Community Message Boards

Thread: Question for the Vets - Leptospirosis vaccination?

Question for the Vets - Leptospirosis vaccination?

Gus is at the point where are current Vet is asking if we want this given to him. She didn't offer a ton of information, opting to give us a pamphlet on it.

Do any of you have opinions on this? Gus is a dachshund just over 4 months now - he spends most of his time in a fenced in backyard, but we do walk him often. We don't live in a rural area, but there are woods behind us.

Should there be anything specific we need to be asking the Vet about this when she brings it up on his next visit?
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

My vet did not recommend that vaccine for his patients until last year. There have been many dogs in Indiana that have gotten Lepto recently, so I had my dog vaccinated for it. My vet tends to be conservative on his vaccination recommendations, so I took it seriously when he recommended it.

I am not a vet, but I have asked lots of question about this vaccine. We do not give our dogs this vaccine because they are pugs and therefore have some breathing problems. Apparently, certain breeds (including pugs) have a high rate of adverse reaction to this vaccine, higher than the infection rate or potential life threatening impact of the virus. I would ask your vet or research your breed to see what the associated risks are. Our vet said she does give the lepto vaccine, but it depends on the breed, the health of the animal, any health problems and how often the dog is in certain areas like forests, etc. Apparently, lepto comes from the urine of infected wild animals-the example our vet gave it raccoons. If your dog is not outside a lot or not exposed to lots of wild animals, then I would seriously any potential adverse reactions before going forward.

I should also add that we give our dogs other vaccines, so my opinion on this does not stem from being "anti-vaccine."

Both my dogs (age 8 and 6 mos) get the Lepto vaccine. Neither one have had a reaction. We live in a wooded area on a lake. So better safe than sorry.
    The younger pup drinks the lake water so with the vaccine he is safe.

Joe, better safe than sorry. Perhaps one of our resident vets will be along to give you some negatives, but I've always done this. When it comes to my pup, even when I've been told that the odds are overwhelmingly against their coming in contact with this or that, I'll still do it.

Question, though: this used to he combined in a single shot, D-H-L...distemper, hepatitis, leprospirosis, now it's not combined, but I'm being told that it's a two parter that needs a second shot. Anyone know anything about this?

Bob

Lepto is a bacteria spread through the urine of mammals (wolves, coyotes, squirrels, fox, cows, etc). There are over 100 serovars. The vaccine vaccinates against the 4 most common in dogs. Lepto can cause acute renal failure (this is very, very, very bad). Lepto is also zoonotic, meaning that people are susceptible to the bacteria/disease. The vaccine does NOT prevent infection, only the disease.

+'s
    dogs don't get ARF and die

-'s
    in theory the dog could get lepto, pee on your hands/mouth/etc. and give you lepto, then you would get ARF and need a kidney transplant
    lepto can cause severe vaccine reactions (any vaccine can, but lepto seems to be worse)

so it really depends on your household (toddlers, chemo, etc), your geographic exposure/risk

in summation chat with your vet in your area

(Joe-was that enough info to help?)
    "I worry that you don't worry enough"--another worrier aka the Yarn Harlot

there are combo vaccines, and seperates

lepto is usually a 1 year, and distemper can be 3 year, so it depends on how your vet gives vaccines

I am curious what mcgeiger and beckms has to say.

Since she is only 4 months, Did she have DHLPP vaccine as one of her first vaccines, which is the distemper, that includes the lepto vaccine. Its not recommended for small dogs, but she still may have had it, I would check.

Here is good info on it

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/cani...ospirosis.html

My dog was diagnosed with Lepto last Sept but it was the strain she got was not covered by the vaccine which is becoming more prevailant.

Laurie

Mcgeiger, dont want to hijack, but a quick question. Can dogs be carriers,? ie have it but not be symptomatic? I ask this because It sound like this is is a rapid onset disease. Wylie had no symptoms whatsoever and it took the test a week to come back before treatment was started. To me she should have been almost dead at that point.

Laurie

Mcgeiger, dont want to hijack, but a quick question. Can dogs be carriers,? ie have it but not be symptomatic? I ask this because It sound like this is is a rapid onset disease. Wylie had no symptoms whatsoever and it took the test a week to come back before treatment was started. To me she should have been almost dead at that point.

Laurie

We opted not to have the vaccine and felt very beset by our vet regarding it. Our dog had a reaction to the lyme vaccine that very nearly killed her. As a result, we are VERY careful about what vaccines we give and we always listen to the vet and then do our own research. Our vet was very insistent about the vaccine because she said that it was extremely dangerous because the infection can be spread to humans and that we were putting our family at risk not getting it. According to the research I did, I found:

1. There are approximately 100-200 human cases a year, most of which are associated with farms or other livestock areas. Also, upwards of 90% of cases are reported in warm climates.

2. The vaccine only covers up to 4 of the most common causes of Lepto, not all of them.

3. The vaccine is considered one of the highest risk in terms of reaction.

4. My dog does not typically go in wildlife areas and for the most part, is not a puddle drinker.

I feel like it's important to know about the disease, and if my dog suddenly spiked a fever, I'd be off to the vet in a flash--but I am not willing to give my dog a vaccine that may end up being a problem for her.

The cynic in me also believes that the sudden rash of "necessary" vaccines is simply the canine drug companies pushing their products and the vets either buying into it or in some cases, helping to pay for their big, beautiful clinics by guilting their clients into paying for more and more things for their pets. Otherwise, why the big guilt trip? We've switched vets twice now because the vets have given me a VERY hard time about not getting the Lepto and Lyme vaccines. Otherwise, we opt for any other vaccine recommended by our vet. Why is this informed choice so hard to accept?

Kristi
    co-founder
    Planet Marshmallow
    www.planetmarshmallow.com

Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226 View Post
    Joe, better safe than sorry. Perhaps one of our resident vets will be along to give you some negatives, but I've always done this. When it comes to my pup, even when I've been told that the odds are overwhelmingly against their coming in contact with this or that, I'll still do it.
    Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by mcgeiger View Post
    (Joe-was that enough info to help?)
    Yes, it was!

Thanks everyone for the comments - it is interesting reading other opinions on this, along with the pros and cons. Our vet doesn't do the big combination of shots for a variety of reasons, so we know he didn't already get it.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

My vet recommended against it because of Flanelle's small size (4 pounds). But she does recommended it for larger dogs especially if they go into wooded areas or if they are puddle drinkers. She warned me to prevent her from drinking in puddles.
    newcook

To play devil's advocate I've seen a doxie and a westie die from lepto...neither big wood dogs or puddle drinkers....(not trying to convince anyone either way, but just info)

We have a mini schanuzer, and our breeder was adament that we not get that vaccine. She said that small breed dogs can have fatal reactions, and the risk outweighed the benefit. I thought she was just being overly cautious, but then my vet totally agreed.

Then again, we don't live in a rural area, so that may have something to do with it.