Community Message Boards

Thread: 1/2 cup of coconut milk - ideas?

1/2 cup of coconut milk - ideas?

Hi,

I have about 1/2 cup of coconut milk leftover from my Indian rice pudding this weekend. My sister mentioned I could freeze it, which I might do. Before I do that, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas to use it up besides rice pudding?

Thanks!

Kate

You could make 1/2 of this recipe. It has quickly become one of my favorites and I make it or some variation about 2-3x/month (I live alone so making it more than that would mean I eat it everyday...which isn't that bad of an idea!). The recipe as listed below includes my modifications. The original recipe can be found at the internet source also listed below.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Roasted Vegetable Curry

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 3/4 Cups sweet potatoes -- original recipe called for 1 large sweet potato
    1 onion
    5 Cups broccoli
    1 Cup red bell pepper -- sliced
    3/4 pound asparagus spears
    1 Tablespoon canola oil -- (30 mL)
    1/2 teaspoon salt -- (2 mL)
    Curry sauce
    2 teaspoons minced ginger -- (10 mL)
    2 tablespoons curry powder -- or garam masala (30 mL)
    1/2 teaspoon salt -- (2 mL)
    1 Cup coconut milk -- (250 mL)
    1 Cup Fire-Roasted Tomatoes -- (250 mL)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 C). Peel sweet potatoes and onion and coarsely chop. Cut cauliflower into bite-size florets. In a bowl, mix vegetables with oil and salt.

Spread vegetables in a single layer on an oiled baking tray (use two if necessary). Roast 20 minutes, turning halfway through.

Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together ginger, curry powder, salt and coconut milk until smooth. Stir in tomatoes.

After the vegetables have roasted 20 minutes, remove from oven, pour curry sauce over them and stir to coat. Return to oven for five more minutes.

Source:
    "Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers"
    S(Internet Address):
    "http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/arts/story.html?id=f73280ca-b02b-4a47-ba68-9a72013ffb93"

NOTES : This recipe is from Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers (Clarkson Potter, 2005). It's delicious, and the curry sauce gives it a rich, intense flavour. Served on rice and topped with raisins and nuts and chopped cilantro, this is a fabulous one-dish meal for fall.

Approximate nutritional content per serving:

Calories..................................270

Protein....................................4 g

Fat........................................20 g

Carbohydrates.......................22 g

Dietary fibre............................5 g

Sodium............................510 mg

March 2008 - Very quick to make and great flavor. I loved the heat from the curry. The vegetables were just perfect too. Maybe next time I can add more vegetables - not because the dish needed it - but just to up the nutritional value.
    ERIKA (a dairy-free, and almost soy-free kind of gal)

"I don't know where she got her cooking skills from. I barely have the patience or skill to cook noodles. I'll tell you one thing, though, all she ever wanted to do as a kid was bang on pots and pans." - my mother

I sometimes freeze my leftover coconut milk with pretty good results. We also make Pina Colada smoothies-- crushed pineapple, banana, coconut milk, ice. It's an easy way to use up a small amount.

I use it to make coconut rice. The simplest recipe is to just substitute it for part of the water when you make rice.
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service

I'm using my leftover frozen coconut milk to make this tonight.

Thai Chicken Saute

1 (3 1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag rice
    1 1/2 pounds chicken breast tenders
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1 tablespoon fish sauce
    4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
    1 cup sliced onion
    2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
    1 teaspoon bottled ground fresh ginger
    1/2 cup light coconut milk
    2 tablespoons Sriracha
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    4 lime wedges

Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Keep warm.

Toss chicken with cornstarch and fish sauce. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Remove chicken from pan. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in pan. Add onion, garlic, and ginger to pan; sauté 1 minute. Return chicken to pan; cook 1 minute or until done. Stir in coconut milk, Sriracha, sugar, and juice; cook 45 seconds or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons cilantro. Serve chicken mixture over rice with lime wedges.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups chicken mixture, 1/2 cup rice, and 1 lime wedge)

NUTRITION PER SERVING: CALORIES 403(24% from fat); FAT 10.8g (sat 3.1g,mono 4.3g,poly 2.4g); PROTEIN 42.6g; CHOLESTEROL 108mg; CALCIUM 32mg; SODIUM 650mg; FIBER 0.5g; IRON 2.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 31.4g

David Bonom
    Cooking Light, MARCH 200707
    "It is no small thing that someone so fresh from God loves us."

Charles Dickens

use it in place of milk or buttermilk in pancakes or muffins!

Thank you for the great ideas! I'm confident it won't go to waste now.

Kate

This has become one of my all time favorites. It's from an older thread about coconut rice...

Originally Posted by Natasha
    I realy like this recipe that RebeccaT created a few years ago.

Coconut Cilantro Rice

1 tsp olive oil
    1 clove garlic, minced
    3/4 cup rice
    1/2 cup light coconut milk
    1 cup water
    1 tsp kosher salt
    juice of half a lime
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Heat oil in med. saucepan over medium. Add garlic, saute for 30 seconds. Add rice, and stir to coat, saute for 1 minute or so. Add coconut milk, water, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is mostly absorbed. Remove from heat, remove cover, add lime juice and cilantro, stir and cover. Let stand for 5 minutes or so.

4 servings, about 1/2 cup each.