Community Message Boards

Thread: Freezer Burn on Chicken Breasts

Question Freezer Burn on Chicken Breasts

I just took 2 boneless ch. breasts from the freezer and they have freezer burn. I know they aren't "bad" so I don't want to throw them out, but am trying to figure out the best way to cook them (tonight).

I'm thinking either a good breading so they don't dry out any more or poaching in chicken broth.

Any thoughts?

Danita

Personally I wouldn't use them. If they got burnt I can taste that all thru the meat. If you have no choice then poach them.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

OK...thanks for your input....I use to wrap the breasts individually, but since trying to cut back on plastic I've been freezing them individually and then into one larger bag - hence the freezer burn

Back to the freezer I go to pull out something else for dinner!

Danita

Is it freezer burn all over or just in a few spots? If it's in a few spots, then I would simply cut it off and use the rest of the chicken in a stir fry or soup or something that needed chicken pieces.

I couldn't afford to throw away everything that has freezer burn, only the bad two-year-old forgotten cases get tossed.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

All over....not one part was missed...I thought that I might be able to cut some away and stirfry what was left, but they weren't overly large and I couldn't save enough to do anything with

One thing I use for meats that really helps is the Handi-Vac bags. A gallon bag can hold a number of chicken parts -- I place them so there's a little space between then vac the air out. So, one "piece" of plastic for several items, it can be opened / resealed, and it works better than just saran wrap.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

I've had that problem, too! I'm just the one to forget things in the freezer, but I've solved the problem with a FoodSaver. Now, I see that someone, I think it's Reynolds Wrap, has a vacuum seal system that's less expensive...
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!