Community Message Boards

Thread: Aleppo pepper

Aleppo pepper

I had a lot of fun yesterday at the new Whole Spice shop in Napa, and among my loot was aleppo pepper. Smells wonderful! But now what? I did find this old ingredient challenge , which is helpful. But four years old. Just wondering if anyoe has anything to add? TIA
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

My favorite blog, tigers and strawberries, uses aleppo a lot--you might check her out. She specializes in Asian cuisine but does other stuff as well.

www.tigersandstrawberries.com
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

I sprinkle it on pizza and eggs. I love aleppo!!

My brother bought me a similar pepper called marash which is really good too.
    Visit my blog at http://www.theglobalkitchen.blogspot.com/
    "A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch."

James Beard

I use my aleppo to warm up soups. I especially like it in corn chowder, it really cuts the sweetness and warms it up nicely. I'm interested to hear how others use it too.

I like to add it to hummus. It adds a nice flavor with the heat, where I used to use red pepper flakes and got just heat. Love the aleppo.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Quote Originally Posted by mrswaz View Post
    I like to add it to hummus. It adds a nice flavor with the heat, where I used to use red pepper flakes and got just heat. Love the aleppo.
    Wouldn't you know, I just shut the heat off on a batch of chickpeas with hummus in the plans, and I bought a jar of Aleppo two weekends back. Good idea, Erika!

Canice, thanks for linking Tyra's thread, too. That was such a great, useful series of threads she did, I was sorry to see it run itself out. Thanks to Tyra, too!

Bob

I use aleppo pepper on my CL recipe for Turkish Turkey pizza. It doesn't call for it specifically, but it is more traditional, and probably called for in whatever original recipe they modified their version from. I think they substituted a more pantry-friendly ingredient (regular red pepper) because they figured very few people would know what it is, much less have it. But I make this pizza often, so we get a big bottle of aleppo.

Turkish Turkey Pizza

Total time: 36 minutes. Pomegranate molasses may be sold as concentrated pomegranate juice. Look for it in Middle Eastern markets, gourmet shops, and some large supermarkets. Its unique flavor makes it well worth seeking out, and a bottle lasts indefinitely in the refrigerator. If you can't find it, combine two tablespoons fresh lemon juice and two teaspoons honey, stirring until blended.

1 tablespoon olive oil
    3/4 cup chopped red onion
    1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1/2 pound lean ground turkey
    1 cup diced canned tomatoes, drained
    1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 1/2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
    4 (4-inch) pitas (I substitute one 12 inch parbaked pizza crust - homemade or Boboli)
    1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (this is where I substitute the aleppo, and I likely use more than the 1/2 tsp called for since it's not as hot as cayenne)

Preheat oven to 450.
    Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook 2 minutes or until tender. Add turkey; cook 3 minutes. Add tomato, 2 tablespoons parsley, tomato paste, and next 3 ingredients (through allspice) to pan; reduce heat to medium. Cook 5 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.

Place pitas on a baking sheet. Combine low-fat yogurt, salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a small bowl; spread evenly over pitas. Divide turkey mixture evenly over pitas; sprinkle evenly with remaining 2 tablespoons parsley. Bake at 450 for 5 minutes; serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 pizza)

CALORIES 248 (30% from fat); FAT 8.3g (sat 1.7g,mono 2.8g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 15.7g; CHOLESTEROL 49mg; CALCIUM 109mg; SODIUM 667mg; FIBER 2.5g; IRON 2.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 27.4g

Cooking Light, AUGUST 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I think they substituted a more pantry-friendly ingredient (regular red pepper) because they figured very few people would know what it is, much less have it.
    Actually, they use it, with "or crushed red pepper" following, in a couple recipes, the Moussaka,which I've done and remembered, and Dolmades, which came up in a search.

Bob

Well hooray! I have my hummus in the 'fridge, and the first of the corn is already in market, so this will be put to use quickly! I only bought a small quantity because I didn't know if I'd actually use it, plus the fact that I don't like having loads of old spices around. I have a feeling I'll be buying it again!
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226 View Post
    Wouldn't you know, I just shut the heat off on a batch of chickpeas with hummus in the plans, and I bought a jar of Aleppo two weekends back. Good idea, Erika!
    Yeah, after I typed that out I decided I had a hummus craving so this morning I'm heading out to buy some dried chickpeas.

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    Well hooray! I have my hummus in the 'fridge, and the first of the corn is already in market, so this will be put to use quickly!
    I forgot about corn! I like to combine butter, a pinch of aleppo, some lime zest, sea salt, and a squirt of lime juice and then smear that on a cob of corn. Oh my...
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

I know that Aleppo pepper is used in a lot of middle eastern dishes. I LOVE it in hummus, stuffed tomatoes and I use it when I make kibbe and grape leaves. I love the idea of using it in eggs... sounds yummy... I have also used it in a whipped feta dip that I made up - came out great, it's definitely a unique flavor.
    ~ Alyssa