Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grilled Cheese Casserole Recipe?

Grilled Cheese Casserole Recipe?

I've done the searches, gone over 50 threads post by post, and I can't find it. anyone have this recipe, went round the BB a couple of years ago? Lost it from my computer, and would really like to make soon. I would have made it today if i could have found it! Thanks, mari

I couldn't find it either, but I did a search on Google and found this one, I have no idea if it is the one you are looking for.

Grilled Cheese Casserole

2 cups 1/2-inch-cubed fully-cooked ham (about 10 ounces)
    1 cup panko or plain fine-dry bread crumbs
    2 tablespoons melted butter
    Nonstick spray coating
    3 medium russet potatoes, peeled, if desired, and sliced 1/8-inch thick (about 1
    pound)
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 medium Roma tomato, seeded and chopped
    1 1/2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
    1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Toss together bread crumbs and butter in small bowl until combined; set crumb mixture aside.

Lightly coat an 8-inch-square baking dish with nonstick spray. Toss together potato slices and flour in a large bowl until potatoes are evenly coated.

Layer half each of potatoes, ham, tomato and cheese. Repeat layers, ending with cheese. Drizzle cream over top.

Tightly cover baking dish with foil. Bake in heated oven for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with crumb topping mixture. Continue baking, uncovered, about 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
    Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Makes 4 servings.

Nutritional Information per Serving: Calories: 600 Fat: 36g Saturated Fat: 21g Cholesterol: 150mg Sodium: 340mg Carbohydrates: 35g Protein: 35g

From TogetherForMealtime.com

http://www.momsmenu.com/cgi-bin/sefe...6089-12787.txt
    newcook

Not quite grilled cheese but I'll throw these out for an idea...

I'm hoping someone comes up with the recipe you are looking for but here are a couple of recipes that came to mind:

Monte Cristo Strata

1¾ hours | 15 min prep

SERVES 10

* 2 tablespoons butter
    * 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
    * 18-20 slices white bread, crusts trimmed
    * 10 ounces ham, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
    * 10 large eggs
    * 3 cups packed grated gruyere cheese
    * 3 1/2 cups milk (do not use low-fat or non-fat)
    * 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoon dried thyme
    * 2 teaspoons dry mustard
    * 3/4 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon pepper

1. Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat.
    2. Add mushrooms and saute until golden, about 10 minutes.
    3. Season with salt and pepper.
    4. Generously butter a 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
    5. Line bottom with half of bread slices, cutting to fit.
    6. Top with ham, then 2 cups of cheese.
    7. Top with mushrooms.
    8. Add enough remaining bread in single layer to cover.
    9. Whisk eggs, milk, 1 tablespoon thyme, dry mustard, salt and pepper in large bowl to blend.
    10. Pour over bread.
    11. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
    12. Remove from refrigerator and let sit 30 minutes while preheating oven to 350.
    13. Uncover baking dish.
    14. Bake until puffed and golden, about 1 hour.
    15. Mix remaining cup of cheese and 1 tablespoon thyme; sprinkle on top.
    16. Bake until cheese melts, about 3 minutes.
    17. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
    18. Leftovers are equally as good re-warmed the next day in the microwave.

Monte Cristo Casserole

1 pound garlic or herbed loaf, cut into 1-inch cubes (Or French)

1½ cups chopped ham, turkey or combination

1½ cups shredded Swiss cheese

6 large eggs

4 cups milk

1½ tablespoons Dijon mustard

Fresh ground pepper

Arrange rack in center of the oven and heat to 350 degrees. Lightly butter 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish or 14-inch oval gratin dish.

In a large bowl, toss bread cubes with meat and cheese; transfer to prepared pan.

In large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, mustard and pepper; pour over cubes. Press lightly on bread to make sure all bread gets soaked. Bake until puffed and golden brown, 45-50 minutes. Serve warm.

Serves eight to 10.

You ARE Sunshine! Neither of these seems like the one I remember, but both
    look good! Thanks!

Grilled Cheese Casserole

5 eggs
    2 1/2 cups milk
    8 slices sourdough - buttered and diced (these are hefty slices)
    8 oz sharp cheddar - grated
    salt, pepper and dry mustard

Preheat oven to 400/375. Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish. Place half the diced bread in the dish, cover with cheese, sprinkle with mustard, a liberal amount of pepper and a bit of salt. Repeat. Beat the eggs and add the milk to them. Pour evenly over the baking dish. Put in oven and bake 45 minutes (conventional oven will take longer) or until nicely puffed and browned.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer101 View Post
    Grilled Cheese Casserole

5 eggs
    2 1/2 cups milk

Preheat oven to 400/375. Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish. Place half the diced bread in the dish, cover with cheese, sprinkle with mustard, a liberal amount of pepper and a bit of salt. Repeat. Beat the eggs and add the milk to them. Pour evenly over the baking dish. Put in oven and bake 45 minutes (conventional oven will take longer) or until nicely puffed and browned.

i thin that's it! now ihave all these wonderful family-friendly recipes to see me through the cold! Thank you, dreamer, newcook and sunnyshine! I won't lose these!

Grilled Cheese Casserole

5 eggs
    2 1/2 cups milk

Aren't the simplest recipes some of the very best? I'm definitely going to be trying this very soon, thanks for finding it!

Quote Originally Posted by SugarNSpice View Post
    Aren't the simplest recipes some of the very best? I'm definitely going to be trying this very soon, thanks for finding it!
    This would be nice next to a bowl of tomato soup on a cold winter Colorado day.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

How could I not click on this thread with that title. Would love to read a review after you try one.

Grilled Cheese Casserole

5 eggs
    2 1/2 cups milk

Simplu great. Have saved it in vegetarian file for Veggie Boy and Gal

Am I being dense (my guess is yes)!

Does it come out being like an egg type dish or is it truly like having a grilled cheese sandwich?

I am thinking for caloric intake, Egg Beaters could be used, skim milk, light cheese etc.

Jodi

I made this for dinner and I'm having a second helping as I type this...it is that good! Comfort food at its best in my opinion.

My only change was to use 4 ounces sharp cheddar and 4 ounces pepper jack instead of all cheddar.

Oh! My Mom made this all the time when I was growing up (minus the ham) but she called it cheese strata...I remember it as wonderful comfort food!
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

Quote Originally Posted by mom2garret View Post

Does it come out being like an egg type dish or is it truly like having a grilled cheese sandwich?

I am thinking for caloric intake, Egg Beaters could be used, skim milk, light cheese etc.

Jodi
    Jodi, you are not being dense. I have modified several stratas with Eggbeater and skim milk for me and been very happy. I do, however, keep the original cheese jsut because I don't like the lites.
    This is a recipe that I won't do until my Veggie Boy and Gal visit and then I will probably do the rich version and take a little bite. Hey, I'm in Weight Watchers!

I would present this dish to my son and DIL with low and high fat choice only as another easy recipe for two very busy young people who are thiatheletes both in fitness business.

For WW me, I will enjoy reading it and tweak it for me.
    I think what we need are some outstanding tomato soup recipes and those of us needing LITE can take a nibble of the casserole and bigger slurp of the soup

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
    --Barefoot Contessa, Ina Garten

3 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons good olive oil
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
    6 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter (I would eliminate)
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1 (28-ounce) canned plum tomatoes, with their juice
    4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
    1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
    1 quart chicken stock or water

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Toss together the tomatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.

In an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock. Add the oven-roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
    Pass through a food mill fitted with the coarsest blade.

Taste for seasonings. Serve hot or cold.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2garret View Post

Jodi
    I guess I could have answered your question huh?

It turned out just like a strata, soft pillow-like bread with lots of cheese...and my favorite part was the crunchy edges.

I used skim milk and didn't have any problems.

I can envision this with ground sausage mixed in, but is that messing with a good thing?

Thanks for answering my question ladies!!

Jodi

Gee, I was thinking that this would taste good with Tyler's roasted tomato soup.Yummo!
    Next to jazz music, there is nothing that lifts the spirit and strengthens the soul more than a good bowl of chili...Harry James

Grilled Cheese Casserole

5 eggs
    2 1/2 cups milk

We made this tonight with Tomato Alphabet Soup. Can't wait to see how leftovers are tomorrow. But loved it the first time around.
    Ashley

The instant we become an adult is the moment when the instinct to love is greater than the desire to be loved

Somewhere along the line it became Grilled Cheese Casserole but originally it was a Cheese Puff. No matter the name it's still great and easy. I love recipes that can't go wrong even when altering it.

Reeve Lindberg is the daughter of aviator-authors Charles A. and Anne Morrow Lindbergh. She is a novelist and author of children's books. Her work includes Under a Wing and No More Words: A Journal of My Mother, Anne Morrow Lindbergh. She lives in Vermont with her husband and family.

Aunt Ellie's Cheese Puff

4 cups buttered, diced bread
    4 cups cheese (cheddar or other strong cheese)
    2 1/2 cups milk
    3 to 5 eggs
    Dry mustard
    Salt (optional) and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375º.

Place in buttered casserole: one layer bread cubes, one layer cheese. Sprinkle each layer with pepper and dry mustard, salt if desired. (I omit salt, as Vermont cheddar cheese doesn't need it.) Repeat until dish is well filled, finishing with a layer of cheese.

Beat egg-milk mixture lightly, pour over all. Bake uncovered 45 minutes to 1 hour.

This recipe is for a 9-by-13-inch pan, but you can alter it--1/2 cup milk per egg is a good ratio.

I always make this for a monthly writers' group meeting, since it cannot fall like a soufflé.

Reeve Lindbergh
    Last edited by dreamer101; 10-09-2008 at 09:09 AM.

To update; first, i apologize for being a dumbhead and not knowing that i had a recipe for this type of casserole all along in my treasured old hand-me-down Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook.
    But that's not the recipe i had seen and wanted and lost. If you understandably desire to kill me for this, take comfort in knowing my cat bites my head on a regular basis.
    i want to thank all of you great recipe collectors again, and thanks margeslp for the BC soup-- looks great. i never had tomato soup growing up, it's something i've come to only as an adult.
    I will be relying on this casserole all winter here in WNY-- and am planning on trying two of these different recipes side-by-side at a family dinner next month. we'll see which one "wins," but they are all wonderful looking, and i'll be eating one of them every month at least.

Here's the Betty Crocker version:

Arrange in a greased baking dish...
    6 slices bread

Cover with...
    6 (1/8-inch) thick slices sharp cheese

Top with...
    6 more slices bread to make "sandwiches"

Pour over all a mixture of...
    4 egg yolks (or two eggs) beaten
    2 1/2 C milk
    1 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp pepper
    1/4 tsp dry mustard

Chill in refrigerator so milk will soften bread. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 1 hour, until partially dried and golden brown on top. 6 servings. Serve hot, with creamed vegetable.

I'm bumping this because I forgot how good this whole thread was.

Oh, WHY did I open this thread?! I'm trying to get rid of pregnancy pounds -- but these recipes sound soooo good.

DD, who is 3, loves her grilled cheese; I'll make one for HER

This is ridiculously awesome. I have never ever heard of a Grilled Cheese Casserole before and you all have opened a new world to me. It must be good with Gruyere...yummm. Anyone have a good recipe for a nice, homemade tomato soup to share to go with this?

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyshine View Post
    I'm bumping this because I forgot how good this whole thread was.
    ditto. i make this now as a cobbled together version of several recipes: everyone likes all of them! with a green salad or veg, or soup on the side, it just can't be beat for cheap, hot and comforting... at least not in food terms.

I tweaked this and used gruyere, garlic and a dash of white wine. It was tasted like cheese fondue. Delicious.

Bumping this up since I'm on a grill cheese kick!

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyshine View Post
    Bumping this up since I'm on a grill cheese kick!
    Leave it to you to find the goodies.

Thanks, I think I missed it the first time around.

By the way, where is Mari? She hasn't posted since 3/18/11. Hope she is alright.

I missed this the first time around, too! Dang it! I could have been having this all the while, during our cold (for us) Alabama winters! Now, I'm thinking I'll make something like this, and put broccoli in it, maybe without the ham, and have actual vitamins and stuff with the good cheese and bread!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

This does sound good. I'm thinking it might work as one of the chemo-friendly recipes for my brother during his treatment.
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

Quote Originally Posted by haley17 View Post
    I tweaked this and used gruyere, garlic and a dash of white wine. It was tasted like cheese fondue. Delicious.
    Oh yum that sounds good!