Community Message Boards

Poll: Do you return the missed call?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell phone missed calls?

Cell phone missed calls?

When you have a missed call on your cell phone from a number you don't recognize do you return the call? Why or why not?
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

I occasionally will misdial a phone number and realize it when I get their voice mail, so I hang up. I frequently get a call back and I always am amazed that someone would return a call to an unknown number with no message.

Am I alone???

I don't- I figure if it's someone legitimate who's trying to reach me, they'll leave a message and/or call again.

I voted other because the first several times I got them, I tried returning the call on my landline....sales calls, no longer existing lines, etc...
    now I just delete 'em.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Haha, jumped the gun because I juuuust had a conversation with someone about missed calls. DBF had an employee who didn't return them if there was no v.m. Sorry, but if my boss tried to reach me, I'm calling back v.m. or no v.m. I realize that wasn't the question, but it's the reason I voted "yes" before paying attention .
    I would not return a call from an unrecognized phone number.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Nope. If it's someone who's trying to get a hold of me, they should leave a message. Otherwise, I figure it's a mis-dial and to be ignored.

And, I generally won't answer if it rings and I don't recognize the number. But that's just me.
    Blogging it! A healthy serving of books, a dash of food, a splash of knitting, all topped off with the occasional trip. Serving recipe reviews on Mondays, book reviews on Thursdays.

Scifi with a Dash of Paprika

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    Haha, jumped the gun because I juuuust had a conversation with someone about missed calls. DBF had an employee who didn't return them if there was no v.m. Sorry, but if my boss tried to reach me, I'm calling back v.m. or no v.m. I realize that wasn't the question, but it's the reason I voted "yes" before paying attention .
    I would not return a call from an unrecognized phone number.

My scheduler will stalk you and call repeatedly until you call her back (and she doesn't leave a msg). I've told her if she needs to speak to me, LEAVE a message. Otherwise, I don't call her back either. So, I don't always return a call to my office either (but usually talking after hours)

I have called back on a couple of occassions, but that was only because there were messages and the people sounded like elderly people who were looking to change information on their status for tax purposes or wanted to find out something about their finances. I called to let them know they called the wrong number. My cell phone number must be close to some sort of financial institution because I've gotten numerous calls regarding people's finances. Otherwise, I don't call people back, message or not.

I voted other. Sometimes I make a call from a landline, but give my cell # for the caller to call me back. So, if I'm expecting to receive a call from a number I don't know I'll answer it. Or if there is a message or missed call from a number I don't know but I was expecting a call I'll call it back.

Otherwise I don't call back.

Our daughter abused the land line and DH and my cells, so we don't return any call on any of the phones unless we know the area code or there is a recognizable name or no. If you call me or the dh and don't get us, you must leave a message or we don't return the call.

Sorry, I jumped the gun too and voted Yes before I realized it was for numbers I didn't recognize...
    I'll admit if I'm sitting at my computer I sometimes I do a reverse-lookup on these and if I were to recognize who's calling, I would call them back. Very few people have my cell # though so I don't think this has happened.

I voted no. The way I figure, if I don't recognize the number and you don't leave a message, I'm not wasting my minutes to find out what you wanted.

I recently read an article about how the generation coming into adulthood views leaving a message as a pointless exercise. Some unbelievably high percentage of voicemails don't ever even get listened to because users simply return calls based on caller id. The guy who wrote the article said his kids were annoyed that he always left them a message when he called. In their opinion, there was no point. They said they'd call him back when they saw he had called.

This made me think about when I was a teenager and we were just starting to use answering machines. My grandparents' generation, and even my parents' generation to a lesser extent, really resisted leaving a recorded message. They figured they would just try again later because that's the way they were used to doing it. Over time things changed, and now we're really only willing to try to reach someone once or twice. If we get no answer, or God forbid, a busy signal, we get frustrated and consider them unreachable.

So, now the technology is changing again. With the prevalence of caller id, leaving a message ("Hey, it's me. Call me back when you can") in many cases really is pointless.

It will be interesting to see where the technology will take us next.

I know none of this even remotely answers the question, but it's all related and I think it's really fascinating!
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

This drives me crazy! I am amazed that people have the time to go through and call their missed calls. I usually don't even return a missed call if I recognize the name/number it is from. Most people who call me know that if they need me to call them back they should leave a message, and if I just see a missed call I assume they were just calling to chat and we just catch up at another time.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

Quote Originally Posted by clairea View Post
    I am amazed that people have the time to go through and call their missed calls.
    I believe the reverse of this is actually the argument of the young people who return missed calls rather than listening to messages. It apparently takes seconds to click through a list of missed calls compared to minutes to listen to messages.

Just sayin'.

I'm a message leaver and listener myself. But apparently we're old fogeys tied to the old way of doing things.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

Quote Originally Posted by Varaile View Post
    Nope. If it's someone who's trying to get a hold of me, they should leave a message. Otherwise, I figure it's a mis-dial and to be ignored.

And, I generally won't answer if it rings and I don't recognize the number. But that's just me.
    It is not just you, it is me too
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

no, never. But someone did this to me recently and I thought it was very strange. I was returning a vm and dialed the wrong area code (we have 3 in this city). Well the guy called me back, questioned me a few times about what my business name was and what I do - then he said well you must have miss dialed me because I don't like sweets (he was a little mean about it). Then I realized he was the guy I had miss dialied - so strange. If it was the correct number I would have left a message.

Quote Originally Posted by Robyncz View Post
    I recently read an article about how the generation coming into adulthood views leaving a message as a pointless exercise. Some unbelievably high percentage of voicemails don't ever even get listened to because users simply return calls based on caller id. The guy who wrote the article said his kids were annoyed that he always left them a message when he called. In their opinion, there was no point. They said they'd call him back when they saw he had called.

This made me think about when I was a teenager and we were just starting to use answering machines. My grandparents' generation, and even my parents' generation to a lesser extent, really resisted leaving a recorded message. They figured they would just try again later because that's the way they were used to doing it. Over time things changed, and now we're really only willing to try to reach someone once or twice. If we get no answer, or God forbid, a busy signal, we get frustrated and consider them unreachable.

So, now the technology is changing again. With the prevalence of caller id, leaving a message ("Hey, it's me. Call me back when you can") in many cases really is pointless.

It will be interesting to see where the technology will take us next.

I know none of this even remotely answers the question, but it's all related and I think it's really fascinating!
    Huh, I'm "old" and I also don't bother listening to most messages (sometimes yes, sometimes no - depends) on my missed calls. If I see that my good pal "Joe" called and I missed it, I call him back regardless of whether he left he left a voicemail. I figure he called because he wanted to talk to me and the "missed call" indicates that.

As far as having the time to go through all the missed calls, well, I guess it depends how busy your phone life is. I don't have heaps and piles of missed calls - usually one or two when I was driving or walking down a busy city street or had the phone off while at the gym. I guess if it were a huge undertaking of many dozens of calls, I wouldn't bother. But if I saw that my best friend/building super/s.o. had called -- yea, I'd call back. I take that as a "Tag - you're 'it'". As Robyn suggested, it's quicker to call back on the assumption they'd called for a reason, rather than plod through the v.m. that ends with "anyhow, gimme a call!" I figure the missed call = "gimme a call!" Especially professionally. I was really surprised when DBF told me his employee, on a six-figure salary at that, didn't return "missed calls" because he didn't think it necessary. Maybe it depends on your job/profession/career, but as posted above: if my boss calls (yes, even out of regular business hours) -- I call back.

Robyn, that's so funny about the answering machines! I'd totally forgotten that, but yea - people were embarrassed to talk to a machine, so they hung up!
    In the early '90s I worked on an ad campaign for a new product called "Call Return". How cool was that! If you missed a call, you just hit *69 and got the last number that called YOU! It was promoted, of course, as the solution to the aggravating scenario where one is rushing in the front door to a ringing phone...only to miss the call. Even THEN everyone had an answering machine, so I don't know what the point was. But then we put the product into market research and learned...well! It was being used for very different purposes. I remember one woman in a focus group saying, "He called and said he was working late, so I called *69 and got his SWEETIE on the phone!"
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

A large reason would be the context in which you find yourself when said missed call happens.

Let's say, you have lost a friend in a crowd or someone is late to meet you.

There are a number of reasons why ringing it back then would make sense.

M_D

No, I don't. I won't work any harder than they are to get ahold of me.

I'm amazed at how many people call though and say "did you call me!!" in a really rude tone of voice. Makes 'em look like total azzhats.
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

No, I don't return them--with the caveat being that I don't recognize the number. As Canice said, if it's friends or family, the missed call is enough to say, "Hey, I wanted to talk to you," and I call back. But...I recognize their numbers, and their names come up on my cell phone. Pretty much the only people whose names don't come up are people I don't know, which translates to "telemarketer." Friends and family know I don't return calls to unknown #s, so they will leave a message if they're calling me from somewhere else.
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

No. If they can't leave a message, I won't call back. Must not be important enough.

I recently read an article about how the generation coming into adulthood views leaving a message as a pointless exercise. Some unbelievably high percentage of voicemails don't ever even get listened to because users simply return calls based on caller id. The guy who wrote the article said his kids were annoyed that he always left them a message when he called.
    I despise checking my voice mail, and become irrationally irritated when my mom calls a few times a day, and her messages always say, "Hi Leigh, it's Mom. Give me a call." I've told her not to bother with leaving messages because I don't check them, and that I always call back when I can, but she persists. It also cracks me up because she starts every email off with "Dear Leigh," and ends with "Love, Mom." Moms - gotta love 'em!

My friends and I very rarely leave messages - we hang up as soon as VM comes on, and we just call each other back. I very rarely call family or friends' cell phones needing to leave a message though - I just call to talk. The only time I leave a message with close friends is if I've called several times and haven't heard back yet - then I leave a "where the heck are you???" message.

Obviously, if I'm calling for business reasons then I'll leave a VM.

I don't usually return missed calls from numbers I don't recognize unless I'm expecting a call. I assume if I don't know them well enough to recognize the phone number, then they'll leave a message if they want me to call back.

Editing to add - there is nothing I hate worse than needing to leave a VM, and having to listen to a 3 minute outgoing message: "Hi, you've reached the So-and-Sos at 555-555-5555! We can't come to the phone right now, but if you leave your name, number, and a brief message, we'll get back to you as soon as we can! Thanks so much, and have a blessed day!" This drives me absolutely batty!!!! Doesn't everyone know how to leave a message at this point?!? One of my friends has the above message, along with the stupid VM system thing where she instructs you to "Push 1 if you want to leave a message for Jim Bob, or Push 2 to leave a message for Sue Ellen." ACK!!!! I much prefer "Hi - you've reached the Brown's. Please leave a message."

Quote Originally Posted by Cookin4Love View Post
    No, I don't return them--with the caveat being that I don't recognize the number. As Canice said, if it's friends or family, the missed call is enough to say, "Hey, I wanted to talk to you," and I call back. But...I recognize their numbers, and their names come up on my cell phone. Pretty much the only people whose names don't come up are people I don't know, which translates to "telemarketer." Friends and family know I don't return calls to unknown #s, so they will leave a message if they're calling me from somewhere else.
    x2

However, I do typically leave messages if I want to talk to someone because around here it's easy to have situations where my friends are in the mountains and in a dead spot so my number never came up on the caller ID.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

I don't return them unless I recognize the number. I do have my cell as my only phone right now. I am amazed however, at the rudeness and vague messages that some recruiters leave from pulling off resumes off monster, etc.

I would bet that this has a lot to do with Caller ID AND Text Messaging. I think kids these days text a lot. They can send an instant message, rather than leaving a voice message that may or may not get heard. Me, I'd rather leave a message or call back than text. I can't seem to figure out the key pad and corresponding letters fast enough to bother (I'm one of those people with what is probably considered an ancient phone). With the ID and text, there's really no need to leave a message, unless it's of the utmost urgency to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by zwieback View Post
    I would bet that this has a lot to do with Caller ID AND Text Messaging.
    Yes. This was also addressed in the article. It talked about the development of technology that would change voice messages to text messages. . . which seemed kind of pointless to me since I don't text.

But--that could be me resisting new technology, just like my Nana did!

To answer the original question, No, I don't call back. Am I the only one that doesn't even look at my caller ID to see who called me???

DH does call me back if I just dial his number and he doesn't answer first. I used to leave him messages but he always just called me back first, before listening to the messages so now I don't leave messages. Just calling his phone is enough to get him to call me back. This thread makes me wonder if he does that with the folks he works with too???? I will ask him tonight!

Leightx - I agree about having to endure the 3 minute message first before being able to leave an important message for some folks. The only two things that are worse are the phones you call and instead of ringing, the phone is programed to play some stupid song or (sorry if this offends anyone but a HUGE pet peeve of mine) when people have the 3 minute message on their answering machine and it is the voice of their 3 yr old so you can't even understand who's phone number you actually called!
    Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by leightx View Post
    It also cracks me up because she starts every email off with "Dear Leigh," and ends with "Love, Mom." Moms - gotta love 'em!
    Thanks for giving me a good laugh! That is exactly what I do when emailing our DDs. And I write individual Christmas cards by hand to all our friends. Hello from the dinosaur...

I get so many wrong number calls on my cell phone there is no way I pay attention unless they leave a message. Not thrilled about the voice mail service either: please enter your code then press pound - you have x saved messages and y new messages - to listen to your messages... - first voice message... What a waste of my time.

On another note, I am very curious who had our land-line number before us as we've received several collect calls from prison over the years. Fortunately there has always been the option to decline any communication.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

I don't return missed calls.

I am presently fighting a battle with those robocalls that were popularized by John McCain. I just got one of these "withheld" calls on my cell phone a few minutes ago. :mad: