Community Message Boards

Thread: Help! Stabilizing Meringue

Exclamation Help! Stabilizing Meringue

I know there have been hints on how to do this (I seem to remember Sneezles posting something about this), but the search engine is not playing nice with me today.

I've been asked to bring the Cranberry Meringue Pie for my DD's TDay meal, and the extended weather report is calling for it to be rainy and showery next week (Tuesday through Saturday) so I need some advice on how to keep the meringue from weeping.

TIA!
    Last edited by syzygy; 11-22-2008 at 10:08 AM.
    ~ ~ Leslie ~ ~

I don't know the recipe you're referring to but the general rule of thumb is no less than 2 tbs sugar per egg white. If there is cream of tartar in the recipe you'll only need the sugar (there should be 1/8 tsp per egg white). You can also sub powdered sugar for the granulated (if there is no cream of tartar in the recipe) as the cornstarch will stabilize the meringue.

But the nature of the meringue will attract moisture with the amount of sugar. Be sure to put on the meringue when the filling is piping hot...meaning to make your meringue before the filling. That way the bottom of the meringue will be "cooked" by the residual heat.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Thanks, Susan.

There is cream of tartar in the recipe, so maybe I will just do as it's written, and I'll definitely make up the meringue first so I can put it on the hot filling (I probably would have otherwise let the filling cool as I made up the meringue. Don't do a lot of these kinds of pies so never would have known that.)

The pie recipe was originally posted by mrswaz around this time last year. I've edited my OP to include a link.
    ~ ~ Leslie ~ ~