Community Message Boards

Thread: Where's that cheese thread??

Talking Where's that cheese thread??

DS has been living with us for the last few months. He buys his own lunch fixin's and today he came home with some Finlandia Chipotle Cheddar sliced cheese. Pretty darn tasty. The bit of heat and smoke from the chipotle really goes well with the cheddar, which is probably a medium cheddar.
    I like it better than pepper jack.

I just bought some locally made quark at the farmers' market Saturday. OH. MY. GOODNESS. Soooo yummy!! I had it tonight on toasted French bread with some kalamata olives. mmm.
    - Josie

Wow - how timely! I just had a great cheese this weekend. It was Ski Queen Gjetost cheese - a sweet goat milk cheese. Its a light brown color so that was new to me! It is verrrry creamy, absolutely delicious! We had it at a friend's home in New Hampshire...does anyone know where I might be able to purchase this in MA??

Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gjetost_cheese

I had Gjetost for the first time around 4 years ago: had never seen or heard of it in my life. But sure enough, once I'd had it I started noticing it in (for lack of a better word) "upscale" supermarkets. I know that's not super helpful, but you might be pleasantly surprised if you just keep your eye out for it.

About two months ago I had a Spanish blue that I declared my new favorite blue cheese. Had never seen or heard of it before, and now I can't even get anyone to know what I'm talking about. Similar to Valdeon (also wrapped in maple leaves) but cow's instead of mixed-milk. I was so happy with my discovery, and then neglected to write in my, yes - cheese journal .
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Hey, as long as we're talking cheese, I have a recommendation if anyone's looking for something new and interesting, yet accessible. Beehive Cheese Co in Utah has created this nice cheese called Barely Buzzed. I'm generally skeptical of cheeses that seem too clever or over-thought, but this one is surprisingly appealing, and brought home a First from the American Cheese Society in Chicago this summer. From their website:

This is a full bodied cheese with a nutty flavor and smooth texture. The cheese is hand rubbed with a Turkish grind of Colorado Legacy Coffee Company's (The Cheesemakers brother) "Beehive Blend". The blend consists of a mix of South American, Central American, and Indonesian beans roasted to different styles. French Superior Lavendar buds are ground with the coffee and the mixture is diluted with oil to suspend the dry ingredients in the rub. The rub imparts notes of butterscotch and caramel which are prevalent near the rind, but find their way to the center of the cheese. The cheese is aged on Utah Blue Spruce aging racks in our humidity controlled caves, and moved to different temperature during the aging process to develop texture and flavor. The name "Barely Buzzed" comes from Andrea at Deluxe Foods in California. She was the winner of the name this cheese contest.

Avariell

In my German conversation class when I lived in Germany, we had a "tasting night" and our instructor brought a dip she had made with quark and a can of
    cherry pie filling........excellent and it doesn't get any easier. Am patiently waiting for quark to make it to here in Texas.

Canice- that company was featured on Road Tested with the Neeley's (or whatever the name of that show is...). Their Cajun rubbed cheese looked so yummy.

tutalady- our local maker offers it in some flavored varieties like Lemon and Pumpkin, which are very good for a sweet and tangy spread.
    - Josie

Canice, if you remember...

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    About two months ago I had a Spanish blue that I declared my new favorite blue cheese. Had never seen or heard of it before, and now I can't even get anyone to know what I'm talking about. Similar to Valdeon (also wrapped in maple leaves) but cow's instead of mixed-milk. I was so happy with my discovery, and then neglected to write in my, yes - cheese journal .
    I love Valdeon (although had forgotten the name until you mentioned it!) and would really like to try the one who's name has escaped you (for now!). If you think of it, please do tell.

Thanks,

Wendi

Tutaladay: I don't know where in Texas you are, but you might give a call to Mozzarella Cheese Company in Dallas -- Paula is amazing and I'm sure you could get good info from them on resources.

Josie, Barely Buzzed is a really nice, quirky cheese - I'd try anything Beehive made .

Wendi, I popped by Cowgirl Creamery today, hoping to find that blue again. I swear I saw it only the two times I bought it in as many weeks. And I'm there regularly. I LOVE a good cheese monger! Who are these people who work exhausting, stressful, low-paying retail jobs and are such encyclopedias of cheese wisdom? And can I learn to be one??
    Anyhow, all I said to the guy was, "I bought an amazing Spanish blue here, maybe two months ago. It was wrapped in maple leaves, like a Valdeon, but was cow, not mixed-milk."
    "Oh, Pena Azul" he said, "We don't have any now, but if you'd like to leave your phone number, we'll call you when it comes in again."
    "Do you have it often?" I asked.
    "Not regularly, but we get it from time to time."

How cool is that? They had a list of about 20 names with various cheese types referenced on their call list!

Last year when I was in Madison WI I bought some "Billy Blue" by Carr Valley Cheese (yum, the Concourse was serving this in their lounge), Comte, Sarvecchio parmesan (swoon) and one called Ibores (rind is slathered in paprika and olive oil).

I'm going back next weekend and I plan on buying MORE! At least more of the Billy Blue and Sarvecchio parmesan. I'll try some different ones this time. I'm taking a backpack to bring the cheese home in!
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Canice...thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    Wendi, I popped by Cowgirl Creamery today, hoping to find that blue again. I swear I saw it only the two times I bought it in as many weeks. And I'm there regularly. I LOVE a good cheese monger! Who are these people who work exhausting, stressful, low-paying retail jobs and are such encyclopedias of cheese wisdom? And can I learn to be one??
    Anyhow, all I said to the guy was, "I bought an amazing Spanish blue here, maybe two months ago. It was wrapped in maple leaves, like a Valdeon, but was cow, not mixed-milk."
    "Oh, Pena Azul" he said, "We don't have any now, but if you'd like to leave your phone number, we'll call you when it comes in again."
    "Do you have it often?" I asked.
    "Not regularly, but we get it from time to time."

How cool is that? They had a list of about 20 names with various cheese types referenced on their call list!
    OK...I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for that. We have an amazing Spanish store down here (that's where I discovered Valdeon) so I'll check there first.

And yes, a good cheese monger is the best. I felt like I got that kind of service when I lived in Rockridge (Oakland) and shopped at the cheese store in Market Hall.

FYI..I've never commented on the cheese threads...I try to pretend like it doesn't exist...because you see I have a serious cheese problem (that's the first step right, admit you have a problem). I never thanked you for the Goia (sp?) burrata recommendation...I simply went straight to my little produce/cheese/meat/wine boutique (3 minutes away and too close for comfort)...bought some and went directly to cheese heaven. Now I find that my local big market (Bristol Farms) not only sells it, but has open sampling every weekend...big vats of it...for sampling. If I didn't think I'd look suspicious, I'd bring a bottle of wine and just stand there and sample myself silly. So a belated, thanks friend.

Thanks again,

Wendi

I love Carr Valley cheeses, Susan! I also recommend their Benedictine: mixed milk (cow, goat, and sheep). It's got a wonderful flavor/texture but not terribly assertive, so accessible.

You're welcome, Wendi, glad that worked out for you! Your neighborhood market sounds like a real gem; I love those places. And how's this for convergence: I'm going to meet Susan for lunch next week...about two blocks from Bristol Farms! I'll have to pop in. I never shop there because of its weird location (in the old Emporium building on Market Street) but I should visit the cheeses. And yes, I agree about the cheese shop at Market Hall - they can be great. I was at The Cheese Board a few weeks ago for the first time in years and was pretty annoyed: most of the cheeses weren't labeled and the guy working there was totally not terribly knowledgeable. Annoying.

Canice- Good luck at BF (that is an odd location)...must be a huge store. My BF (store not boyfriend!) has a pretty great cheese selection, tons of samples...but lasking in the great help/advice dept.

Wendi