Community Message Boards

Thread: Riesling Kabinett 1999

Thumbs up Riesling Kabinett 1999

I purchased this wine at Trader Joe's this weekend and have really been enjoying a glass every night with dinner. Tonight it was wonderful with the Lobster Stew. I like this one and will buy it again and again.

Schmitt Sohne
    Riesling Kabinett 1999
    product of Germany

It comes in a cobalt blue bottle, blue label with sun picture on it. The bottle also states that it is imported by H. Schmitt Soehne, Inc., Atlanta GA.

This delicate, moderately light bodied Riesling has a tart, granny smith apple characteristic that is crisp and lively on the palate. Perfect by itselt or to compliment mild cheeses, salads, shellfish and poultry.
    A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat---Old New York Proverb

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him the entire weekend.---Zenna Schaffer

Never eat more than you can lift.---Miss Piggy

mmmmm wine:)

Thanks Sue
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

Thanks, Sue! I love German wines; this sounds excellent. I'll be looking for the Schmitt Sons.
    But you know, you couldn't possibly be drinking enough of it in one sitting if you've had a glass every night.
    "What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"
    By W. C. Fields

I bumped this up because I've been looking for a good Riesling to try and actually found a small bottle of this Schmitt Sohne at World Market. I'm so glad to hear everyone thinks it's good! I haven't had Riesling in years and am looking forward to trying it again.

I was skeptical about Schmitt Sohne because it seems most wines that you can find in the 5-6 ounce bottles are not so great, but World Market sells Schmitt Sohne, Cavit, and Sutter Home in tasting size bottles. I also bought some Cavit to try.

When I used to live in the Atlanta area I used to buy that wine. I didn't remember the name, but knew the description of the bottle. I have never seen it here.

Thanks for the review! I like riesling, but sometimes it is overly sweet!

I'll check it out!

Thumbs up Oooh, craving a glass right now.

Actually, this is one of my favorite reislings. I can usually find it at Sams Club as well. Enjoy!

I hadn't had Riesling in over 2 years, so I wasn't sure if I'd like it anymore seeing as how I've grown to like dryer wines. I tried the Riesling Kabinett and was pleasantly surprised. It was a little sweet, but not cloying and it was definitely enjoyable.

It didn't have that much going on however -- which is about what I'd expect in a $5.00 bottle of wine. I think it's time to branch out and try some more complex German wines. Anymore suggestions?