Community Message Boards

Thread: Help! Icing that won't melt in the heat?

Help! Icing that won't melt in the heat?

My son's birthday party is tomorrow and it is outside and it is going to be a bit warm - mid 80's. We're having it at an outdoor concert venue so cakes will be outside for about 3 hours prior to serving. Is there any frosting that will stand up to that? I'm doing an Elmo and a Spongebob cake and I don't want them to be big runny disasters.

Fondant would be your best choice, if you want to go that route. If not, go with buttercream with no butter in it. Use all shortening, and if you can find high-ratio shortening, even better! I would refrigerate the cakes before I left home, keep the AC on full blast in the car, try to set them up in the shade, and hope for the best!

Another thought...if you're filling the cakes, make sure you're using something that will be OK in the heat for that long. No cream cheese!

I was thinking a cooked icing, not a buttercream though. Something like a typical boiled or 7 minute frosting, but that would be good for a coating but maybe not for decorating.

Fondant would hold up -- could you coat the cake with that and then put some simple decorations on it?

I will look for a shortening buttercream. The cake is all decorated in icing...little stars and dots and such so fondant will simply not work.

Wilton has a really good shortening buttercream recipe, but I will say that it does sweat when it sits a while.

Do you have a cooler or little tub that the cake could fit in and you could just stick some ice in the bottom and rest the cake on top of the ice??

For a shortening buttercream I just use 1 1/2 sticks shortening plus 1 bag of powdered sugar plus 2 tablespoons flavorings of your choice ( I use vanilla and butter) and about 1/4- 1/2 cup water depending on the moisture in the air where you are. Make sure to beat it on high (after you get the sugar incorporated) for several minutes. This icing will crust - once it crusts, you shouldn't have any problem with it melting. Good luck!
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!