Community Message Boards

Thread: Pot roast--pressure cooker vs. crockpot?

Pot roast--pressure cooker vs. crockpot?

Well, the pot roast I extracted from the freezer over the weekend in an effort to make room for holiday goodies is finally thawed and ready to be cooked today. I was planning to use the Pioneer Woman's recipe, which requires about 4 hours of cooking time. But that doesn't work for my schedule for the next several days.

So, I figure I can either cook it in the pressure cooker or in the crockpot (or wait till the weekend, but I need it out of the fridge...and we've got to eat something for dinner).

I've never done either of these (actually, I have maybe only cooked a roast once or twice before...can you tell?) but my cookbooks (Pressure Perfect by Lorna Sass, queen of the pressure cooker, and Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook) assure me that each of their methods produce exquisite results! Anyone tried both and want to tell me which will be better?

Thanks,
    ande

If I were short on time I'd use the pressure cooker. But either method produces a good pot roast.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

My mom always did it in the pressure cooker and it was always falling apart tender. She would then make a wonderful gravy in the pot with the leavings, and served with mashed potatoes. Mmmmmmmm ..... Personally, I'd make it that way - I've never had a lot of success with my crockpot. It always seems to come out bland and not very tender for me.
    Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.

--Helen Keller

This is good to hear, especially since I've decided that time-wise, it's pretty much got to be the pressure cooker at this point. My mom did lots of big hunks of meat in the pressure cooker, too, and it was always really good. My reservation about using the p.c. for the roast, though, is that that's what I always use for mashed potatoes and I'm not sure how I'll do both in the same cooker! The Pressure Perfect books says you can squeeze potatoes in around the roast and then mash them, but I'm not sure my picky kids will touch them if they're meat-flavored.

Thanks to both of you for your quick responses.
    ande

Potatoes is why I have 2 pressure cookers! My grown up kids are still rather picky about their mashed!

BTA: You could actually do the potatoes after the pot roast. After rinsing the pot it would only take another 15 minutes, including the time to come to pressure.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

That is why I always have 2 pressure cookers, a four quart and a 6 quart!
    Curleytop

Thanks to everyone for your help. I did it in the pressure cooker, using the Pot Roast w/ Mushroom Gravy recipe from Pressure Perfect as a guide (I actually didn't have any mushrooms, so it was obviously different from the intended result). It did turn out pretty good, but more dry than I was hoping for. It was a pretty lean hunk of meat (bottom round), so maybe that's why. Also, the recipe said 45-55 minutes for my size roast, and I did it 55 minutes, so that probably didn't help with the dryness.

I really liked her tip of rolling the roast in soy sauce first instead of browning. (Although maybe browning it first would help it stay more moist, too?) It did make it look and taste browned at the edges without the mess and extra time of doing the browning.

I also followed her suggestion to cook carrots on top of the roast in a foil packet and they were delicious! And I cooked the potatoes the old-fashioned way in another pot...that sure takes longer and makes a bigger mess. With roasted brussels sprouts and homemade applesauce it was a very tasty dinner. So, thanks for your help with that!

ande

Your dinner sounds delicious! Sorry to hear your meat was a little dry. I'm wondering if you added water to the pot when cooking the meat? My mom usually browns the meat with some onion and then pours in some water - it deglazes the pan a bit and keeps the meat moist.
    Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.

--Helen Keller