Community Message Boards

Thread: Polenta in a Tube - What to do?

Polenta in a Tube - What to do?

I've bought tubes of pre-cooked polenta from Trader Joe's a few times to make the following recipe from Vegetarian Times, which we think is very tasty and versatile. We love using the polenta. But what else can we do with it? Does anyone have any recipes? Since it's solid, it can't really be used like a traditional polenta...

Here is the recipe we like!

Mexican Polenta
    From Vegetarian Times, 9/07

This recipe is a spin on tacos - but much heartier and easier to serve. You can make your own Mexican seasoning by combining 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, and 1/4 tsp salt. Prepare the mix in larger batches, and keep in an airtight container, ready to go.

1 18-oz tube polenta, cut into 12 1/2-inch slices
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    1 large Vidalia onion, diced (1 1/2 cups)
    1 1/2 Tbsp lime juice
    1 1/2 tsp Mexican or Cajun spice seasoning
    1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp)
    1 tsp grated lime zest
    1 15.5 oz can low-sodium red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes with jalapenos
    1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
    2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
    1/2 cup sour cream, optional

1. Position broiling pan, or rack if using electric oven, 3 inches from heat, and turn broiler to high. Spray polenta slices with cooking spray, and place on broiling pan or baking sheet. Broil 5 minutes per side, or until browned.

2. Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook 4 minutes, or until softened. Stir in lime juice, spice seasoning, garlic, and lime zest. Cook 5 minutes, or until onion is lightly browned. Add kidney beans and tomatoes; simmer 5 minutes, or until heated through.

3. Place 3 polenta slices on each plate; ladle bean mixture over top and sprinkle with queso fresco and cilantro. Serve with sour cream, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, unless one has dined well." - Virginia Woolf
    http://whatsinlaurenstummy.blogspot.com

I've never used it, but I can't tell you how many years I've an old CL recipe in my binder to try: Polenta with red peppers and fontina cheese. Looks tasty! In fact, maybe I'll give it a go this weekend .
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

People used to slice it and fry it. I suggest you might want to slice it, sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan, bake it and serve with your choice of roasted vegetables such as eggplant, squash, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

That reminds me: there's that Barefoot Contessa recipe for chicken with morels, served over triangles of fried polenta - very tasty. Her polenta recipe is incredible, but it IS a B.C. recipe, so you know what that means: loads of butter and cream and cheese. This would be a healthier alternative.

Just look for any recipes that call for making polenta and letting it sit to firm up.

Here's one that we've made and liked - I made polenta, but you could use the "chubs".

Mexican Polenta Scramble (Adapted from Eating Well).

4 poblano peppers
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    16 ounces refrigerated firm polenta, cut into small cubes (you could use the pre-prepared in a tube)
    1/2 cup chopped green onions
    4 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    2 tablespoons pepitas, toasted

Preheat the broiler

Trim and remove the seeds from the poblanos. Cut in quarters and place skin side up on a foil lined baking sheet - flatten with your hand. Place under the broiler and bake until the skin blisters and blackens - 4-8 minutes. Carefully remove and put them in a bowl - cover with saran wrap and let steam 15-20 minutes. Remove the blackened skin and dice.

In a large skillet, heat oil medium-high. Add roasted peppers, tomatoes, cumin and salt. Cook until the tomatoes begin to soften - about 2-4 minutes. Add polenta cubes and continue cooking for about 3-4 minutes. Stir in green onions, cheese, cilantro and lime juice. Remove from heat and scatter with toasted pepitas before serving.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

I love pan-frying or broiling slices of cooked, cooled/firm polenta. Great as a starch side, or under something like slow-cooked mushroom/garlic/onion mixture that's been sauced a little with stock or wine. I've even used it as a base for marinara instead of pasta.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

Is this weird? Could you make some kind of eggplant Parmigiana with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    Is this weird? Could you make some kind of eggplant Parmigiana with it?
    I don't think it is weird - we've used firm polenta to make lasagna before!
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

Thanks, Joe! Care to elaborate? Either on the lasagne or what I might do with eggplant?

A different idea: Cut in slices--dust with flour--pan fry in butter until browned and hot--serve with butter and maple syrup for breakfast. Yum!

If you put it in a sauce pan and stir it up --- mmmm, with a little goat cheese --- it makes a yummy side dish.

I also slice for lasagne.

I have a "chub" in my pantry and was looking for something different to do with it yesterday and found this on Food TV (Robin Miller). I thought it would go well with soup. As said above, I would probably add some Parm or other cheese.

-Kate

Herb-Crusted Polenta Rounds Copyright, 2006, Robin Miller, All rights reserved
    Show: Quick Fix Meals with Robin Miller
    Episode: Ciao Italia

Olive oil cooking spray
    16-ounce tube prepared polenta, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
    Salt and ground black pepper
    1/2 cup minced fresh herbs

Oil grill or saute pan on medium-high heat.
    Season polenta with salt and pepper. Arrange polenta rounds in pan. Cook 7 to 10 minutes, turning once, until polenta rounds are golden brown and heated through.

Sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve.

I'm always wondering what to do with these too, so I'm glad you posted the question!

Here are a couple we liked:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Parmesan-Crusted Polenta with Sausage-Mushroom Ragout

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Easy Dinners Poultry/Sausages

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 pounds precooked polenta (in a tube) -- cut into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) rounds
    1/3 cup grated parmesan
    2 tablespoons olive oil -- divided
    1 pound sweet Italian sausage -- casing removed
    1/2 pound mixed sliced fresh wild mushrooms
    1/2 cup dry red wine
    1 1/2 cups bottled marinara sauce
    Accompaniment: grated parmesan

Preheat broiler.

Broil polenta rounds on a lightly oiled large heavy baking sheet 3 to 4 inches from heat until lightly browned in spots, about 7 minutes. Turn rounds over and sprinkle with cheese, then broil until polenta is golden in spots and cheese is melted, about 7 minutes more.

Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over high heat until it shimmers, then cook sausage, breaking up lumps, until just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.

Heat remaining tablespoon oil in skillet over medium heat until it shimmers, then cook mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add wine and boil, scraping up any brown bits, until reduced by about half, about 2 minutes.

Stir in sausage and tomato sauce and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Season with salt. Serve ragout spooned over polenta

Source:
    "Gourmet, December 2007"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 81 Calories; 7g Fat (96.5% calories from fat); trace Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 19mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : Really quite good! Used turkey sausage and Newman's sockarooni sauce. Next time wouldn't add cheese to the polenta - didn't need it. Actually much better the next day.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Ziti with Savory Sausage Sauce

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Easy Dinners pasta

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1 clove garlic -- finely chopped
    4 sweet italian turkey sausage link -- 1/2 pound total, casings removed
    1 can diced tomatoes -- (14-1/2 ounces)
    1 cup half-and-half, fat free
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    1 pound ziti pasta
    1 teaspoon cornstarch
    1 Tablespoon cold water
    1 cup frozen peas -- thawed

Saute onion and garlic in oil until fragrant, about 1 min. Add sausage, saute until lightly browned, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Stir in tomatoes, half-and-half, s&p. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 15 mins or until slightly thickened.

Meanwhile, cook ziti until al dente. Drain well.

Dissolve cornstarch in water in a small bowl. Gently stir into sausage. Add peas; heat through. Toss with ziti.

Source:
    "CLBB"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 457 Calories; 9g Fat (18.0% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 66g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 60mg Cholesterol; 671mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : Very Good - Made this and served over parmesan polenta rather than the ziti. Made no changes other than than to use significantly more garlic.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

tamale pie-- just top your favorite spicy beans with some chopped tomatoes or salsa, and sliced rounds of the polenta. sprinkle with a little cheese and bake to heat through. CL has a recipe for this somewhere, an old superfast, i think. but it doesn't need exact measures.

I think this is the recipe that Canice is referring to. It's a summer standby for me, when red peppers are at the farmer's market in abundance. I've served this as a vegetarian main to a lot of meat lovers, and always received compliments. Once the peppers are roasted, it's very easy and is also very rich-tasting for the low calories.

Amy

Polenta with Roasted Red Peppers and Fontina Cheese

Yield 6 servings

* 3 large red bell peppers
    * 1 (14.5-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
    * Cooking spray
    * 1 (16-ounce) tube polenta, cut crosswise into 12 slices
    * 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
    * Fresh basil (optional)

Preheat broiler. Cut peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 10 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel; cut into strips. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 350°. Drain tomatoes in sieve over bowl; reserve liquid. Set aside.

Place a large skillet over medium-low heat; add chopped tomatoes. Cook 1 minute. Gradually add tomato liquid; simmer 1 minute. Add pepper strips; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Spread 1/4 cup pepper sauce in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange polenta slices over pepper sauce; spread remaining pepper sauce over polenta. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Garnish with basil, if desired.
    Nutritional Information

Calories: 187 (38% from fat)
    Fat: 7.8g (sat 4.6g,mono 2.1g,poly 0.6g)
    Protein: 9.2g
    Carbohydrate: 20.2g
    Fiber: 3.4g
    Cholesterol: 27mg
    Iron: 2.4mg
    Sodium: 622mg
    Calcium: 151mg

Serve with grilled, instead of roasted, vegetables.

Ironically I just bought a tube of polenta from TJs as well and I am not sure why. Glad to see this thread to give me some good ideas for using it. My DS loves it so I am trying to remember to make it more often. The Mexican Polenta looks especially good!
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

Thanks, Amy, that's the one! Think I'll make a TJ's run today and put that on the menu for this weekend since peppers and basil are still in abundance and I have a couple of cans of San Marzanos in the cupboard.

Quote Originally Posted by zackaboo View Post
    Ironically I just bought a tube of polenta from TJs...
    I just bought one at Fresh Market...this thread will come in handy, as I'm still a "polenta virgin" !

But please don't tell me you now have a TJs in the Lehigh Valley! Bad enough we had to leave our beloved Wegmans ;-{

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Quote Originally Posted by gabbyh View Post
    I just bought one at Fresh Market...this thread will come in handy, as I'm still a "polenta virgin" !

But please don't tell me you now have a TJs in the Lehigh Valley! Bad enough we had to leave our beloved Wegmans ;-{

~Gail
    No...not in the Lehigh Valley...but I don't mind making the hour drive towards Philly once every six weeks or so to stock up.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

I just noticed the recipe that Dmortega posted on the vegetarian thread. It looks really good.

Highly recommend this recipe (VT 9/08) making it again as an appetizer for some friends tonight... And, believe it was reviewed on this board!

Yakima Valley Polenta

Serves 8

"Merv Dykstra, one of our favorite purveyors, inspired this recipe. 'Doran explains. 'Instead of calling it 'Merv's Polenta,' we named it after Yakima Valley, near where Merv is from.' Cafe Flora grills homemade polenta triangles, but we made things easier by calling for prepared polenta."

Cherry Reduction
    1 cup port wine
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    1 tsp light brown sugar
    1/2 tsp herbes de Provence
    1/2 lb fresh or frozen Bing cherries, pitted and halved

Polenta
    2 16-oz tubes prepared polenta, cut into 8 rounds each
    1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for brushing
    3/4 lb green beans, trimmed
    1 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped
    1/2 tsp herbes de Provence
    3 Tbsp lemon juice
    3 oz Cambozola or Gorgonzola cheese, sliced

Cherry Reduction: Bring all ingredients except cherries to a simmer in saucepan over medium heat. Cook 15 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in cherries, and cook 5 minutes more.

Polenta: Preheat oven to broil. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Brush plenta rounds with oil, and place on baking sheet. Broil 3 to 4 minutes, or until browned. Keep warm.

Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add green beans and onion, and saute 5 to 7 minutes, or until green beans are tender. Stir in herbs de Provence, season with salt and pepper, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more, or until fragrant. Stir in lemon juice and cook 2 minutes.

Place 2 cheese slices on each polenta round to melt. Spoon green bean mixture onto plates. Top with polenta, and drizzle with Cherry Reduction.

I love Trader Joes Polenta

I don't typically share this recipe buy you all have been so kind in sharing...this recipe is always requested at parties and Trader Joes makes everything easier...here's my favorite polenta in a tube recipe...

Tamale Pie

Ingredients
    1 pound ground turkey
    1 ½ tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 jar salsa
    1 can refried beans
    1 can chicken broth
    ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
    2 rolls prepared polenta
    3 cup cheddar cheese

Method
    Sauté turkey in heavy pot over medium heat with chili powder and cumin until no longer pink. Add salsa, beans and broth. Simmer until mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. Mix in 1/4 cup cilantro, season with salt and pepper.

Oil baking dish. Crumble 1 pack of polenta on the bottom of dish, top with turkey filling and 1.5 cups cheese, then add remaining polenta (crumbled), cheese and cilantro.

Preheat oven to 350. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes.

I have found that crumbling the polenta makes it feel more homemade. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by patty520 View Post
    I have found that crumbling the polenta makes it feel more homemade. Enjoy!
    Thanks for suggesting that! It hadn't occured to me to crumble the polenta.

I have used this recipe often, using either chicken, shredded pork or ground beef. From Bon Appetit, September, 1999. The recipe is also found on the Epicurious web site, as Tamale Polenta Pie.

Thank you for all the great ideas! I have a lot of new recipes to try now....
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, unless one has dined well." - Virginia Woolf
    http://whatsinlaurenstummy.blogspot.com

There are some great recipes on this thread! Thanks, everyone!

Leslie
    Where am I going, and why am I in this hand basket?

This has been in my files awhile...at the time, I didn't take note of who posted or where I got it, sorry!

Cheesy Polenta Casserole

1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 green pepper, chopped
    ¼ teaspoon minced garlic
    2 green onions, chopped
    1 (14 oz) jar marinara sauce
    ¼ cup shredded Fontina cheese
    ¾ cup shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese
    1 (16 oz) tube polenta, cut into ¼” slices
    ½ cup grated Parmesan

Preheat to 350*. Lightly oil a 8x8 casserole dish.
    Heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir in green pepper, garlic, and green onion; cook until the pepper softens, about 3 minutes. Pour in the marinara and simmer 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Mix together Fontina and provolone. Spread a thin layer of sauce over the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange 1/3 of the polenta slices in the dish, top with 1/3 of the cheese mixture. Spread a thin layer of sauce over the cheese. Repeat layering twice. Top casserole with the Parmesan.
    Bake about 25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and golden.

I'm so glad this was posted! I never would have thought to buy that polenta, but I picked up a couple at TJ's a week or so ago and last night made this simple casserole:

Spread a little marina in the bottom of a baking dish, add slices of polenta and a little more marinara. Lay over sliced of grilled eggplant, zucchini, and portobello mushrooms and roasted red peppers. Add a little more marinara (probably used 2/3 cup total). Topped with shredded fontina cheese and some buttered bread crumbs.

Pretty tasty!
    Thanks for the inspiration.

Turkey and Black Beans With Polenta

2 tsp olive oil plus Pam as needed
    1 med onion chopped
    1 red bell pepper chopped
    2 garlic cloves minced
    1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
    1 tsp salt
    2 tsp chili powder
    1 19 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
    1 14 1/2 oz can tomatoes with jalapenos, drained
    1 8 oz can tomato sauce
    1 cup thawed frozen corn kernels
    1 tube cooked polenta plain or flavored cut crosswise into 1/2 inc thick slices
    1 cup shredded fat free cheddar cheese

Heat oil in pan and cook onion and pepper until soft, then add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add turkey and cook until no longer pink, breaking up into crumbles while cooking. Stir in salt, chili powder, beans, tomatoes with jalapenos, tomato sauce and corn. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer stirring often until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
    Pour turkey mixture into a sprayed 9 x 13 baking dish. Arrange the polenta slices on top, slightly overlapping slices. Sprinkle with cheddar. Spray ff cheddar with Pam to help melting consistency.
    Bake in 350 degree oven until the sauce is bubbling and the cheddar has melted, about 20-25 minutes. Serve hot.

Serves 6

Love fried corn meal mush!

Grew up with the tubes of corn meal mush. Now we make our own and it is very easy. BUT lately, tried Trader Joe's in a tube and it was so good -- better than other brands I've tried.

Whether our own corn meal mush that we've spread in a cake pan and cooled until very firm....or from a tube, we dip pieces (or cut slices) in flour/salt/pepper. Fry them in hot canola oil until crisp. (You don't have to do the flour if you don't want to, btw.) Drain on paper towels. Butter them once they are on your plate. ((No syrup on them out in the West where I grew up - just butter.)) My husband never had them till he met me; now he fights me for his fair share of them, they really are that good that you have to guard yours.

PS: If making my own corn meal mush, we sometimes just eat it in bowls with butter -- not fried. (We put any extra into pan to firm up for frying for another time.)

Think buttered popcorn without all that chewing. DELIGHTFUL!!!!!!