Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gall Bladder removal

Gall Bladder removal

I looked through some older threads and saw that lots of you have had your gall bladder taken out, some of which are very recent and soon-to-be removed. I'm scheduled to have mine out next Friday the 3rd, main symptom is nausea and result of hida scan is very low functioning gb (diseased). No gallstones.

I've been looking for recommended post-op foods on the internet so I can get myself prepared before the surgery (I will meet with the surgeon on Tuesday, so I will discuss this with him also), just wanted to get a head start. Anyhow, all I'm finding are post-op horror stories. I have found some reassurance through other people's experiences on this board.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on food that I can stock up on? I read that fresh fruits and veggies are good as well as mild fish. I know it's going to take a little while (maybe up to a year) for my digestive system to adapt to this change, but all the stories that I read really got me scared, like people feeling much worse after they had the surgery.

Cumulus - how is your recovery going?

Leightx - did you have your surgery?

I remember everyone telling me to stay away from ice cream, dairy and other high fat foods. Honestly, the things that hit me the worst were high fiber foods. Good luck with your surgery!
    Go for it!

HI, no horror story here. Had mine out a few years ago. Best thing that ever happened to me. No more pain and no food restrictions. A few little cuts and the recovery was very easy. I am sure yours will be just fine.

I had mine removed last week (on Tuesday), and so far, so good! I was really nervous before the surgery, since the only time I've ever been in a hospital is when I had my 2 kids. But it was really easy - better than going to the dentist. They did have a little trouble getting my IV in - the first nurse poked it all the way through my vein, so the stuff was just going into my tissues - OUCH!!; then the anesthesiologist couldn't find a vein, then super-nurse came and took care of it all in about 10 seconds. After that, they rolled me into the operating room and put on a mask (like the one they use for nitrous oxide), and I was out after 2 breaths.

I woke up in the recovery room - surgery took 45 minutes, and the total time at the outpatient center was about 3.5 hours. There were about 15 gallstones, and the surgeon said she could tell it had been causing me problems. I was kinda loopy so I don't know what that meant, but everything seems to have gone well. The worst problem I've had afterward (sorry if TMI ) was peeing - it just kind of...um...dribbles out, for lack of a better description. That was annoying for a day or two. And then the anesthesia / pain meds tend to make people constipated - so watch out for that.

I quit taking pain meds on Friday - cut back to 2 pills on Thursday. My incisions are covered with steri-strips - they are about 3/4" long or so, if that. They are somewhat tender (I only notice because the kids are constantly running themselves or whatever they're holding into me! ), and I wouldn't want to do situps or anything right now, but I was grocery shopping and cooking dinner the day after surgery with no problem (DH had to chauffeur though - didn't want to take anyone out in the parking lot!).

I haven't eaten anything different since I had the surgery - I didn't have much of an appetite for a couple of days though. I eat a strict vegetarian diet, but I've also had a few fattier meals (salt and pepper tofu, avocado, etc) and haven't noticed too much of a difference, although I still don't quite have my appetite back 100%. I'm not complaining, since I could stand to lose some weight! If I had to describe my pain (this is on no painkillers or Advil) - I'd say it feels like someone hit me in my solar plexus, but very mild. Does that make sense? Kind of painful / nauseating right in the middle of the abdomen... I've also noticed that I've been sleeping more than usual, but I think that's to be expected too.

I'm going to start back with light exercise this week - I had started a couple of weeks before surgery, and I'd like to get back to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessnc View Post
    I looked through some older threads and saw that lots of you have had your gall bladder taken out, some of which are very recent and soon-to-be removed. I'm scheduled to have mine out next Friday the 3rd, main symptom is nausea and result of hida scan is very low functioning gb (diseased). No gallstones.

I've been looking for recommended post-op foods on the internet so I can get myself prepared before the surgery (I will meet with the surgeon on Tuesday, so I will discuss this with him also), just wanted to get a head start. Anyhow, all I'm finding are post-op horror stories. I have found some reassurance through other people's experiences on this board.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on food that I can stock up on? I read that fresh fruits and veggies are good as well as mild fish. I know it's going to take a little while (maybe up to a year) for my digestive system to adapt to this change, but all the stories that I read really got me scared, like people feeling much worse after they had the surgery.

Cumulus - how is your recovery going?

Leightx - did you have your surgery?
    Sorry if this is too personal but did you have any other symptoms besides nausea? I ask b/c I have been going thru GB workup, I have my HIDA on Wed. Was your nausea intermittent or constant? Just curious. Like many other BBers I do not fit the usual "clinical presentation/picture" for whatever that is worth.
    Edited to add: I know 2 people that had GB surgery this summer who had awesome results. No issues post op, little to no pain and no eating issues so please do not worry about that part!! Sometimes just the "bad" stories get online and that can be scary but I think you will do fine w/ few to no post op issues and little GI affects, too.
    Last edited by pharmarepgirl; 09-22-2008 at 08:48 PM.

If I have to stay away from ice cream that will be a real challenge! I love the stuff.

Leightx- Thank you for all the details, never TMI with something like this! I'm sure they'll have trouble with my veins... with the past 2 tests I had done they missed a vein. I'm totally out of shape, but not overweight, so I hope that doesn't hinder my recovery. I'm sure I'll be rereading your account before next Friday! I know I'm going to be super nervous.

pharmarepgirl - Nausea and constipation are my only symptoms. Constipation has been pretty much chronic for a few years, but recently alleviated with regular "doses" of Citrucel. Nausea occurs immediately after some meals, usually lasting an hour or so. I've had all sorts of stomach aches in the past year and a half, but I don't know if they are all related to this problem.

I had a HIDA scan done a couple months ago and it took over 2 hours for my gall bladder to show up and from that they determined it was diseased and that it should be taken out. That wasn't enough to convince me so I got a second opinion from a GI Dr. He ordered an endoscopy first, which came back completely normal and I went for a repeat HIDA scan at a different hospital. My gall bladder showed up at the right time and they were able to complete the entire test, and though I don't yet know the ejection fraction, it must have been a very low percentage.

I usually felt ill after I ate food at work, which is pretty much on the heavy, high-fat side, whereas at home I eat fairly light. Just because I work for a caterer doesn't mean I have to indulge in the free food every day!
    I seem to feel sick after I eat cereal with milk. But to answer your question, I do not have constant nausea.

The HIDA scan is really easy and no big deal. Just boring. Maybe you'll get to see the cool animation of your gall bladder after the test!

I don't have time to post a long reply, but I wanted to chime in to say that I had an unplanned gallbladder removal about 4 years ago--so I didn't get to research or plan ahead or anything like that. And frankly, it was fine. No horror stories, no complications, no digestive troubles afterwards.

Good luck to you. I predict you'll feel much better after it's gone. I sure did.

(Leigh, I'm glad you're doing well. Tell those kids to stop punching you in the gut!)

Robyn
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

If I have to stay away from ice cream that will be a real challenge! I love the stuff.

Leightx- Thank you for all the details, never TMI with something like this! I'm sure they'll have trouble with my veins... with the past 2 tests I had done they missed a vein. I'm totally out of shape, but not overweight, so I hope that doesn't hinder my recovery. I'm sure I'll be rereading your account before next Friday! I know I'm going to be super nervous.

pharmarepgirl - Nausea and constipation are my only symptoms. Constipation has been pretty much chronic for a few years, but recently alleviated with regular "doses" of Citrucel. Nausea occurs immediately after some meals, usually lasting an hour or so. I've had all sorts of stomach aches in the past year and a half, but I don't know if they are all related to this problem.

I had a HIDA scan done a couple months ago and it took over 2 hours for my gall bladder to show up and from that they determined it was diseased and that it should be taken out. That wasn't enough to convince me so I got a second opinion from a GI Dr. He ordered an endoscopy first, which came back completely normal and I went for a repeat HIDA scan at a different hospital. My gall bladder showed up at the right time and they were able to complete the entire test, and though I don't yet know the ejection fraction, it must have been a very low percentage.

I usually felt ill after I ate food at work, which is pretty much on the heavy, high-fat side, whereas at home I eat fairly light. Just because I work for a caterer doesn't mean I have to indulge in the free food every day!
    I seem to feel sick after I eat cereal with milk. But to answer your question, I do not have constant nausea.

The HIDA scan is really easy and no big deal. Just boring. Maybe you'll get to see the cool animation of your gall bladder after the test!
    Thanks for the info. I have been seeing a GI doc for the last month. I have this really bad intermittent nausea. I can't do abs at the gym anymore and had to adjust my weights down too. It really waxes and wanes though. It is driving me nuts! I had a GB US and no stones, also a EGD that was normal and celiac panel that was normal. I kept a food diary for a month and could find no connection to any foods I ate. I eat a low cal/flexatarian style no alcohol, no fried foods, very little fat. I usually find my nausea is worse in the ealy AM (4am) when I have been asleep! It is weird. Anyway, maybe they will find something. I really am so sick of this and I am never sick!! I have a good friend that is an IM doc and he swears it will by my GB but I am not convinced. :mad: Maybe they will let me listen to my Ipod during the procedure. (?) did you have any cramping when they gave you the CCK?

Good luck w/ your surgery. I know you will do great! Try not too stress about it too much! I am sure you will recover in no time.

I had mine out last Friday.

Leading up to the surgery, I was actually much more dilligent with my diet. I had no intention of bringing on another attack. You don't have gall stones, so that's probably not so much of an issue. After, the doctor advised a bland, low-fat diet. Lots of fruit, no-fat dairy products, lots of grains, etc. Because your abs will hurt, they also recommend laying off carbonated beverages and some vegetables because burps/bloating can be a bit painful. Sneezing even kind of hurt!

I think eating pretty plain food the first day or two after, followed by a gradual reintroduction of just about everything but extrememly fatty foods will be fine. But drink LOTS of water! My biggest problem was getting everything, ahem, moving again after the surgery. They dry out your innards to work--and mine took two days to resaturate . Talk about painful!

I've honestly had a pretty easy go of it. My pain hasn't been as bad as some workouts I've done in the past. The incision near my belly button was probably the most painful (and I use that term loosely), and is the only one with internal stiches. I had a little bit of throat pain from being intebated during the procedure for about an hour or so afterwards.

To conclude: I already feel 100% better after the surgery. My bowels are more regular than they have EVER been (minus the first 48 hours of waiting), and am already back to eating my regular diet (which was pretty healthy in the first place).

You should be fine . If you need anything else, drop a PM!
    Life finds a way to amaze and amuse me everyday.

I had my Gall Bladder out a few years ago.

I had generally not been feeling great for a few months and started to have GB attacks (felt like a heart attack) after eating higher fat foods. I was diagnosed pretty quickly. My mom and I see the same Dr (which as been fabulous for me) and I ended up having my GB taken out 2 weeks after she had hers out (the same surgeon too). Our surgeon was excellent and gave us very clear post-surgical instructions - he also keeps his patients in the hospital overnight after surgery. It was clear liquids for the first 24 hours, the gradually introduce soft foods.

I found that foods I couldn't eat before surgery I can now eat with no problem. However, I've also found foods I can't eat anymore. Too much cream cheese will send me straight to the bathroom with "intestinal distress" (there's a funny story about how I found that out on the way to work that involved an emergency stop at a Jack-In-The-Box to use their restroom )

Good luck with your surgery. Everyone I've known who has had their GB removed felt much better after the surgery was glad they did it.
    http://www.pjrc.com

No matter how big or soft your bed is, you still have to get out of it.
    -Grace Slick, raucous rock diva

After reading these responses I'm feeling much better about having the procedure done.

Pharmarepgirl - I did not experience any cramping during the scan. They first inject you with the radioactive juice, scan you for one hour, give you half and half (I went for the chocolate flavor and it was yummy!), and scan you for another hour. Unfortunately, I though I was going to lose the half and half right after I drank it. The nausea subsided after a few minutes. That surprised me. I hope your scan helps pinpoint the cause of your troubles!

Cumulus - Glad to hear you're doing so well after the surgery. I definitely feel more encouraged now.

Jessnc--My situation sounds a bit like yours. My major symptom is pain but I have a bit of nausea also. I've had a lot of the same tests you've had. I've had three ultrasounds and the doctors have not been able to find any gallstones. (Although I could have some very tiny ones that are so small they don't show up on an ultrasound exam.) I've also had the HIDA scan--it showed that my gallbladder isn't squeezing as much as it should. I'm so frustrated because I've been to so many doctors trying to get a diagnosis. My surgeon wants to remove my gallbladder based on the HIDA scan results, but my gastroenterologist doesn't put a lot of faith in the HIDA scan. I'm very reluctant to have surgery to remove an organ if we're not sure that the surgery will relieve the pain.

Will you keep us updated on your surgery? I hope everything goes well for you with surgery and recovery. If it's not too personal to ask, is the constipation you get very painful? One diagnosis my gastroenterologist suggested is that my pain is due to constipation. The thing is, I feel the pain right under my right-side ribcage (where the gallbladder is located).

pharmarepgirl--I had the HIDA scan and it was one of the easiest tests I've undergone to try to figure out what this is. Although I don't know if that's saying much because I've also had a CT scan, an endoscopy and a colonoscopy. The HIDA scan was completely painless for me--even when they injected the CCK.

Beatrix - I certainly will post about how my surgery went. I had a hard time deciding whether or not to have the surgery, which is why I had the second opinion done with the GI doc. I still feel a little bit like nothing is terribly wrong with me, but if it helps with my stomach aches and constipation I will feel much better.

The constipation I get has not caused any sharp pains, but I do believe it has caused me very bad stomach aches, aside from the expected discomfort. I hope you are able to figure out what is causing your problems.

So, i had my HIDA scan this AM. I did have some cramping and nausea when they gave me the CCK but nothing unbearable.

What was weird was the elderly pt next to me that kept yelling out: "I'm hungry; bring me a drink, take me to the store, Lord Jesus!"

and then for 10 mins straight:"Stop suffocating me and get this thing outta my face!"
    They finally had to stop her test b/c she was combative! It made it hard for me to relax!

O well, at least it is over! :rolleye

Just jumping in late here, but my mother had her GB out last summer. Her test showed her gallbladder was only working 30%. One of her complaints (and trust me there are many) was pain in her back. The surgeon said that was also a sign of gallbladder disease. She still has a hard time with tomato sauce, and has thrown up quite a few times during the night.

As for me, I am just starting on this journey. Went to the doctor this morning and had blood work done and I have to schedule an endoscopy. Guess we'll take it from there. My problem right now seems to be acid reflux or GERD.

pharmarepgirl--I'm glad the HIDA scan was bearable for you. That's funny about the patient next to you. It sounds like she was having a hard time! What do you think the next step will be for you?

gigicancook--Good luck with getting a diagnosis. Have you ever had an endoscopy before? I had mine the same time I had a colonoscopy so I was totally out for it. It did leave me with a sore throat for a day afterwards, but nothing awful. I wish you all the best--I know how frustrating it can be to do all the tests!

thanks beatrix, i have not had an endoscopy, but several colonoscopy since my dad died at 58 of colon cancer and my maternal gram got it when she was in her eighties. my mom had one last summer and she did fine with it. doctor recommened no caffeine, no chocolate, not peppermint, NO BOOZE, and not having my biggest meal at dinner....................UGH. Nexium here I come..........................Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrix View Post
    pharmarepgirl--I'm glad the HIDA scan was bearable for you. That's funny about the patient next to you. It sounds like she was having a hard time! What do you think the next step will be for you?

gigicancook--Good luck with getting a diagnosis. Have you ever had an endoscopy before? I had mine the same time I had a colonoscopy so I was totally out for it. It did leave me with a sore throat for a day afterwards, but nothing awful. I wish you all the best--I know how frustrating it can be to do all the tests!
    I have no idea what the docs will want to do next. I am not inclined to have any more tests though! I am kinda sick of it! UGGHHH!

I had an EGD a few wks ago and it was easy peasy. I have NO recollection of the procedure. The RN said I am giving you the Versed and that is the last thing I remember!!! GOOD drugs!!! I have never had any type procedure like that so I was worried but it was so easy. I woke up in recovery and saw DH and was like: "You can't be here, they have to do the procedure!! "I have no idea how I got my clothes on! DH says I put them on but I have no recollection of that! You will do great!

Pharmarepgirl - Sorry you had a bad experience with your HIDA scan. I was fortunate enough to be the only patient around both times I had it done - but the first time I had it done one of the techs was a complete fool and made my 3+ hour experience quite miserable.... she complained to me for 45 min. about how awful the food in the south is (she's from D.C.), she forgot to take my cathader (I have no idea how to spell that) out, she criticized me for still living with my parents... and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I will be writing a letter of complaint to the hospital eventually.

My mother came along with me for my endoscopy. Looking back, the whole experience for me was kinda funny. The Versed (if that's what makes you "fall asleep") works sooooo fast. A couple seconds after the nurse started it I looked at him and said, " Whoa! This stuff works fast!" And he said, "Wait! Don't fall asleep yet, I have to spray your throat. This is gonna taste bad." He sprayed my throat, I scrunched my nose and said, "Yeah, that does taste bad," and I was out. Mom told me that when I woke up I was just gabbing away to the nurse about the Hida scan experience mentioned above. I don't remember any of that.

A friend of mine is in school to become an X-Ray tech and she watched an endoscopy the day after I had mine and she described the procedure to me. I was surprised. She seemed a bit horrified, I guess because it's a little embarrassing, but my experience was fine and I did not get a sore throat.

My boss wants me to postpone my surgery for a week or so because he had knee surgery about a month ago and wants to be out of his brace before I am out. (There is a *chance* he may be out of the brace the week after next) I don't know that that would be in my best interest. I thought it was kind of absurd for him to even ask.
    Last edited by Jessnc; 09-24-2008 at 06:45 PM. Reason: grammar

A friend of mine is in school to become an X-Ray tech and she watched an endoscopy the day after I had mine and she described the procedure to me. I was surprised. She seemed a bit horrified, I guess because it's a little embarrassing, but my experience was fine and I did not get a sore throat.

My boss wants me to postpone my surgery for a week or so because he had knee surgery about a month ago and wants to be out of his brace before I am out. (There is a *chance* he may be out of the brace the week after next) I don't know that that would be in my best interest. I thought it was kind of absurd for him to even ask.
    I would def not delay due to your boss! That is selfish on his part and wrong!

I have observed EGD's as an RD and PA b4 so I knew it was not a big deal but I have only ever had an IV 2 times before so, as pt I was anxious! I really am a bad patient and the fact I am never sick makes me more anxious too!

Good luck w/ your surgery! I know you will bounce back quickly.

Jessnc--Are you still having your gallbladder removed tomorrow? If so, I wish you all the best and hope you have a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

Yes, I had my surgery today. Thanks for the well wishes! I am super tired and going to sleep soon, but I will write more details tomorrow. Just wanted to let everyone know I'm ok even though there were a few bumps in the road during and after the surgery. Time for some well needed sleep!

Yes, I had my surgery today. Thanks for the well wishes! I am super tired and going to sleep soon, but I will write more details tomorrow. Just wanted to let everyone know I'm ok even though there were a few bumps in the road during and after the surgery. Time for some well needed sleep!
    Glad you are OK in spite of the "bumps" I bet you are tired!! Sleep Tight!

I'm glad to hear it all turned out okay! Sweet dreams!

Ok, I'm feeling much better now after getting some sleep last night.

The surgery itself went fine. The Dr. said my bile ducts look beautiful and that my gall bladder had some scar tissue towards the bottom. That actually made me feel good to know that something was visibly wrong with it. I'll know more about the condition of the gb when he hears from the Pathologist.

Unfortunately, at some point during the surgery my catheter dislodged and most, if not all of the fluids, morphine and anti nausea meds went into my arm tissue. No one saw this because I had blankets over my arms. When I came to I said to the nurse," It hurts, it hurts." She replied, "Of course it does honey, you just had your gall bladder taken out." :mad: She told me they couldn't give me any more pain meds because of however much morphine I had. *Then* they took the blanket off and I heard the nurse say, "Oh poo!." My arm was so swollen. Mom and I took measurements last night - at the elbow and bicep my left arm was 1 1/2" bigger than my right!

Once I got back into the day surgery area my nurse there said they could start another iv to deliver pain meds or I could take a pill by mouth. I took a pill because they already stuck me twice for the IV to begin with.

My surgery was over by 9:10 but I did not leave the hospital until after 5. They need you to pee before you go and I just could not. I was so completely dehydrated. In five hours I drank about 8 cups of water which just sat in my stomach. I ended up vomiting most of the water. The nurse performed a bladder scan to see how much liquid I actually had in my bladder, and it turned out not to be much, but the Dr. said it was ok for me to leave. I just wanted to get home so bad.

Needless to say, I was up every hour going to the bathroom last night! My arm swelling has gone down a little bit and I'm slowly getting hydrated again.

I am very sore and am going to take it easy today. I got up too many times without assistance last night (mom stayed over to help me out), and I could tell I should've asked for help.

I'm glad the surgery is over and am looking forward to getting back to my old self, minus the stomach aches.

YIKES!!! !It never fails to amaze me that an IV can infiltrate so easily and no one notice! Sorry that happened to you! Glad you are back at home and resting. I have one more test this coming week, UGHH!

Speedy Recovery!

Jessnc--
    I hope your arm is feeling better. That sounds painful! I hope that as you heal and your body gets used to not having a gallbladder that you will find yourself more healthy and energetic than ever! Will you let us know what the pathologist tells you about your gallbladder? (If you feel comfortable sharing, of course.)
    Good luck!

To Jessnc and everyone else, I had to post this article I read this morning from the Sunday edition of the Parade Magazine... Oh no, something else to ponder!!

Stay Healthy
    Surgery Without Scars
    By Dr. Ranit Mishori
    Publication Date: 10/05/2008
    A revolutionary surgical technique allows doctors to remove an appendix or gallbladder with virtually no cutting or scars, and minimal pain. Instead of an incision, the doctor gets to the site through the body’s natural cavities, such as your mouth. You need only light anesthesia, and the faster recovery lets you go home the day of your operation.

Called NOTES (Natural Orifice Transluminal Endoscopic Surgery), the new approach to surgery is still in the experimental stage. However, NOTES already has been tried successfully in the U.S. In one case, doctors inserted a tube down the esophagus to make a small cut in the stomach that allowed them to extract a gallbladder.

The procedure is being studied around the world as a way to simplify obesity surgery, gynecologic procedures, and diagnostic techniques such as biopsies of the liver and other internal organs. The method is a step beyond endoscopic surgery, which allows special instruments or a camera to be inserted through tiny cuts in the skin to carry out procedures inside the body, thereby minimizing risks and discomfort. In comparison, NOTES will leave no visible scarring and will likely hurt even less.

The technology is still not quite ready, and some questions need to be addressed before NOTES becomes a common procedure. For example, body openings don’t provide sterile environments. So, what is the risk of spreading infection from the bacteria that live in these natural cavities?

Doctors also will require significant training to master a whole new level of surgical adroitness. As for patients, the notion of their upper or lower body openings serving as surgical passageways will take some psychological adjustment. “It’s one thing to push a baby out of there,” quipped a mom I know. “But the thought of ‘birthing’ my appendix is a whole other issue.”
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

SusanL - Wow. I'm glad I had mine done when I did so I wouldn't have to make a decision between techniques, though the NOTES sounds like it won't be common for years to come, if ever.

Beatrix - I'll certainly post the results. I'm so curious myself as to what was wrong. The swelling in my arm is just about gone. It wasn't painful, it just looked really weird. The few friends and family who I saw after the surgery couldn't resist squeezing my arm because it looked so odd(I did not mind at all - who does when they're in lala land from painkillers?).

Overall, I'm feeling better than I did yesterday. I'm still taking it easy, but I'm able to walk a little faster (still at a pretty slow pace) and I was able to finally shower today which really helped me feel good. I'm going to try to cut down on the pain pills tomorrow because I'm tired of the grogginess.

I have to mention that my mom has been the absolute best helper I could ask for. She's made herself completely available to me and I appreciate that so much. I guess it's times like these that help strengthen relationships with people we love.
    Last edited by Jessnc; 10-05-2008 at 04:32 PM. Reason: added a sentence

Well, 2m will be 1 wk post op and I was wondering how you were feeling??