Community Message Boards

Thread: Self-Pick Blueberries in the Houston area!!!

Self-Pick Blueberries in the Houston area!!!

I just found out about this self-pick blueberry farm near Conroe! I have a friend going this evening and she promises a report. If it's a positive review, the weeone and I will probably go next weekend (she's with her dad this weekend). So....anyone who thinks they might want to go - let me know!

Moorhead's Blueberry Farm
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

Enjoy the blueberries!

We have a great pick-your-own place around here, but we're still in strawberry season yet.

It's been pretty hot for this time of year though, so I wonder if blueberries will come in early?

I have plans to make some sour cream blueberry muffins to help use up last year's blueberries and some leftover sour cream. Yum!

Terri,

As I remember there's also a pick-your-own farm in the same area where you can pick strawberries, peaches and other fruits that are in season. It's been a long time since I've been there. I want to say it's out where the Renaissance Festival is held each year. (Magnolia?)

DH found out - I have no idea how - about a blueberry festival in Nacogdoches next Saturday. He asked what I would do with 10 lb of blueberries for a low price that I can't remember right now ($1.99/lb, maybe?). I can find something, I'm sure. He has to drive over to Center (on the LA border) for a day on business, so he's going to stop and get some berries. There are pick-your-own places there, too, but he doesn't have time, and it isn't close enough to warrant a separate trip for us.

There is a pick your own blueberry place near me. They charge $4.00 a gallon. Is this a good price?

Terri, I wish I could go next weekend, but I can't. I would love to go blueberry picking. Haven't done anything like that since we lived in Chicago. If for some reason your plans change, let me know.

I owe you a phone call!!! Will call this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post

I owe you a phone call!!! Will call this weekend
    Don't feel bad she owes me one too.

I'm not a blueberry kinda gal, ate far too many during my life in Alaska. I don't hate them but don't swoon either. Now, if you told me about a raspberry or blackberry farm, I'd be there in half a second!

Terri, you found a great blueberry farm! We've picked there a few years now - they don't charge you for containers (unlike King's Orchard near the Ren Fest area), and there are so many blueberries to pick! Be forewarned though, it will feel like you are going through the back of nowhere before you arrive. It's all well marked during the picking season though.
    -- Nancy

Terri_A,

I don't know if you already have this information but here is a list of pick your own growers in your area.

Terri, we've been picking at Moorehead for 9 years now, and we were there this morning! We went 2 weeks ago also. They are getting busier every time we go, and I couldn't believe the cars lined up today when we left. If you go, try to get there as close to 7 (when they open) as you can to avoid both heat and crowds. They usually get berries about the last week in May and go towards the end of June or into July, depending on the crop, the crowds, and things like rain and wind knocking down the berries. Pick up a blueberry honey too.

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    Now, if you told me about a raspberry or blackberry farm, I'd be there in half a second!
    This time of year blackberries can be found along almost any roadway, vacant lot, or field in Louisiana. I find them every time I go out to take nature photographs and usually eat a handful or two. Come on down and get ya some! This picture was taken a few hours ago.

Location where blackberry photograph was taken

I'm sorry I missed this, I must have been blackberry picking when you were blueberry picking! Did you pick alot? I picked about 5 lbs of blackberries at Matt's Family Farm in Cypress, just about 20 minutes or so from home.

For the record, I'm always up for adventures involving food and farms.

Just wanted to tell anyone thinking of going to Moorehead that today is the last day of the season. DH was thinking of going for one last picking, but we have a washer and dryer being delivered this morning. Unless the cloud cover holds and we finish with the last 3 batches of peaches early enough to go out there, we won't be making it again until next year. See ya then.

Talking Blueberries in the Houseton Area

Just thought I would mention for those of you who enjoy blueberries, they make great landscaping shrubs. We have three in our backyard and they are supplying us (DH and me) with more than we can use. They are very easy to grow - just remember to buy more than one variety because they need to cross polinate.

And, Gumbeaux, those blackberries look lucious. Would I have to compete with the snakes to get them?

Well, on Thursday I called Moorhead's and they said they were about picked over, so instead of there, we went to King's Orchard in Plantersville on Friday morning. In about 1 hour we ( the weeone, my dad and I ) picked 6 1/2 pounds of blueberries!!!! It was fun and I've been eating blueberry everything every since!

I found out while I was there that they have figs in the fall! I knew they had strawberries in the Spring, but the figs were news to me - and good news at that!
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

We have to pick Holly up at Camp Allen on Saturday so I may try to get by King's Orchard on the way back.
    Dad's fig tree (celeste figs) is loaded with figs now. I have already picked a bunch and fedexed them to my MIL in Boston. They have Brown Turkey figs at King's Orchard - still good, but bigger.

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02