocky Balboa for about a week. I didn't know the answer to your question when it happened, but I know now.

We have insurance, and was told that whatever our insurance didn't cover, the school's would. I got paperwork from the school saying to submit bills within 10 days. Well, I got a note from our carrier showing what the charges were and what they were paying (CT Scan at emergency - $1100!), but it's a little confusing. But we haven't received a bill from the hosptial and the incident was over 2 weeks ago. I guess hospital bills don't go out that fast! I would think most school have similar policies for injuries on their property whether it's negilgence or not.

I hope your son is feeling better.
    barbara-cook

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post
    Well, ours does!
    You are lucky! My DS broke his arm in November (his sister was trying to jump over him and missed). We took him to the ER and then they had to put him under to set his arm. Under our policy, the ER visit is subject to our deductible. Our deductible is $1,500 - quite a high price to pay for a broken arm! The policy doesn't differentiate between whether there is an accident or not.
    Sherri

Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.

Most schools here offer an inexpensive insurance to parents. If they have medical insurance already, most opt out. But if you don't have coverage, it's one way to at least be covered. I believe it also covers the child on weekends and after school hours. Schools here do not pay for medical bills, although if there was negligence, they might. I've not had any experience with that part of it.
    Margaret

Talking

I work for an organization that provides insurance coverages to school districts. The laws vary greatly from state to state about whether a school district can or will pay for injuries to students. In most states, governmental entities (cities, counties, school districts, etc.) enjoy some level of governmental immunity. Depending on the laws in each state that means the school district is immune either from liability, or from lawsuit or both. The reasoning for those laws are too complex to go into here, but it goes back to jolly old England, when the "king could do no wrong." These days, the theory is based mostly on the thinking that when you sue a government you are actually suing yourself and all the other taxpayers.

Some districts provide student accident insurance, either or purchase by parents, or the district buys it for their students, especially student athletes. Again, depends on the laws of each state. In some states, that's allowed in others not.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know.....