Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with leftover cooked pork roast?

What to do with leftover cooked pork roast?

I have about 3 pounds of boneless pork roast (roasted with garlic and rosemary) left over from a dinner party last night. Any good suggestions on how to use it? TIA!
    Alicia

Is it a pork loin roast or more of a butt roast? If it's shreddable I'd chunk it up with two forks and toss it with a good BBQ sauce for pulled pork sandwiches, or simmer in a bit of spicy teriyaki sauce and serve over rice!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

How about a sweet and sour sauce

with pineapple chunks , served with rice . Another dish I make with left over pork is
    Nassi Goreng

Don't let the name fool you. Its a stir fry with rice and its delicious. Shrimp is usually used in it , but it tastes great with chopped cooked pork.
    2 tbsp oil
    1 tbsp butter
    3 slices bacon, chopped
    1 small onion , chopped
    1-2 cloves crushed garlic
    In a frying pan or wok, heat oil and butter, saute bacon, onions and garlic
    Add :
    1 tbsp chutney
    2 tsp soy sauce
    1 tsp coriander
    1/2 tsp Sambal Oelek(Optional) I usually forgo this as I never have it in the house)
    Mix well and add:
    1 leek of 2 green onions
    2 celery stalks, chopped
    Cook gently until almost done
    Add:
    3 cups cooked rice
    1/2 lb cubed pork , or more. I just use what ever I have left over.
    You can add shrimp, or chicken as well.
    Heat through , add salt and pepper to taste . This is a wonderful dish for left over pork , chicken , ham or shrimp.
    I got this recipe years ago from a Alberta community book.
    Remember words have no flavour, you have to add your own!
    Michael Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Is it a pork loin roast or more of a butt roast? If it's shreddable I'd chunk it up with two forks and toss it with a good BBQ sauce for pulled pork sandwiches, or simmer in a bit of spicy teriyaki sauce and serve over rice!
    It's a pork loin roast, not very shreddable at all. I suppose I could cut it into cubes and toss with the BBQ sauce, though. Keep the ideas coming, please!
    Alicia

I find reheated pork roast can be dry so I've often made it into a sandwich spread, kind of like a ham salad, but made with pork roast.

Grind up the trimmed pork in a food processor, mix with mayonnaise, chopped sweet onion, relish or pickles (chopped) a dash of worcestershire sauce, a dash of hot pepper sauce, salt, pepper.

Use as a sandwich filling.

Sounds like stir fry to me.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

How about one of these?
    Pork Chow Mein, Shepherds pie, Sweet and Sour Pork, Pork Lo Mein, Pork Fried Rice, Pork Tetrazzini, Green Chili Stew, Pork Strogtanoff,Pork Chow Suey, or even an open faced sandwich with gravy and mashed potatoes.
    Next to jazz music, there is nothing that lifts the spirit and strengthens the soul more than a good bowl of chili...Harry James

How about Cuban sandwiches? Here's a recipe from AB and the Food Network.

Cuban Sandwich courtesy of Alton Brown
    Ingredients
    4 hoagie rolls
    2 tablespoons yellow mustard
    1/4 pound baked ham, thinly sliced
    1/4 pound roast pork, thinly sliced
    1/4 pound provolone cheese, thinly sliced
    10 thin dill pickle slices, approximately 2 whole pickles
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature

Slice the bread horizontally in half, leaving 1 edge intact. Lay the bread open and spread each side with the mustard. Divide the ingredients evenly among the slices of roll. Start with the ham followed by the pork, cheese, and dill pickles. Bring the tops and bottoms together.

Heat your panini maker or sandwich press. Butter each side of the press. Place the sandwiches inside, press down and grill until the cheese is melted and the bread is flat and browned, approximately 10 minutes. If you don't have a sandwich press, you can heat 6 fireplace bricks wrapped in foil, in a 500 degrees F oven for 1 hour and then press the sandwich between them for 10 minutes. Serve warm.

I nearly always make burritos/soft tacos with leftover pork. Just cube it up, toss in a saute pan with some ground cumin/chili powder. Saute some onions and peppers, heat some refried beans, or black beans with garlic and seasoning. Throw all of that in a flour tortilla with salsa (I especially like the green tomatillo salsa with pork), yogurt, chopped tomato, lettuce, etc.

Not sure if this will work with the rosemary flavors in your roast, but usually it works with most flavors you've used on pork.

I'm new here and glad I've joined this forum. Found a lot of ideas here . Oh! And I dont usually do anything with my left overs...now I'm excited and am planning to try all these. Thanks guys!