Community Message Boards

Thread: Anyone know how to use alt codes from a laptop?

Anyone know how to use alt codes from a laptop?

I have a new recipe manager program that I want to store all my recipes in, but I cannot figure out how to use alt codes from my laptop (it doesn't have numbers on the right of the keyboard, and the it doesn't work with the numbers on top). I really hate having to type 1 1/2 etc. instead of using alt + 0189. I have tried figuring this out from google, but nothing seems to be working at all. I have seen some sites that say to turn on the number lock key before doing it, but I don't see a number lock key either. Help!

I'm sure it depends on the computer but I have a Dell and here's how mine works.

I have some commands written in blue on the regular keys. For instance, my "k" has a blue "2" on it. I also have a button down near the "ctrl" key that has a blue "Fn" on it. When you use this button in conjunction with the blue commands, you get those commands. But for alt codes, you need to also press down the "alt" key.

So for the degree symbol, I would press "fn" and "alt" at same time and while holding those down, type in 0186 using the blue numbers.

That's probably clear as mud!

On my laptop (a Dell) the number lock key is on the topmost row next to the F-keys.

But putting it in action doesn't let me use Alt+ codes.

Alt+ codes from a laptop are only usable on certain sites and this is not one (right now none of the codes work on this board).

Usually with a laptop you have to open the character map and do a copy/paste option.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Quote Originally Posted by lindrusso View Post
    I have some commands written in blue on the regular keys. For instance, my "k" has a blue "2" on it. I also have a button down near the "ctrl" key that has a blue "Fn" on it. When you use this button in conjunction with the blue commands, you get those commands. But for alt codes, you need to also press down the "alt" key.

So for the degree symbol, I would press "fn" and "alt" at same time and while holding those down, type in 0186 using the blue numbers.
    ? ?

It works! Sort of...

When I try to do the degree one though, it won't work at all.
    Any idea why???

Oh man.. When I was typing the previous post it came up as 1/4 and 1/2, but now they're showing up as question marks!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea_2 View Post
    Oh man.. When I was typing the previous post it came up as 1/4 and 1/2, but now they're showing up as question marks!

The codes are not presently working on this site. I posted over at the tech support board a couple of days ago but it's not been fixed yet...see my previous post...
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Thanks Sneezles! I just went to read your thread on the tech support thread. I don't think I'd ever looked at that part of the board before. Funny how this topic had just come up, and unfortunate for me that this board was the only place I used to test using the symbols on my laptop! I will try it out on the recipe program itself. Hopefully it will work there.