Community Message Boards

Thread: White Cheese Dip/Queso

White Cheese Dip/Queso

I am looking for a homemade queso that will rival the creamy ones at Mexican restaurants (I love that stuff!). So far when I have tried to make it myself it ends up stringy or globby. I was thinking about one of these (looking for reviews) and am open to other suggestions as well. I'd like to enjoy this for the Super Bowl.

What do Mexican restaurants use to make theirs so creamy? I am assuming it is a Velveeta-like proceesed cheese, but I have never seen white Velveeta in the grocery store.

Chile Con Queso - I would use white Cheddar
    Recipe By :Eating Well Jan/Feb 09 - posted by ssusan

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 medium onion, -- chopped
    2 cloves garlic, -- minced
    ½ cup pale ale or other light-colored beer
    1 ½ cups low-fat milk, -- divided
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    1 ¾ cups shredded sharp Cheddar, -- preferably orange
    1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles (see Note -- drained, o
    2 tablespoons lime juice
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    Cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
    ¼ cup sliced scallions
    2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add beer and cook until reduced slightly, about 1 minute. Add 1 cup milk and bring to a simmer.
    2. Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1/2 cup milk and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the pan and cook, stirring vigorously, until bubbling and thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add cheese and cook, stirring, until melted. Stir in drained tomatoes, lime juice, salt, chili powder and cayenne (if using). Serve warm, garnished with scallions and cilantro.

Chile Con Queso – Steven Pyles
    Ingredients:
    1/2 onion diced (about 1/2 cup)
    4 cloves of garlic minced
    3 Serrano peppers diced
    3 jalapeno peppers diced
    2 tablespoons of butter
    2 tablespoons of flour
    1 cups of milk
    6 cups of shredded cheese, can use any combination of Longhorn cheddar and Monterrey Jack
    1/2 cup of cilantro, chopped
    2 plum tomatoes, peeled and diced (about 1/2 cup, can use canned if tomatoes aren’t in season)
    1/2 cup of sour cream
    Salt to taste

Method:
    1. Melt the butter in a saucepan on medium-low heat, and then cook the onions and peppers for about five minutes or until onions are translucent.
    2. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
    3. Whisk the flour into the butter, vegetable mix and cook for about 30 seconds.
    4. Add the milk to the pot, and cook on medium, whisking constantly until sauce is thick, about five minutes. Stir in the cilantro and tomatoes.
    5. Turn heat down to low, and a 1/4-cup at a time, slowly add the shredded cheese stirring into the white sauce until completely melted. Repeat.
    6. Stir in the sour cream.
    7. Add salt to taste.
    Notes: You can vary which chiles you use to control how hot you want the queso to be. Also, if the sauce is too thick, feel free to add a bit more milk a tablespoon at a time. The key, however, to a smooth sauce is adding the cheese very slowly and not adding any more cheese until the previous addition is completely integrated into the sauce.

Have you tried making a white sauce first, like for mac n cheese? I agree that they use some Velveeta like cheese in their dips, but the white sauce combined with some Velveeta plus monterey jack and chiles would work well I bet....
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Looks like that is what both of these recipes do...make a bechamel of sorts then mix in the cheese. I think I have tried this method before but I may have had my proportions wrong. You're right...I think that method will work best. But which one to try?

I knew I had done this before. Here is the post. I added a very spicy black bean dip, but I am sure you could just make up a spicy chile relish instead to put in it. And actually I did NOT use velveeta.

ETA I would try the Pyles recipe unless you know you want the beer flavor.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by miss piggy View Post
    What do Mexican restaurants use to make theirs so creamy? I am assuming it is a Velveeta-like proceesed cheese, but I have never seen white Velveeta in the grocery store.
    I've not seen a white queso, but there are some nice white Mexican melting cheeses that might be part of the solution. Queso quesadilla is one, asadero another. Chihuahua (yes, like the little dog) also melts well and has more flavor than quesadilla but the ones I've seen are light yellow, not white.

We just use Velveeta and RoTel, with a few extra "touches".

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by miss piggy View Post
    Chile Con Queso - I would use white Cheddar
    Recipe By :Eating Well Jan/Feb 09 - posted by ssusan
    We recently made the queso recipe that ssusan recommended and it was really good. Everyone at our party seemed to like it, it was gone before the other dips.

-Heather
    Finally blogging again at http://www.heathersblissfuljourney.blogspot.com/ Updated 1/4/12

Queso Blanco Mexican White Cheese Dip
    * 3 cups monterey jack cheese or asadero cheese or chihuahua cheese, shredded fine
    * 12 ounces green chilies
    * 3/4 cup half-and-half
    * 6 tablespoons onions, chopped fine
    * 6 teaspoons ground cumin
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    * 3 serrano peppers, chopped fine (optional)
    * 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped fine (optional)

Directions

Put all ingredients in a double boiler and heat on medium.
    Cook until melted and well blended, stirring occasionally.
    Serve with fresh tostadas or hot flour tortillas.

I found this one at Recipezaar. Seems like a pretty basic recipe.
    You can find out about Mexican cheeses at About.com and that might help with you cheese selection.
    Next to jazz music, there is nothing that lifts the spirit and strengthens the soul more than a good bowl of chili...Harry James

This recipe is good. The ingredients are scaled for a taste test for 2.

Mexican White Cheese Dip -

1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
    4 ounces green chilies
    4 tablespoons milk
    2 tablespoons onions, minced
    1 teaspoon ground cumin, more to taste
    1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
    1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped - for garnish

Heat ingredients, stirring occasionally, in a double boiler until the cheese is melted and the ingredients are blended.

Serve with tortilla chips or hot flour tortillas.
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

This is the recipe that I use for queso blanco. There is a Houston restaurant, Escalante's, that makes their own queso blanco and while I couldn't coax them into giving me their recipe, the waiter did say it had Muenster. Anyway this recipe is excellent!

CHILE CON QUESO BLANCO
    Categories: Appetizers, Dips, Cheese, Mexican
    Yield: 1 1/4 cups

1 c Asadero cheese; shredded *
    4 oz Jalapeños, chopped;
    -drained, OR
    4 oz Poblanos, deveined, roasted &
    -julienned
    1/4 c Mexican Crema or Half & half
    2 T Onion; finely chopped
    2 ts Cumin, ground
    1/2 ts Salt

Heat all ingredients over low heat, stirring constantly,
    until the cheese is melted. Serve warm with tostaditas.

(If this is made with julienned poblanos, it's called
    "queso con rajas de chile").

*Asadero is sold in rounds, sliced or unsliced. If it's from Wisconsin then it's more than likely Muenster without the rind. If it's from California it's a processed cheese and will sub just fine for the Mexican version. You could also try QuesoQueso but not Queso Fresco (it's too crumbly).
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!