Community Message Boards

Thread: Questions Freezing Soups

Questions Freezing Soups

I have been thinking of making some soup and freezing it. The only reason why I will be freezing it is because I am the only one that will be eating it and I don't feel like eating the same soup until its all gone.

Which soups freeze well? I heard cream/milk based soups like potato soup don't freeze well and I have always wanted to try it but if it doesn't freeze well I don't want to make it.

I know its not a good idea to freeze any soups with pastas in it because it will get mushy and over time absorb the liquid but does that include orzo also? Thats a small pasta.
    How well would rice freeze in a soup? I'm thinking of making a chicken and rice or orzo soup. I haven't found recipes or a accurate sub for the rice/orzo in a chicken noodle soup but I am also still looking. I am thinking 1/4 cup rice would work well with about 4 to 5 cups of broth, maybe the same can be used for orzo.
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

I freeze soup all the time, especially pureed vegetable soups and bean soups. Pasta and rice don't freeze well, neither do dairy products. You can always freeze the soup base and add the cream or pasta or whatever after you've thawed and reheated.

I freeze quite a bit of soup. Sometimes I might freeze a soup but leave out an ingredient.... I just froze some chicken soup but just the soup/veggie part. That way I can add some things after the fact, whether noodles or rice.

I typically freeze black bean and tomato soups. I don't recall freezing a soup with pasta or rice so no thoughts on that.

I bet the soup pros will post with more suggestions.

I've frozen soups with pasta and rice before. It does get mushy, but it's still edible. I'd recommend dividing the soup and only adding the pasta to the portion you are not putting in the freezer.

I too freeze soup all the time, I just can't eat all of it without getting burnt out. I find that bean and vegetable based soup reheat the best. I rarely put rice or pasta in soup, but when I use barley it freezes/reheats just fine.

I never thought of a soup with barley, good idea. I guess I was just thinking more along the lines of freezing chicken "noodle" soup or vegetable soup.
    I will just freeze the chicken soup and then add a teaspoon or so of rice or orzo when I cook/reheat it.
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

Potatoes don't freeze well - they get kind of mushy. Not sure if it's just me, but I don't really like the texture of lentils that have been frozen. But I eat it anyway....