Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with pre-cooked frozen shrimp?

What to do with pre-cooked frozen shrimp?

I mistakenly bought a bag of pre-cooked frozen shrimp. It's not that good, but I'm not one to throw away food. Is there anything I can do to "save" it?

You could dice it up, combine it with some cream cheese and garlic salt and use it as a filling for wontons. We made some the other day that way and they turned out nicely. We had them with CL's Baked Sesame Chicken noodles.

-Heather

Baked Sesame Chicken Noodles

8 ounces uncooked spaghetti or linguine, broken in half
    1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
    1 cup red bell pepper strips
    8 ounces shiitake mushroom caps, sliced
    2 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    2 tablespoons cream sherry
    1 tablespoon rice vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    2 cups thinly sliced bok choy
    3/4 cup sliced green onions
    1 tablespoon sesame seeds, divided
    Cooking spray
    1 cup panko (coarse, dry) breadcrumbs
    2 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 400°.

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well.

Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add red bell pepper strips and mushrooms; sauté 2 minutes. Add chicken, ginger, and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in soy sauce; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.

Combine broth and cornstarch, stirring well with a whisk. Add broth mixture to pan, and cook 2 minutes or until mixture is slightly thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in sherry, vinegar, and crushed red pepper. Add pasta, bok choy, green onions, and 2 teaspoons sesame seeds to pan, tossing well to combine. Spoon pasta mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray.

Combine breadcrumbs, butter, and remaining sesame seeds; sprinkle evenly over pasta mixture. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until breadcrumbs begin to brown.
    Yield: 4 servings
    CALORIES 505(23% from fat); FAT 12.7g (sat 4.5g,mono 3.4g,poly 2.6g); PROTEIN 32.6g; CHOLESTEROL 65mg; CALCIUM 92mg; SODIUM 936mg; FIBER 4g; IRON 8.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 60.5g
    Cooking Light, MARCH 2004
    Canice's notes: Whole wheat rotini are a good substitute for spaghetti, and I up the vegetables considerably, leaving bok choy more in chunks than slices.
    Finally blogging again at http://www.heathersblissfuljourney.blogspot.com/ Updated 1/4/12

how about

Red Beans and Rice Soup w/ Shrimp
    CL Jan/Feb 1993

1 TB Oil
    1 C chopped onion
    1/2 C coarsely chopped celery
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 TB flour
    1 1/2 C water
    1/2 C rice (uncooked)
    1 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 14oz can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
    1 10oz can low sodium chicken broth
    3/4 lb peeled and deveined shrimp
    1 15oz can read beans, drained and rinsed
    1 TB lime juice

Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, celery and galice, saute 5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour, stir well, and cook an additional minute. Add 1 1/2 cups water and next 6 ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.

Add shrimp and beans to rice mixture, stir well. Cook uncovered, 5 minutes or until shrimp and beans heated through.

Smile Risotto

I add the shrimp, along with frozen green peas, during the last 3 minutes of my risotto. It looks lovely and is delicious!

Dip in "seafood sauce" and enjoy as an old-fashioned shrimp cocktail?

I've made this a couple of times and loved it. I didn't notice your location, but if you can't find grits try polenta. This is fairly rich, so it's a bit of a splurge in the calorie and fat area. Also, it makes A LOT and would be good for a crowd.

Cheesy Shrimp-and-Grits Casserole

4 cups chicken broth
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup regular grits
    1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
    1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with peppers
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine
    6 green onions, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 pound small fresh shrimp, peeled and cooked
    1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained (i.e., Rotel)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

Bring 4 cups chicken broth and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a large saucepan; stir in grits. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.

Stir together grits, 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese, and Monterey Jack cheese.

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add green onions, bell pepper, and garlic, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender.

Stir together green onion mixture, grits mixture, shrimp, and next 3 ingredients. Pour into a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese.

Bake at 350° for 30 to 45 minutes.

Yield: Makes 10 to 12 servings

ETA: Although it calls for fresh shrimp, I've always used frozen since fresh shrimp is not available in my area.
    "Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you."
    ~Tommy Smothers

This is one of our favorites - so quick and easy if you have leftover rice:

Shrimp Cilantro Fried Rice

Put leftover cooked white rice to good use in this fragrant, colorful dish.

Yield
    4 servings (serving size: About 1 cup)

Ingredients
    2 teaspoons peanut oil
    1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
    1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
    1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    4 cups cooked long-grain rice
    1 cup chopped cooked shrimp
    2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    Preparation

Heat oils in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrot, ginger, red pepper, and garlic; sauté for 1 minute. Add rice; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in shrimp and soy sauce; sauté 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:276.0 (14.0% from fat)
    Fat:4.4g (sat 0.5g,mono 2.1g,poly 1.4g)
    Protein:11.1g
    Carbohydrate:47.1g
    Fiber:1.2g
    Cholesterol:56.0mg
    Iron:3.1mg
    Sodium:341.0mg
    Calcium:35.0mg

Katie and Leeann Chin, Cooking Light, APRIL 2006

This is great!!

Shrimp Enchiladas Verde

From EatingWell.com

Yield: 8 servings
    Active Time: 20 minutes
    Total Time: 45 minutes
    Ease of preparation: Easy
    Shrimp with spicy tomatillo-and-cilantro sauce, a common combination in coastal Mexican cuisine, make bright-tasting enchiladas. Precooked shrimp help get them on your table in a hurry.

1 pound peeled cooked shrimp (21-25 per pound; thawed if frozen), tails removed, diced
    1 cup frozen corn, thawed
    2 4-ounce cans chopped green chiles (not drained)
    2 cups canned green enchilada sauce or green salsa, divided
    12 corn tortillas
    1 15-ounce can nonfat refried beans
    1 cup reduced-fat shredded cheese, such as Mexican-style, Monterey Jack or Cheddar
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 lime, cut into wedges

1. Preheat oven to 425�F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.

2. Combine shrimp, corn, chiles and 1/2 cup enchilada sauce (or salsa) in a microwave-safe medium bowl. Cover and microwave on High until heated through, 2 1/2 minutes.

3. Spread 1/4 cup enchilada sauce (or salsa) in the prepared baking dish. Top with an overlapping layer of 6 tortillas. Spread refried beans evenly over the tortillas. Top the beans with the shrimp mixture, followed by the remaining 6 tortillas. Pour the remaining sauce (or salsa) over the tortillas. Cover with foil.

4. Bake the enchiladas until they begin to bubble on the sides, about 20 minutes. Remove the foil; sprinkle cheese on top. Continue baking until heated through and the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes more. Top with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 320 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 136 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrate; 26 g protein; 7 g fiber; 538 mg sodium. Nutrition bonus: Fiber (28% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (20% dv).

MAKE AHEAD TIP: To make ahead: Prepare through Step 3, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Allow the cold baking dish to warm slightly before placing in a hot oven.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Thanks for the ideas. I like the idea of using a strongly flavored dish because the shrimp are saltly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodone View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. I like the idea of using a strongly flavored dish because the shrimp are saltly.
    As posted above, the idea of cooked shrimp in fried rice works beautifully. Works great because fried rice uses leftover rice. Easy to control the salt (in the cooking of the rice if planning ahead) or/and if you watch the soy sauce (or use lower sodium).

I'm brining shrimp for dinner now (shells on). I also mistakenly noticed a bag of shrimp this morning that I purchased prepeeled and deveined. Did NOT want that either.

Dolores
    "we can't go 'round measuring our goodness by what we don't do, by what we deny ourselves, what we resist and who we exclude...
    we've got to measure goodness by what we embrace, what we create, and who we include."
    Pierre Henri in Chocolat
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.photographybydolores.com