Community Message Boards

Thread: What dipping sauce for deep fried zucchini?

What dipping sauce for deep fried zucchini?

My neighbour spent several hours deep frying zucchini from her garden. She wanted to make a dipping sauce to go along with it. She said they serve a red (probably tomato based) dipping sauce in Italian restaurants to go with their zucchini and asked if I had a recipe for it. Any ideas?
    newcook

For red sauce I've always had fried zucchini with marinara.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

I'm guessing it's just a little side of their house marinara, like they serve with mozzerella sticks? You'd want it on the thicker side. Not much help but at least you know someone cares

My first thought was marinara, also.
    Terri

I've also had them with ranch dressing, which was good too

Quote Originally Posted by Alleycat View Post
    I've also had them with ranch dressing, which was good too
    Mmmmm.....Ranch...

If I am splurging enough to have fried zucchini, you know it will be accompanied by some ranch!

-Heather
    Finally blogging again at http://www.heathersblissfuljourney.blogspot.com/ Updated 1/4/12

Marinara sounds good, and I'd also think of a garlic aioli dip. Yum!!

The restaurants around where my dad lived in Illinois serve it with a garlic dressing that is just divine. Not sure if it's aioli or not, but I was just thinking I'm going to have to go look for a recipe and try it out to see if that's it. Now that I've moved him to Michigan I can't see driving 8 hours just for garlic dressing and nobody around here makes anything like it.

There is a restaurant here that serves a horseradish sauce with their deepfrieds that's really yummy too. I almost forgot that as I don't eat there very often. I'm not sure what it is, though. Am I right when I'm thinking that aioli is supposed to be similar to mayo in texture? Cause this isn't mayo like. I know it has sour cream in it, but it's not straight up sour cream either. I'm trying to think if it could have been a mayo/sour cream mix but that doesn't seem quite right either. Hmm, I think I need to return for a taste test
    For those in touch with it, Reality is the leading cause of stress.

That's what I waas going to suggest. Mayo, sour cream, and horseradish.

I'm in the horseradish dip camp - that's what I always have with fried zukes. Yum...now I want some!
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

Maybe I should give her the recipe for Lindrusso's Marinara. I am curious about the aioli though because I don't know what it is. Is it a red dipping sauce?
    newcook

While tossing magazines today, I went through an Every Day with Rachael Ray from last summer. She had fried zucchini cakes with a roasted red pepper dipping sauce, which I thought sounded good too.