Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cool whip vs. homemade whipped cream?

Cool cool whip vs. homemade whipped cream?

Over Thanksgiving I realized people have very strong opinions on what they want on their pumpkin pie!
    So confess which is it?

On another note I started a new chemo, please wish me luck.
    TIA
    laurel
    laurel3

I much prefer homemade whipped cream. My next choice would be Redi-Whip (in the can) and last choice is Cool Whip.

Good luck to you in your treatment. I'm sending positive thoughts and prayers your way!

Wishing you ALL the luck...

I grew up with Cool Whip so it's not unusual for it to be at my mom's. If I'm making a dessert for guest then I make real. Or I should say DH does. Mine ususally breaks.

And really, good wishes to you.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

I've only had Cool Whip a few times, many many years ago, and don't care for it. Love the real thing. And, I don't recall ever tasting pumpkin pie --- but I claim I don't like it.

Just wanted to wish you all the luck. Sending good thoughts your way!!

Best wishes to you.

I'm a homemade whip cream fan. I'm also alright with Reddi Whip, just no Cool Whip!
    Blogging Fun
    Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. -Michael Pollan

Quote Originally Posted by cocoa'smom View Post
    I much prefer homemade whipped cream. My next choice would be Redi-Whip (in the can) and last choice is Cool Whip.

Good luck to you in your treatment. I'm sending positive thoughts and prayers your way!

Ditto! And the best of luck with the new chemo.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

on topic: i love, love, love real whipped cream but find it problematic since i can't stabilize it to store it. any tips are appreciated. so, next on the list in reddi-wip (extra creamy). then cool whip. i don't really knock cool whip as i grew up on it!

as for your treatment, i wish you all the best! if you don't mind me asking, what sort of cancer are you treating? my husband was diagnosed with acute lymphatic leukemia in september & we are going into round 4 of 7 tomorrow. i hope & pray your chemo treatments go well!
    What am I? Flypaper for Freaks?

No cool whip for me either since I read the label.
    The best of luck to you with your new treatment.

Homemade whipped cream is my favorite, but I'll be honest I do love the Reddi-Wip Fat Free (it tastes like tapioca to me for some reason). I would have never tried it if I weren't on the SB diet.

Best of wishes with your treatment!!!

Homemade whipped cream for me. Although in a pinch I've used Cool Whip.

Good thoughts coming your way. I hope your treatments go well.

For some reason, I always used to prefer Cool Whip but I am now reformed. In an effort to eliminate as much processed stuff as feasible, I won't buy Cool Whip anymore.

But I did find a recipe for homemade whipped cream that uses vanilla. This made all the difference for me - I had only ever added sugar. Now I no longer miss Cool Whip.

Best of luck with chemo.

I like the real stuff too!

Good luck and lots of prayers and good wishes in your treatment.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by lindrusso View Post
    For some reason, I always used to prefer Cool Whip but I am now reformed. In an effort to eliminate as much processed stuff as feasible, I won't buy Cool Whip anymore.

But I did find a recipe for homemade whipped cream that uses vanilla. This made all the difference for me - I had only ever added sugar. Now I no longer miss Cool Whip.
    I used to love eating the Cool Whip while it was still frozen.But it was my version of reduced fat ice cream. And btw, this was years ago before I was married!

And I've always used vanilla and powdered sugar since I started using real cream.

Though I do still buy the cans of Redi-Whip but only one of the 3 boys likes squirting it directly into the mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post

And I've always used vanilla and powdered sugar since I started using real cream.
    I've always added a tsp of vanilla, but I've never heard of using powdered sugar. That sounds really good!

Um, I thought that was the way everyone made it?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by TieKitty View Post
    I've always added a tsp of vanilla, but I've never heard of using powdered sugar. That sounds really good!

The powdered sugar stabilizes the cream so you can make it ahead of time.

Thanks. That is really good to know. I always use regular sugar. No wonder my whipped cream didn't stay "creamy" for very long. It's amazing how much I've learned on this BB.

sneezles, I remember my mother having a little serving of frozen cool whip for dessert when she was dieting, too.
    That's what I grew up with, but everyone else seemed to use cream, which was/is my preference. I don't always add vanilla but sometimes do, depending. With pumpkin I like to use a few drops of rum extract - there's really no end to mix ins.

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp
    And, I don't recall ever tasting pumpkin pie --- but I claim I don't like it.
    Someone has to ask the obvious...
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I will shamelessly admit that I went as far this year as to tell my mom that I would bring the whip cream as we have one of those dispensers that you put the whipping cream, vanilla and powdered sugar and an air cartridge in and it dispenses the whip cream....MMMMMM.....I couldn't stand another year of the cool-whip in a tub!

It has to be real whipped cream for me. I prefer not to add sugar or vanilla, but usually get over-ruled by the rest of the family, so I take a little out for me before adding. If I happen to be in Australia then this is definitely what I want on my dessert -

Double thick cream. No need to whip. Just open the container, spoon out a generous portion and dollop on dessert, and then watch all rational thoughts of calories fly out the window as you savor that first spoonful - mmmmmm

laurel3, wishing you all the best as you begin your new treatment. I'll keep you in my thoughts.
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

OMG, Felice, that is dangerous! I am very, very glad not to have that. Or a dispenser for cream, for that matter.
    I. love. dairy. All of it. No exceptions.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I'll admit to prefering Cool Whip. It's what I grew up with, and real whipped cream just doesn't taste "right."
    “the greatest risk of eating is getting run over on the way to buy your food, not from the food itself.”

Ian Shaw, Is It Safe To Eat?

I'll probably be the only one to say neither. I don't generally care for whipped cream OR Cool Whip, not on desserts and most definitely not sitting atop my espresso drinks. It just mucks up the flavor of what I *really* want to taste, which is the pie/cake/coffee/etc.

good luck with your treatment!

I love real whipped cream, preferably plain, but i wouldn't scoff at flavored and sweetened if put to it.

to me, cool whip is like eating sweet shaving cream-- sugary chemical taste. but each to his own.

i don't think you can serve fake whip on an elegant dessert though. it has to be real.

Quote Originally Posted by aggie94 View Post
    I'll probably be the only one to say neither. I don't generally care for whipped cream OR Cool Whip, not on desserts and most definitely not sitting atop my espresso drinks. It just mucks up the flavor of what I *really* want to taste, which is the pie/cake/coffee/etc.
    Me too. One of the first times I had dinner with DH's family, they made a pudding-type pie and asked if I wanted whipped cream on it. My reaction was like Cream on top of a creamy-pie? It didn't appeal to me. I don't care very much for whipped cream any way.

Ice cream on top of a warm apple pie is another story..
    Positive emotion trumps negative emotion every time. - Inception

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMom View Post
    Ice cream on top of a warm apple pie is another story..
    Oh yeah, that's a whole 'nother story.

Quote Originally Posted by aggie94 View Post
    I am another one who does not care for either one. I never had much exposure to cool whip growing up and I really do not like cream or milk tasting things. I prefer the pure taste of dessert!

ah, that's the secret! i've been using regular sugar. which tastes great but the whipped cream doesn't last at all.

i'll have to give it a whirl (ha) with powdered sugar & then perhaps i'll add some amaretto or kahlua which always makes it better.
    What am I? Flypaper for Freaks?

I like the real thing best, but often will turn to reddi-whip. I'm not a fan of cool whip on its own, but have a few pie recipes that I love that uses it as part of the filling.
    I'm walking in the avon walk for breast cancer AGAIN for the 5th year (2008)!

Donate Here

I love 'em all!

Good luck with your chemo!!!!!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!