Community Message Boards

Thread: Freezing Muffin Mix

Freezing Muffin Mix

Has anyone tried this. Here is some information I got off a site when I was researching. I would love to know if you have tried and if it was successful. It seems I am going to have a houseful on Easter weekend (yeah, in my 15 years of living here I have never had a holiday because no one wanted to drive here). This sounds like an easy thing to serve with all our hard boiled eggs on Easter morning.

"Here's another alternative to quick, nutritious breakfasts. You can actually freeze the muffin batter. Simply dish the batter into foil-cups in your muffin tin, quick-freeze, and then store them in a freezer bag labeled with the baking information. When ready to bake, return the muffin cups to the tin and bake as directed by the recipe, adding about 10 more minutes baking time."

I freeze cookie batters (some rolled, some dropped and frozen). But cakes and muffin batters are baked first.

To my mind, freezing muffin batter defeats the purpose of having QUICK and available muffins on a busy morning as I can whip up a batch in the extra oven time! (1 bowl whisking wet ingredients, 1 bowl with sifted dry ingredients)

Of course, this does not mean suggestion is not a good idea - I just don't see it as a big time saver for us.

Most every day I bake a batch of breakfast muffins. After cooling, they are individually frozen. Next morning I warm in oven (if topping needs to be crunchy and/or if I have time) or gently warm in microwave (1-2 minutes on low power?).

Dolores
    "we can't go 'round measuring our goodness by what we don't do, by what we deny ourselves, what we resist and who we exclude...
    we've got to measure goodness by what we embrace, what we create, and who we include."
    Pierre Henri in Chocolat
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.photographybydolores.com

I say give it a try and let us know. Just popping them in the oven and going off to do something else would be so easy! Do let us know.

There is a freeze before baking recipe in CI's The Best Make-Ahead recipe - I tried it with the blueberry variant, and I was not impressed. It lacked the flavor of most of my favorite muffin recipes, but ingredient-wise it didn't call for them either. The concept was nice, and imo totally worth the effort to improve it. I'd be very tempted to just take the obvious flavor additions from a favorite muffin recipe and try it in this base. Also one tip for when you freeze them...use paper muffin cups. I couldn't get them out of my extremely well-greased muffin tins for anything. The tops of these are really bland too - I'd add some coarse sugar for looks before freezing.

Anytime Muffins (modified recipe from kittenpants.livejournal.com)

3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (15 oz)
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    10 tbsp butter, softened (1 1/4 sticks)
    1 cup sugar (7 oz)
    2 large eggs
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract (modification from the CI recipe)
    1 1/2 cups plain whole milk yogurt

1. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper baking cups; set aside. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl; set aside.
    2. Using an electric mixer at medium speed, cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla.
    3. Reducing the mixer speed to low, add half the flour mixture, and mix. Add 1/2 cup of yogurt, mix, and scrape the bowl. Add half the remaining flour, mix, 1/2 cup of yogurt, mix and scrape the bowl. And do the same with the rest of the flour and the remaining 1/2 cup of yogurt. Portion the batter evenly into the muffin tin (it looks like a lot of batter -- the cups will be very full).
    4. OPTIONAL STEP: STORAGE. You can spray cooking oil on plastic wrap, cover the muffin tin, and throw 'em in the fridge overnight. Or freeze 'em, and when the batter balls are frozen solid, transfer them to a freezer bag.
    5. BAKING. Heat the oven to 375F and adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position. Bake the muffins until golden brown: 25 to 30m minutes if room-temp or refrigerated, 35-40 minutes if frozen. Let the muffins cool 5 minutes before serving.

Variants (including one from the site I found the modified recipe version):
    Chocolate-Cherry
    Fold 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips and 1 1/4 cup chopped dried cherries to the finished batter. I wonder if replacing the vanilla with a splash of Kirsch would help pop the cherry flavor?

Apple Cranberry Spice
    Add 1 tsp each cinnamon and allspice to the flour mixture. Fold one (6 oz) bag of Welch's dried cranberries and cinnamon apples into the finished batter (break up the large clumps o' apple before stirring 'em in).

Apricot Almond
    Replace vanilla with almond extract; fold 1 cup diced dried apricots into the finished batter.

Lemon Poppyseed
    Add 2 1/2 tablespoons of poppyseeds and the zest from one huge or two medium lemons to the flour mixture.

Cranberry Orange
    Add the zest from one orange to the flour mixture, and fold in 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh (or thawed frozen) cranberries into the finished batter.

Blueberry
    Toss 2 cups fresh blueberries with 1 tbsp flour, and fold into the finished batter. Apparently if you use frozen berries, they should be thawed, rinsed, dried, and you can skip the flour thing.

Banana Pecan
    Replace sugar with 1 cup packed light brown sugar. Add 1/2 tsp nutmeg to the flour mixture. Stir 1 1/2 cups finely diced bananas and 3/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans into the finished batter.
    -- Nancy

I wanted to report back that I gave this a try this weekend. I made some strawberry choc. chip muffins. It worked great. My kids loved it because they can throw then in the oven, hop in the shower and there are hot muffins ready when they are done.

I really wanted this for Easter because I am going to have a house full. It will be one less thing for me to worry about.

What recipe did you use? I finally got around to playing with this recipe again last weekend; I compared it to quite a few of my favorite muffins, and it turned out to have more flour than most of the recipes I looked at while keeping about the same amount of moisture. I got a good result on my altered fresh version of a Cocoa Cranberry Muffin, but I still haven't done them frozen - been waiting until the weekend.
    -- Nancy

I made Strawberry Surprise Muffins from Family Fun Magazine, here is the link: http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefi...splay?id=14910

The only thing I did different is I did not use any kisses or jelly, I just added some chocolate chips and I added a scoop of Whey Protein powder. I usually make it with the jelly and kisses but I thought it would be easier to freeze with the CC's