Community Message Boards

Thread: UHT processed Milk? Ok or avoid?

UHT processed Milk? Ok or avoid?

I purchased a three pack of 8 fl oz milks - its Horizon Organic Reduced Fat Milk yesterday - I generally don't put as much focus on buying organic foods as I imagine a lot of members on here do, so my reason for buying this was more for the convenient packs than the fact that it was organic.

I was VERY surprised this morning when I noticed it doesn't expire until May!! This freaked me out initially because I assumed it must of been packed full of preservatives. After inspecting the label I see it says "UHT processed for longer shelf life".

I've done a search and found this means Ultra High Temperature Processing - and it appears that its just processed differently than regular milk, and not so much the use of preservatives (or so I think?) like I thought that makes it last longer.

I will admit it taste funny and I'm probably not going to buy this again and yes, it's a little bit of a mental game going on with me with the date and it saying it doesn't have to be refrigerated, BUT just for curosity sake, you guys on here that avoid the processed foods and try and live a really healthy life style, would you buy this type of milk or avoid it?? Are all organic milks processed this way? If not, is this UHT processed organic milk just as good, worse or better as regular processed organic millk?

It was processed that way to make it shelf stable. I buy very little processed food, but buy this type of milk to put in my sons' lunchboxes.

It's perfectly safe.

When we lived in Singapore it was the only milk readily available that you didn't have to spend a week's salary on! It is shelf stable for a long time but once it's opened it has the same time frame as regular milk. It does or at least did have a peculiar tatse that I had to get used to...
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

FWIW - there are some countries where UHT is the drink of choice. When I lived in Japan we drank UHT more frequently than we did regularly pasturized. You're right too, UHT tastes different but in cooking it isn't that noticable (unless you are cooking something that is heavy on milk). The other exposure for me was in the Navy, we stocked UHT to use when we weren't getting regular fresh food deliveries. So go ahead and drink away, maybe to make it taste better make it into Chocolate milk (Chocolate UHT actually tastes pretty good).
    Peace,
    Les
    Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deut. 31:6 (NIV)

Reflections on life and spirituality can be found at https://revles.wordpress.com

Visit my new ministry site: St. John's Episcopal church, Suffolk VA.

Drink away. My daughter, who lives in Germany, buys this all the time for a couple of reasons. She buys organic for the kids, and their refrigerator is sooo small she would be buying milk every day. I drink it when I'm there, and I don't notice any strange taste.

Ok - well thanks for telling me it's ok - I think if it had actually been chilled when I drank it I might not have been that put off by it, but I had put it in my bag this morning before I left and didn't drink it until I had gotten settled at my desk. It kind of reminded me of what unflavored soy milk taste like - it was kind of watered down and chalky tasting. I actually like vanilla soymilk though