Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I sub evaporated milk for half & half in this soup recipe?

Can I sub evaporated milk for half & half in this soup recipe?

I have some broccoli and cauliflower sitting around and thought I'd use it up in this soup I've been dying to make.

I don't have half and half and I'd rather cut down on fat so would evaporated skim milk or even just skim milk be an ok sub?

Panera Bread Broccoli Cheese Soup

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Soups

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 tablespoon butter -- melted
    1/2 medium onion -- chopped
    1/4 cup melted butter
    1/4 cup flour
    2 cups half-and-half
    2 cups chicken stock or bouillion
    1/2 lb. fresh broccoli
    1 cup carrots -- julienned
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    8 ozs. grated sharp cheddar

Saute onion in butter. Set aside. Cook melted butter and flour
    using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and
    slowly add the half-and-half (this is called making a roux). Add
    the chicken stock whisking all the time. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat until the
    veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper. The soup
    should be thickened by now. Pour in batches into blender and puree.
    Return to pot over low heat and add the grated cheese; stir until
    well blended. Stir in the nutmeg and serve.

Source:
    "worldwiderecipes.com"
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

I don't cook w/evap milk too often, so can't answer that.

But, if you're looking for a sub for H&H in soup, I'd go with either whole milk or 2%. I prefer 2% in soups to cut down on fat, as you mentioned. If it needs thickening, remove 1/2 cup and whisk in 1 Tbp or 2 of flour.

I would think evaporated milk would be OK; I've used it in a couple of recipes and thought it wasn't bad. I don't know how its fat content differs from skim milk, though.
    I'm usually (unfortunately) big on full dairy in soups, but with the cheese and flour, I would think you could still get a rich soup with milk.

The recipe sounds tasty - I'll have to give it a try!
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    I would think evaporated milk would be OK; I've used it in a couple of recipes and thought it wasn't bad. I don't know how its fat content differs from skim milk, though.
    I'm usually (unfortunately) big on full dairy in soups, but with the cheese and flour, I would think you could still get a rich soup with milk.

The recipe sounds tasty - I'll have to give it a try!
    It's FF evaporated milk but I may go with regular milk (gasp! ) since I am going with 75% light Cabot cheddar cheese. Maybe I should use full fat cheddar and skim milk instead because I'm not sure how the 75% will melt.

Besides, Loren, FF evaporated milk comes in 12 oz. cans. If you substituted 2 cups/16 oz, you would then have to do a "what can I do with 8 oz. of evaporated skim milk?" thread.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226 View Post
    Besides, Loren, FF evaporated milk comes in 12 oz. cans. If you substituted 2 cups/16 oz, you would then have to do a "what can I do with 8 oz. of evaporated skim milk?" thread.

Bob
    But, she could just make as much of her own evaporated skim milk that she needed since you could double/triple or whatever you needed to do with this recipe below!

Homemade Evaporated Skim Milk
    From JoAnna Lund

1/3 cup Carnation nonfat dry milk powder
    1/2 cup water

In a small bowl, stir together dry milk powder and water. Makes 1/2 cup.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226 View Post

Bob
    OK, OK I'm going with the milk!

Quote Originally Posted by HealthyinMN View Post
    But, she could just make as much of her own evaporated skim milk that she needed since you could double/triple or whatever you needed to do with this recipe below!

Homemade Evaporated Skim Milk
    From JoAnna Lund

1/3 cup Carnation nonfat dry milk powder
    1/2 cup water

In a small bowl, stir together dry milk powder and water. Makes 1/2 cup.

Joe that is great to have. I hate the way evaporated milk is always beige even when you first buy it and use it right away.

I always have nonfat dry milk powder in the house because so many bread recipes call for it.

Thank you!!

I have found that when I use Evap milk in soups or gravies or breaks down and gets runny with strings of ick. I believe the secret to smooth sauces is do not let it come to a boil. Just simmer slowly. I have one of those miserable smooth top stoves, you know the one that "the stove decides the temperature...not you!"

I've made this recipe before - YUM! So good! It seemed to be pretty forgiving and flexible so I think either would be fine. I would probably use regular milk though. Also, I added some Dijon mustard and a few dashes of hot sauce to mine. I am gonna have to make this again soon, its almost been a year - thanks for the reminder!

I made this last night. I used skim milk and 8 oz of the 75% reduced fat cheddar to start.

It was great - really good soup, no problem with thickness due to the pureed vegetables, and then... I added the 1/4 tsp nutmeg.

Ugh. Somehow that 1/4 tsp nutmeg totally negated all the cheddar taste. I don't know if such a thing is possible but I was taste-testing to be sure I could taste the low fat cheddar and it was wonderful before I noticed the nutmeg in the recipe and put it in.

So then I added 4 oz of full fat cheddar and it helped a little but not much.

I will make this again, as it was pretty light with the skim and reduced fat cheddar (although I did use all the butter) but without the nutmeg.

It is also a pretty unappetizing yellowish green color. Not the usual green for broccoli soup. Must be the carrots' influence.

ETA - I asked DD how she liked it. She hadn't seen the printout so she didn't know the recipe's name. She said it was good but not like Panera's.