Community Message Boards

Thread: Rec. Blueberry Crumb Bars

Rec. Blueberry Crumb Bars

I did a search and there are a million recipes in this forum for Blueberry - Crumb - Bars! So many in fact that I didn't bother going through the threads, it's just much easier to post the recipe

A short time ago there was a thread regarding Tastespotting and I located the website and browsed, finding this recipe. I have made it twice and the third one is in the oven as I type I didn't have enough blueberries for the 4C so combined some blackberries w/blueberries and increased the cornstarch to 6t since the berries were so much juicier.

The contributor was Smitten Kitchen and noted the recipe was adapted from AllRecipes.com. The notes to the recipe are from SK as well:

Recipes like this make me wonder why I don’t use AllRecipes.com more. After seeing a blueberry crumb bar on another site, I immediately wanted to make them but the first recipe seemed overly fussy. I knew there was a simpler way to do it, and lo and behold, All Recipes had it. Once I swapped the shortening for butter–of course–and dolled it up with some lemon juice and lemon zest, they were just as heavenly as the 176 commenters promised they’d be.
    I could imagine easily swapping another fruit or berry for the blueberries–I’m especially thinking something tart like sour cherries or cranberries in the fall (I’d use orange instead of lemon with cranberries). But if you have blueberries on hand, do not miss a chance to make these.
    These are easiest to cut once chilled, and store even better in the fridge than they do at room temperature–something unusual for cookies!
    Yield: I cut these into 36 smallish rectangles
    1 cup white sugar
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup cold butter (2 sticks or 8 ounces)
    1 egg
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Zest and juice of one lemon
    4 cups fresh blueberries
    1/2 cup white sugar
    4 teaspoons cornstarch

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
    2. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and lemon zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
    3. In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
    4. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. (This took an extra 10 to 15 minutes in my oven.) Cool completely before cutting into squares.

Linda ~

I saved this recipe when I saw it on Smitten Kitchen's blog a few weeks ago. Just this morning, I was thinking about what dessert to make today and these bars came to mind. Funny coincidence, huh? I will review after the baking is complete, but I am sure they will be wonderful.
    -Amy

Ooooh, this sounds good! "Juice and zest of one lemon" - hmm. I love lemon, and usually use lots of lemon juice and gigundo-sized lemons. My family sometimes comments that I "over lemon" occasionally. OK to use a monster lemon, or did you use a more "normal" sized lemon?

Just cut into the blackberry/blueberry combo now that it has cooled and definitely would make this mix again.

Barbara ~ As to lemon, I have another here similar in size and I cannot get my hand all the way around it, but I'd guesstimate that it's about 9" around and 4-1/2 to 5" long. I did get a lot of juice out of the one I used. Sometimes lemons are so thick skinned and produce little juice.

As an aside, I bake in glass pan, heat at 370 and for 1 hour.

Very easy and very tasty. Linda ~

Blueberry Crumb Bars

These were so good. I brought them to our family gathering and they were a hit with young and not so young! The blueberry filling wasn't super sweet and had a nice lemon zip. Will definitely be added to my dessert file. And I didn't feel quite so quilty eating them. Steph