Community Message Boards

Thread: Brisket and Steak Tips - Why Can't I find These Anywhere?

Smile Brisket and Steak Tips - Why Can't I find These Anywhere?

I live in Columbus, Ohio and can never seem to find either beef brisket of steak tips.

My mom and sister can both buy beef brisket in their grocery stores in Kansas City and Virginia. I can never seem to find it. Is there another name for this cut of beef? I know I can probably special order it from a meat shop but just wondering why it's not sold in regular grocery stores.

Also, my in-laws live in Boston and we had some wonderful marinated steak tips when we were there visiting this summer. I can't find these in Ohio either. Is there another name for this cut of meat as well?

If anyone can help me figure out these questions, I would really appreciate it! I just am not knowledgable about cuts of beef!

Thanks!

Most cuts of meat have regional names. Ask a butcher, he can tell you cut names used in Columbus.

"Also referred to as the Deckel or Deckle, this cut is one of two cuts taken from the beef brisket, a piece of meat located between the fore shank and the plate of the beef carcass. Due to the size of the full brisket, which may weight from 8 to 12 pounds, it is often cut into two halves, one of which is sold as a Point Cut (second cut) and the other sold as the Flat Cut (first cut).
    The Point Cut, a cut also known as the thick cut, contains significantly more internal fat running throughout the meat as pockets of fat. It is not a cut that is commonly found in many meat markets or food stores because it is not as nicely structured and appearing as other cuts of met. However, it is still a very flavorful cut and can be substituted for the Flat Cut. It is the Flat Cut, which is also referred to as the thin cut or brisket-deckel-off, that is the cut sold in food stores as the brisket cut. It is a leaner and thinner piece of meat than the Point Cut of the Brisket. Despite being more lean the Flat Cut does have a full layer of fat that runs across one surface of the cut, which enables the cut to remain moist and juicy when its cooked. The fat in both of these cuts helps to moisten the meat as the cuts are pot roasted, slow cooked or prepared as a London broil. When purchasing either the Point Cut or the Flat Cut, select or request pieces that have a fair amount of fat to keep the meat moist as it cooks, since some butchers often trim the fat prior to selling the cut."
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sirloin Tips; Bottom Sirloin Butt; Flap Meat, and others.
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

I grew up just north of Boston and we always had steak tips. Now I am in the middle of Iowa and can't find them. The names posted above don't seem familiar to me either (Bottom Sirloin Butt; Flap Meat). I've tried just cutting up sirloin when I can find a piece that is thich enough but it isn't the same.
    Last edited by Bawstinn; 09-08-2008 at 08:29 AM.
    Maria

As ADM mentioned, there are lots of names for those tips. I've seen them here as just "tips". Also I've seen them here as "tenderloin tips", "sirloin tips", among others. And usually they are in the meat case but on the top shelf with all of the other sort of prepared meats. Usually in one of those styrofoam containers with the tight plastic covering the top of the container and somebody's brand name on the plastic.

I'm surprised you can't find brisket. That is such a common name for that cut and there aren't a lot of other names for it. Well, a couple that ADM found, but for the most part that's the common term. I wonder if your store only stocks them around St. Patty's Day time?

The butcher for sure is the one to ask for both. I had the hardest time finding turkey thighs once and I finally asked the butcher and I was told they get a minimal shipment on Tuesdays and they go fast. So you can bet I was there first thing the next Tuesday to get some of those thighs. LOL.

You're not alone, baseballmom - I've never seen beef tips here (in any of their guises) or brisket (although we can find corned beef brisket). Flank steak is another cut of beef that's very hard to find here - when I do find it, it's often so deeply scored with crosshatches that it's unusable as steak . And this in the heart of beef country...
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

I can't believe it but I was in a new Walmart supercenter today (with a full grocery section) and they had flat cut beef brisket and sirloin tips! I was shocked. I picked up a 5 pound brisket and some sirloin tips -- they both look like good cuts so hopefully, they will turn out. Now does anyone have a tried and true brisket recipe?

Thanks again!

Walmart is the only place I can consistently find a decent brisket. My usual grocery store is hit or miss and then it seems they are small.

How is the quality of the meat at Walmart? I'm a little concerned about that..

My regular butcher is Bluescreek Farms at the North Market, and they definitely sell brisket; I've purchased it from them a number of times, in fact. And they raise all their meat, so no worries about the quality. I can't answer to the beef tips.

Other butchers/groceries with good meat counters I have had recommended to me include Carfagna's, the Hills Market, Huffman's, and there's another place whose name is escaping me at the moment.

I hope you find this helpful! There is absolutely brisket to be found here in Columbus! Were you looking for a particular type of brisket recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by baseballmom94 View Post
    How is the quality of the meat at Walmart? I'm a little concerned about that..
    Brisket is the only meat I buy there and it's good. I bought a couple of steaks one time and we didn't like the texture. This is only my opinion, but the steaks looked like they had been cut against the grain. I don't know if that makes any difference or not, but I haven't bought any there since.

Both Recipes TNT

* Exported from MasterCook *

Monica's Barbequed Brisket

Serving Size : 25

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    1 5 pound beef brisket
    3 tablespoons Liquid Barbecue Smoke«
    1 lemon -- juiced
    3 cloves garlic -- slivered

2 tablespoons mustard
    1 cup catsup
    1/4 cup boiling water
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    2 onions -- sliced

Insert slivers of garlic into slits made in brisket. Rub with liquid smoke. Let stand 2 hours. Combine remaining ingredients, pour over meat, cover. Bake 325 degrees, about 4 hours, until tender. Skim off fat. Refrigerate. Before serving, slice meat, pour the sauce over the meat and reheat 300degrees, until meat is warm and sauce has been absorbed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    * Exported from MasterCook *

Susan's Party Brisket

Serving Size : 25

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 5 pound beef brisket
    1 package onion soup mix -- or leek soup mix
    1 12-16 oz bottle Pepsi soda -- or as needed

Sprinkle meat with soup, add Pepsi to cover. Simmer 3 hours, or bake 350 degrees, until tender. Slice very thinly on a slant, across grain of the meat.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Quote Originally Posted by baseballmom94 View Post
    Thanks for the tips, everyone.
    Pun intended?